Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter just purchased this 2010 Soul. It has a few miles and is a little rough but she got it at a good price. The passenger side mirror occasionally falls out. It hangs there by what I assume to be the heated mirror wires and we can snap it back into place, but it will fall out again if the door is shut to hard.

Before I put super glue on the plastic frame and snap it back in one last time, does anyone else have a better idea of how to make it stay in?

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
My daughter just purchased this 2010 Soul. It has a few miles and is a little rough but she got it at a good price. The passenger side mirror occasionally falls out. It hangs there by what I assume to be the heated mirror wires and we can snap it back into place, but it will fall out again if the door is shut to hard.

Before I put super glue on the plastic frame and snap it back in one last time, does anyone else have a better idea of how to make it stay in?
I can only give you my experience with mirrors, not Souls in particular because I have not had any problems with them. I have been through what you describe and tried all kinds of fixes: glue and tape. The wires may be the positioning wires also. In the end, the mirrors take so much abuse because of their location, the only thing that really worked and kept it in place was to replace the mirror, housing and all. It is not a difficult job if you don't have to remove the inside door panel (again I have not done this on a Soul) but even if you do have to, it is only about an hour job.

BTW, welcome to the forums. You may be interested in this thread at some point: http://www.kiasoulforums.com/4-new-...ers-guide-user-frequently-asked-question.html

·
Registered
751 Posts
The inner cover should pry off with a flat screwdriver, then 3 screws hold it on. Is this whole assembly broke, or just the holding screws? Besides replacing, I would use gorilla glue to bond plastic parts as a final attempt before replacing, but because of the abuse they take with door closings, you may be looking at replacement.
Kiatechinfo.com should have the assembly instructions....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not the whole assembly. It's just the glass and the plastic circular frame mounted to the back of the glass. It snaps back into a circular mating frame inside the housing. RTV would probably be a better choice than super glue in case I someday needed to remove the glass and frame. From Kiatechinfo.com, it looks like replacing the whole assembly would not be difficult if I had to.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Rtv makes a bad adhesive in my experience. A polyurethane type adhesive like gorilla glue will be much stronger .

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Seal-all?

Without actually seeing how the pieces of the mirror attach,but from your comments that they are plastic
or hard surfaces that need a permanent bonding,I'd recommend using SEAL-ALL.
Forget the super glue/rtv.Why would you want to take this puppy apart?
SEAL-ALL is available at most auto parts store.Think Ace Hardware may handle.Great stuff.its basically
a contact cement in a tube.Its gas/waterproof.It sets up real quick.Just apply to both surfaces,hold for a minute--done.
I've used it for years.
Another item that is good to have on hand for all purpose bonding is windshield ribbon sealer.Again,most auto stores have.
Its a gummy black material available on a roll that is primarily used to bond a windshield to the car.I've found it can be used for many purposes.Tear off a small piece to attach a emblem or molding piece to your vehicle or anything else that needs
bonding.Got to be careful.Its very sticky and messy if smeared beyond the bonding areas.A small bit does the trick.
Its great stuff to have in your tool box for many uses.Could use this on the OP's mirror problem.

·
Registered
2012+ 2.0L W/Manual trans.
665 Posts
Rtv makes a bad adhesive in my experience. A polyurethane type adhesive like gorilla glue will be much stronger .
RTV is a good adhesive in my experience. It's waterproof properties would make it a good choice for this application. I've never used Gorilla Glue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts