Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In researching, I came across the, possibly obvious?, notion that having more sidewall reduces the risk of wheel damage from potholes?

So if I go from my stock 235 45r18 to the 215 55r17 for my 2016 Kia Soul then I'd be adding aspect ratio which in turn keeps the rims a tad bit safer? Ultimately proving to be the better investment when looking towards the years ahead.

I mention all this due to the hell my tires and rims have gone through after this past Winter.

Hope I got that terminology right. I'm a total noob with cars.

Thanks in advance, ;-)

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
As a fellow NYC resident I concur.
More sidewall does protect the rim but not without a price.
For me though, the 18's simply offer up too stiff a ride for these NYC (mean) streets.
I find the 16's perfectly adequate and after 6 years of ownership I have No rim dents/dings and the alignment is still spot on.
It really comes down to where your priorities lie.
If handling is paramount then the 18's are a better choice.
If comfort is you concern then the 16's will offer up a better ride quality.
With limited suspension travel and already quirky handling I'm happy with the 16's the car came with.
I even considered going with 15's in a wheel & tire package from Discount Tire Direct as it was cost effective at the time.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
For me though, the 18's simply offer up too stiff a ride for these NYC (mean) streets.
I find the 16's perfectly adequate and after 6 years of ownership I have No rim dents/dings and the alignment is still spot on.
With limited suspension travel and already quirky handling I'm happy with the 16's the car came with.
I even considered going with 15's in a wheel & tire package from Discount Tire Direct as it was cost effective at the time.
Dealer told me that 15's would not work, because of the Brake Disk fitment would not fit...
Note: In Florida the roads are Fair to Good, so my 18's ride Fair to Good, but in your NYC there are Pot holes that would SUCK up a CAR...YIKES

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey there Sradiator! Yeah, it's been brutal this past season. Here in the city and almost everywhere just beyond.

So wait...might the 16 be an option for the 2016 Soul? I have seen souls (presumably 2015-16) out there with seemingly smaller tires/rims.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Hey there Sradiator! Yeah, it's been brutal this past season. Here in the city and almost everywhere just beyond.

So wait...might the 16 be an option for the 2016 Soul? I have seen souls (presumably 2015-16) out there with seemingly smaller tires/rims.
The 2016 base had 16 inch as standard...no?

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Dealer told me that 15's would not work, because of the Brake Disk fitment would not fit...
Note: In Florida the roads are Fair to Good, so my 18's ride Fair to Good, but in you NYC there are Pot holes that would SUCK up a CAR...YIKES
I suppose that could be true just don't know if it is accurate or not?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 2016 base had 16 inch as standard...no?
I don't believe so. Even everywhere I go online, upon entering my vehicle information, I get back the 16 and 17" tires.
235 45r18
215 55r17

Is there someplace more official I can go to so's to look this all up? Would it be in the operator manual? Will fetch it later today.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Edit,

Looking through the manual, I just downloaded, I see mention of the 16.
205/60/R16 along with the 17 and 18 I mentioned.
Page 8/4 of the manual.

Wish I could copy and past but having trouble with the document.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I don't believe so. Even everywhere I go online, upon entering my vehicle information, I get back the 16 and 17" tires.
235 45r18
215 55r17

Is there someplace more official I can go to so's to look this all up? Would it be in the operator manual? Will fetch it later today.

I use the Discount Tire Direct database.
While it may not be absolute gospel in lays out oem as well as optional sizes that fit various vehicles pretty well.
They also have a tire size calculator which helps you figure out optional size comparisons.
F.W.I.W...If you capitalize on one of their periodic sales I think their prices/sales/service can't be beat.
I have bought more wheels & tires then I have fingers and toes and have never found anything that comes close to one of their sale prices!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use the Discount Tire Direct database.
While it may not be absolute gospel in lays out oem as well as optional sizes that fit various vehicles pretty well.
F.W.I.W...If you capitalize on one of their periodic sales I think their prices/sales/service can't be beat.
I have bought more wheels & tires then I have fingers and toes and have never found anything that comes close to one of their sale prices!
Thanks pal for that.
...will be checking them out again this evening. ;-)

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Thanks pal for that.
...will be checking them out again this evening. ;-)
Timing is the key to absolute amazing pricing.
You couple a D.T.D. sale with a manufacturers sale and they are practically paying you to take them away.
If time is on your side or you don't mind buying before you actually need them the savings can be HUGE!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Are you trying to keep from having to replace one damaged wheel by replacing 4 good wheels?

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Cyber said: "Hey there Sradiator! Yeah, it's been brutal this past season. Here in the city and almost everywhere just beyond"

By the time they get done repairing last years roads from winter plowing, this years winter is upon us!
Just 1 more reason I gave up motorcycling here in NY.
Pot holes big enough to be considered studio apartments...

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,651 Posts
Edit,

Looking through the manual, I just downloaded, I see mention of the 16.
205/60/R16 along with the 17 and 18 I mentioned.
Page 8/4 of the manual.

Wish I could copy and past but having trouble with the document.
Correct. 205.60.16 is the standard size on base 2015 and beyond.

I replaced those with 225.55.16.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I own a 2016 SX with the 18" rims and tires, and I would state that 18" rims are way overboard for this car. as matter of fact the only cars I see in need of bigger rims with low profile tires are high performance cars. The Mid and full size cars in the past had usually 15" or at most 16" rims that were perfectly adequate.
IMHO 16" rims would be the perfect size for the SOUL.

Pat.

Reactions: Neanderthal

·
Registered
4,435 Posts

I just went with a set of Cooper Zeon G1's in the 225/55/16 size.
Odd thing is while they are a performance tire they somehow take on the appearance of an off road tire due to their aggressive side walls.
What I have read was mostly good and have been pleased with the Cooper brand for the most part.
That coupled with both Cooper and D.T.D. rebates just sweetened the deal even more.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,530 Posts

My 2014 base came with 16/205. They've been great. I like the "H" rating....you know...for when I drive 130 mph :)

Photo-0166.jpg

Reactions: Neanderthal

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are you trying to keep from having to replace one damaged wheel by replacing 4 good wheels?
There may be more than one damaged wheel. Haven't yet been able to check fully since the damage is likely on the interior. Regardless, I've got two tires with bubbles, one of which only materialized after a rotation the other day. How'd that happen? Beats me. Maybe due to it being moved to the front and the xtra weight there? Don't know.

Anyhow, I can barely afford to be doing this all now, much less down the road if/when the situation repeats itself and worsens. Better to nip it in the bud now. Plus, one of these leftover 18" wheels will go towards my spare. Which is a whole 'nother discussion. lol.

'and as Sradiator mentioned, the potholes round here are dangerous.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts