Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the news - the Ford Explorer is the most traded in vehicle in the Cash 4 Clunkers Program - and the most new car purchased was the Ford Focus...

FWIW,
Carl B.
BTW - it looks like the Senate will approve the additional funds for C4C

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
my 2005 Ford Focus really has no problems with it since I bought it. There was a problem with the rear axle that the warranty covered but that's it.

good little cars. too small for my 6'6" frame though. my knees are too high in the air when I drive it. good thing my wife is 5'3" because it's her car.

·
Banned
288 Posts
According to the news - the Ford Explorer is the most traded in vehicle in the Cash 4 Clunkers Program - and the most new car purchased was the Ford Focus...

FWIW,
Carl B.
BTW - it looks like the Senate will approve the additional funds for C4C
Do you have a link? I'd like to see a list (if there is one).

·
Registered
274 Posts
That was my other option. I actually had $500 down on a silver Focus with the Sync, Moonroof & Stereo package but the car ended up being sold so they couldn't transfer it. They wanted me to pick red or blue but I wasn't really sold on any of them, I was sort of buying it because my friend was my salesperson. Once they couldn't get silver I had my out and bought the Soul.

:D

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I stopped by the local Ford Dealers - all the Focus they had were loaded with extra cost options, or Black - and they were priced far above the Honda, Kia and Matrix. At the time Ford also offered no serious Factory Disconts for end of year models ...

FWIW,
Carl b.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have a link? I'd like to see a list (if there is one).
No link yet - it was reported on CNBC as they interviewed one of Fords Top Exceutives.. It did sound like CNBC had received updated info from NHTSA..

They had the head of NHTSA on a bit later - as he was pushing for support for CARS Program funding with the Senate..

FWIW,
Carl B.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
My local news said.

DOT said the top 10 most popular vehicles purchased under the cash for clunkers program are the Ford Focus, Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Toyota Prius, Toyota Camry, Ford Escape Four Wheel Drive, Hyundai Elantra, Dodge Caliber, Honda Fit and the Chevrolet Cobalt.
http://www.wpbf.com/news/20284303/detail.html

Edit: Looked at all but the Escape 4WD and they were all a lot more. At least at the dealers around here. At the time I looked none were doing any extra discounts like they are now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Good thing too, I would hate for the Soul to turn into what Scion has...turn my head around every corner and see that toaster on wheels....grinds my gears.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Scion lost it's path...which is why I bailed. I loved my original xB. When they bloated it and it became the soccer mom's new wagon I bailed. I loved the original xB design...very iconic. While I love the look of the Soul - it's not iconic...Cool looking little car though.

Although....The original xB was a controlled vehicle. Meaning that they purposely kept supply well below the demand. I had to wait a month to find one on a lot to test drive. Even then we had to order the car. Judging by the amount of Soul's the local dealer has had since day one it's coolness factor will be short lived with our without cash for clunkers numbers.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Scion lost it's path...which is why I bailed. I loved my original xB. When they bloated it and it became the soccer mom's new wagon I bailed. I loved the original xB design...very iconic. While I love the look of the Soul - it's not iconic...Cool looking little car though.

Although....The original xB was a controlled vehicle. Meaning that they purposely kept supply well below the demand. I had to wait a month to find one on a lot to test drive. Even then we had to order the car. Judging by the amount of Soul's the local dealer has had since day one it's coolness factor will be short lived with our without cash for clunkers numbers.
Ya true, true. The original Scion WAS Iconic but no empire lasts forever. We, on the forum, will always view the Soul as iconic since most are owners and wont nay say the whole production but I agree with the "losing its path" part

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Judging by the amount of Soul's the local dealer has had since day one it's coolness factor will be short lived with our without cash for clunkers numbers.
You seem to ignore the fact that the Soul came out in the U.S. market - in the worst recession we've had in 30 years. Unemployment pushing 12% in many parts of the country can cause a great deal of uncertainty and put potential buyers off. Not the mention the fact that about 2/3's of the people that used to qualify for a new car loan, no longer do. In the Soul / xBox market with a large percentage of marginal buyers to begin with - it makes the situation even worse. That could account for why about 26% of buyers of the Soul are much older than expected.

Nonetheless by the end of the year all available Souls in the U.S. will be sold. Dealers in many parts of the country are still putting $1,000.00 to #2,000.00 Dealer Market Adjustments on the window stickers - they'll try to get as much as they can, because they won't get enough cars to begin with. Larger "volume" Dealers will be discounting them - to keep their sales volumes up; because the Dealers that sell the most are allocated the most next year.

The xBox may well have been iconic - but if it was - it was among the 20 somethings... The Soul seems to be selling to a far broader market demographic. I believe that if Kia has supplied twice as many to the U.S. market, they wouldn't have had any trouble selling them all this year.

Just my opinion...
Carl B.

·
Registered
332 Posts
You seem to ignore the fact that the Soul came out in the U.S. market - in the worst recession we've had in 30 years. Unemployment pushing 12% in many parts of the country can cause a great deal of uncertainty and put potential buyers off. Not the mention the fact that about 2/3's of the people that used to qualify for a new car loan, no longer do. In the Soul / xBox market with a large percentage of marginal buyers to begin with - it makes the situation even worse. That could account for why about 26% of buyers of the Soul are much older than expected.

Nonetheless by the end of the year all available Souls in the U.S. will be sold. Dealers in many parts of the country are still putting $1,000.00 to #2,000.00 Dealer Market Adjustments on the window stickers - they'll try to get as much as they can, because they won't get enough cars to begin with. Larger "volume" Dealers will be discounting them - to keep their sales volumes up; because the Dealers that sell the most are allocated the most next year.

The xBox may well have been iconic - but if it was - it was among the 20 somethings... The Soul seems to be selling to a far broader market demographic. I believe that if Kia has supplied twice as many to the U.S. market, they wouldn't have had any trouble selling them all this year.

Just my opinion...
Carl B.
You either missed or I didn't state my point well:

One of the key things that kept the original xB "cool" was the limited availability. Some people had to wait 2-3 months just to get one. It wasn't a car you could just roll up at the dealer and pick out an endless series of options and drive off in.

The surefire way to kill off cool quickly...put everybody in one. Enter the Soul. There are just too many sitting there waiting on a driver. I don't blame kia for this, after all...they're made to be sold. But my main point was that while it's a catchy little ride and they did a good job designing it. The Iconic-ness isn't really there and the cool-trendy vibe we have going on right now won't last long at all simply based on the numbers we're capable of seeing people drive off the dealer lots.

Sidenote: Our nearest Kia dealership is 45miles away. I still think to this day I'm the only Soul in my city so thusfar I still get the head turns and questions. Incidentally, my original Scion xB was still novelty the day I traded her in on the Soul. It was at the end still almost a daily occurrence for someone to ask me xB questions (always amazed me how after 3 years there were still people that had never heard of Scion...gotta love Alabama).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You either missed or I didn't state my point well:

One of the key things that kept the original xB "cool" was the limited availability. Some people had to wait 2-3 months just to get one. It wasn't a car you could just roll up at the dealer and pick out an endless series of options and drive off in.
hi omeyga:
As I understood your point it was the the Kia Dealers seemed to have plenty of SOULs sitting around on their lots, where that had not been the case with the xB.

My point was that all Dealers have plenty of cars this year - as auto sales are down over 50%. My additional point was that due to the Banking Breakdown - marginal buyers that used to buy inexpensive cars have really been put out of the market.

The surefire way to kill off cool quickly...put everybody in one. Enter the Soul. There are just too many sitting there waiting on a driver. I don't blame kia for this, after all...they're made to be sold. But my main point was that while it's a catchy little ride and they did a good job designing it. The Iconic-ness isn't really there and the cool-trendy vibe we have going on right now won't last long at all simply based on the numbers we're capable of seeing people drive off the dealer lots.
I understand your concern - but the actual sales numbers don't seem to support it. Soul sales are planned to be about the same as xB sales were, and Soul sales seem to be in the same ball park as xB sales are this year.

One thing that the Soul seems to have going for it - that the xB didn't - is that the Soul seems to be appealing to a broader market demographic. This may help Kia meet its sales goals - where the more narrow appeal of the xB may hurt Scion this and next year. Scion xB sales are running about 50% of the previous year.

Both cars were admittedly aimed at Gen Y - and xB seems to have hit that market at the right time and captured Gen Y sales. Soul on the other hand seems to have hit the market at a not so good time, but has made up for it with a Design that has broader appeal.

U.S. Scion xB Sales - Yearly
2003- - - - -6,936 California Only 105 Dealerships(2004 model)
2004- - - - -47,013
2005- - - - -54,037
2006- - - - -61,306
2007- - - - -45,834
2008- - - - -45,220

Scion xB Sales 2009:
Jan- - - - - - -1,715
Feb- - - - - - -1,640
March- - - - -2,090
April- - - - - -2,036
May- - - - - - -2,216
Jun- - - - - - -1,869
July- - - - - - - 2,838
- - - - - - 14,404 year to date

U.S. SOUL SALES 2009
Feb.- - - - - - - - -34
March- - - - - -1,246
Apr-- - - - - - -3,228
May- - - - - - -3,855
June- - - - - - -2,811
July- - - - - - - 4,853
- - - - -- - 16,027 year to date

Kia in the USA expects to sell 20,000 units from introduction in March though Sept. and 50,000 units during the first full year of sales.{Fiscal Year Oct though Sept.}

Sidenote: Our nearest Kia dealership is 45miles away. I still think to this day I'm the only Soul in my city so thusfar I still get the head turns and questions. Incidentally, my original Scion xB was still novelty the day I traded her in on the Soul. It was at the end still almost a daily occurrence for someone to ask me xB questions (always amazed me how after 3 years there were still people that had never heard of Scion...gotta love Alabama).
Actually - I do love Alabama. I don't expect it to change much either, but over time the manufacturer that delivers the vehicles the people of Alabama want to buy, with the best quality at affordable price points - will win there. I mean my goodness - we not have Toyota running NASCAR and Trophy Trucks. Who knows what will happen next - a major Kia Plant in Alabama perhaps??

I will be interesting to watch and see how Kia makes out ...
FWIW,
Carl b.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Excellent discussion, gentlemen.

Cordial and respectful. If this were a Scion xB forum, the fur would be flying!
I own, and Love my 2008 xB. I love it so much, I hardly drive it. Bought it 6/07. to date it has barely 5k miles and, 4 oil changes. It has only suspension performance mods. No disco, all business.
I will say though, I do love Saffrons Soul. I take excellent care for her car as if it was my own.

Isn't Love grand:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts