Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't understand all the confusion about the KIA Souls 8th gear. I also don't understand KIA's reluctance to tout it as a selling feature. My salesman never mentioned it! I think that did me a great disservice.
On the IVT, the manually accessed 8th gear is what for decades was called "Over Drive".
Way back when, I've ridden in and even driven cars that had an "Over Drive" gear, that had to be activated by pushing a button, pulling a lever, etc....some form of manual activation from the driver.
So I see the 8th gear on the IVT to be nothing more than an "Over Drive" gear, which runs the engine at less RPM's to maintain an already achieved road speed, and save gas in the process.

At least on my Soul LX, there is NO instrumentation to tell me, moment by moment, what my fuel consumption (MPG) actually is. Some time back, I bought a device (Scan Guage II) that connects to the car and shows me the MPG as well as MPH, in real time.
View attachment 133148
This picture of the Scan Guage II, is for reference purposes. It was taken on a Kia Soul, but I'm just not sure which one...
my 2013 or my 2020. I suspect that it may have been my 2013...she got some really good MPG.

On a high speed, late night, road trip, I recently did some experimenting with the CC and with the IVT in 8th gear.
At 80 mph, in "D" and using CC, I was only getting MPG in the mid to high 20's. By dropping my speed to 75 mph, my MPG jumped to the low 30's.
Then I shifted into 8th gear (Over Drive) while keeping the CC set to 75 mph. The MPG, on my Scan Gauge II, which I had been monitoring, jumped into the high 30's to low 40's, depending on the rise and fall of the highway.

Admittedly, I was still not driving for max MPG, but it was near mid-night and I really wanted to get home ASAP.
Traffic on I-75 was minimal and I was having no problem maintaining 75 mph.

The highest MPG can be attained by keeping the speed below 70 mph. That can vary some, depending on a lot of things on the particular car being driven. Those things can include, tire pressure, accessories being used, engine oil, etc.

With all that said, I hope I've answered some questions for someone, possibly the new Soul owners.

Happy Trails, Mates,
FLHamster :cool:
Yes, GI Joe is the FLHamster. For some reason I could no longer log into this forum, from my laptop, using the FLHamster name. I was forced to create an AKA.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That brings up a question I have long wondered about. With a device on your car that gives you real time (even if not completely accurate) mpg what is the best speed to fly to get maximum range? Assume you are in the middle of nowhere, the gas gauge is low & you want to try to get as far as you can. What speed should you go?

·
Registered
6 Posts
There's an elephant in this discussion that nobody seems to be talking about. I see lots of "well duh" comments about calculating at the pump to find true mileage and disparaging the onboard computer's numbers. I have to wonder how many of those making the comments keep a precise measurement of their drive tire diameter to calibrate those calculations?

TL:DR, For certain, the computer's calculations are suspect but so are 'At the pump' calculations, and for, at least, similar reasons.

·
Registered
747 Posts
There's an elephant in this discussion that nobody seems to be talking about. I see lots of "well duh" comments about calculating at the pump to find true mileage and disparaging the onboard computer's numbers. I have to wonder how many of those making the comments keep a precise measurement of their drive tire diameter to calibrate those calculations?

TL:DR, For certain, the computer's calculations are suspect but so are 'At the pump' calculations, and for, at least, similar reasons.
The couple times I've calculated at pump the pump numbers were pretty close to computer. In fact, pump nation's can be misleading and should be averaged. Every pump is different, ie, they don't necessarily pump to same level. The level of the fuel in the tank at the station affects the flow rate and that can affect The shutoff point.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
747 Posts
That brings up a question I have long wondered about. With a device on your car that gives you real time (even if not completely accurate) mpg what is the best speed to fly to get maximum range? Assume you are in the middle of nowhere, the gas gauge is low & you want to try to get as far as you can. What speed should you go?
Personally, I don't think there is a single number. The Soul is very sensitive to wind and the specific speed will depend on wind speed and direction.

Many on this site state to keep the car at 70 or less for good mileage. I think that is right. I drive across country four times a year (2200 miles) and as i approach 80, the mileage really starts to tank.

Edit: I'm in a 2015 with a 6 speed auto, so the new drive train might be different in that regard, but the 2020 is still a boxy car and I'm sure is still wind sensitive

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
What do you mean, "(even if not completely accurate) ??? It only displays the information given to it by the car's own computer. There is none that could be more accurate. As for the MPH, I've adjusted that against a GPS.
So I completely trust my "Scan Gauge II" to give me accurate MPH, GPH, Engine Temp and Battery Voltage....the four parameters that I monitor, out of the dozen or more that the Scan Gauge is capable of displaying.
I've used This same Scan Gauge II, on my last four cars.

Cheers Mate!
:cool:

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Good question dev. This is from they guys at CarTalk:

RAY: Using cruise control on the highway does save fuel, for exactly the reason you say: It keeps you moving at a very steady speed. Continuing to move at a steady speed uses less fuel than accelerating. TOM: When you drive without cruise control, you tend to slow down, speed up, slow down, speed up, etc
How-About-This: Bought the wife AMBER a New NIRO Touring Plus (full load and more) HEV for Xmas (she loves it). and when in "Smart Cruise" (follows the car in front speed up or down). When the car in front slows down her car goes regen mode and sends electrons to the battery. Then on the up-tic, the engine and battery feed the wheels... In the end its getting our Touring EPA 46 miles to the Gallon.(we've seen 55 in the city as the Battery gets to really shine). It has a 1.6 motor with Battery BOOST...!!! ~ This Changes the Equation ~ ( This NIRO is vary SLEEK compared to OUR SOUL ).
Spoiler Alert: NIRO Burns Tesla To The Ground...!!!... 👀
NIRO gets the nod over TESLA

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,617 Posts

I for one apologize if I hurt the onboard computers feelings with what you called "disparaging remarks."

Most of us teased the electronic guestimator with terms like exuberant & overly optimistic.

Regardless of tire/wheel size, which of course can affect the speedo cluster accuracy (like you said "duh"), as well as environmental factors engage pointed out, it is at best a guideline. Scroll to the next display of Range to Empty. I've calculated the stated mpgs x the 14.2 gallon fuel tank capacity to discover I would need closer to a 15-16 gallon tank to achieve displayed mpg (also depending on time of year & the crappy winter gas mixture). If I trusted it, I'm outta gas on the side of the road.

As most of us have discovered, the range to empty changes to "------" or "on your own" below about 30-50. At that point accuracy seems to be a gray area.

Like FL says, using a more advanced tool like his ScanGuage will be more accurate, especially with GPS calibration. I read a few years ago in a Kia spec sheet that Souls are calibrated to standard Base 16" wheel/tire combo. Going to 17 or 18s will slightly skew the odometer but it was within acceptable tolerances.

Look, the little computer is a simple device to help drivers be aware of fuel economy. A car company who won't spend the money on a drivers grab handle (there it is) is certainly not going to invest in a high tech fuel consumption device in a Kia Soul.

I try to fill up when the yellow light comes on or before my rewards points expire. Playing chicken with the computer is too stressful :)

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
How-About-This: Bought the wife AMBER a New NIRO Touring Plus (full load and more) HEV for Xmas (she loves it). and when in "Smart Cruise" (follows the car in front speed up or down). When the car in front slows down her car goes regen mode and sends electrons to the battery. Then on the up-tic, the engine and battery feed the wheels... In the end its getting our Touring EPA 46 miles to the Gallon.(we've seen 55 in the city as the Battery gets to really shine). It has a 1.6 motor with Battery BOOST...!!! ~ This Changes the Equation ~ ( This NIRO is vary SLEEK compared to OUR SOUL ).
Spoiler Alert: NIRO Burns Tesla To The Ground...!!!... 👀
View attachment 133169 ..
NIRO gets the nod over TESLA
NICE Soul.master. I'm jealous! Does the Cruise come to full stop or does it disengage after a certain low speed?

Congrats man on the new Niro.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
NICE Soul.master. I'm jealous! Does the Cruise come to full stop or does it disengage after a certain low speed?

It does disengage...<:-(( So it is no good for Bumper to Bumper City tail gating..<:-((

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I guess I no longer qualify as "anyone" on this forum, but I did report my own finding, using 8th gear, on a 100mile trip back from Tampa one night.
My highest MPG was derived at 65 mph, cruise control ON, and in 8th gear, (NOT in sport mode) and AC off.
Depending on the road itself, my mpg was running from high 30's to low 40's, according to my Scan Gauge II.

I really don't understand, why 8th Gear, (Over Drive) is such a well kept secret at the Kia dealers. My own salesman never even mentioned it.

But Over Drive is nothing new. The concept goes back well over a half century. It used to have to be engaged by pushing a button or some other manual control. It always, as it does now, slow down the engine and safe gas.
Old stuff, new day!
So for anyone, to say it doesn't work, they're just doing something wrong. Like running a Soul at 75 mph and expecting the best MPG. It jus ain't a gonna happen!
75 mph is just NOT the sweet spot for these little 2.L engines. 60-65 would be a lot better.

Likewise 45 mph is not that good either. The engine and IVT never get a chance to get up to cruising speed.

Sort of like an old Speed Boat. At slow speed, it's pushing the water in a huge bow wave, and getting very poor mpg.
But get it up on cruise, riding on top of the water, and the mpg improved markedly. Strange, how cars are so much like speed boats. (y)

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
^^^^ I wondered that too FL. Maybe they don't use the term "gear" when referring to gearless CVT transmissions? It's still a ratio, and "similar" rpms to a conventional automatic or manual tranny in a real 8th gear.

I'd love to have an 8th (or even 7th) gear in my stick shift Soul.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Geo,
It's doubtful you'll see one in a Kia Soul. Before that happens, you'll more likely see the total demise of the stick.
There are just many cars today, that do not have a stick available.
Most young people today, are growing up without ever learning how to use a clutch and a stick.

Way back in the early 60's, when I was teaching young medics how to drive military ambulances,(in Germany) most of them had never driven a stick. Don't ya know...that was loads of fun. Grind! Grind! Grind!

Enjoy your Stick, because it may be your last. Jus sayin' .

Cheers mate!

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Geo,
It's doubtful you'll see one in a Kia Soul. Before that happens, you'll more likely see the total demise of the stick.
There are just many cars today, that do not have a stick available.
Most young people today, are growing up without ever learning how to use a clutch and a stick.

Way back in the early 60's, when I was teaching young medics how to drive military ambulances,(in Germany) most of them had never driven a stick. Don't ya know...that was loads of fun. Grind! Grind! Grind!

Enjoy your Stick, because it may be your last. Jus sayin' .

Cheers mate!
That's my fear too FL. I feel lucky that the Gen2 Soul came with stick & loadeded with features (except I had to add cruise & armrest).

My other candidates being the CX5 & HR-V whimped out & dropped stick.

Luckily there is a "Save the Manuals" movement, but I don't see it helping SUVs too much. The Venue offers one. The Seltos sadly does not. Too bad because this Soul with a manual is so much fun!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I believe that when a man spends upward of $20k (or more) for a new car, he should be able to get what he wants. But, car makers don't share my feelings.
If I could have had what I'd really like to have, my car would come with a trailer hitch, air bags and a winch on the front bumper. I was asked on day, "do you go off road?"...heck, I LIVE off road. I have to drive three blocks in sand, just to get to the first paved street.
There are roads out here where I live, that have ruts so deep in them that I can't drive down them without dragging the bottom of the car in the sand. I've not been stuck yet, but I know it's going to happen.
Air bags to raise the car up a few inches would sure be nice. But alas, that's not an option on the Soul.

I watch a lot of car shows on TV (Motor Trend) where the mechanics are taking out AT's and putting in 4 speeds.
Cheers Mate!

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
I believe that when a man spends upward of $20k (or more) for a new car, he should be able to get what he wants. But, car makers don't share my feelings.
If I could have had what I'd really like to have, my car would come with a trailer hitch, air bags and a winch on the front bumper. I was asked on day, "do you go off road?"...heck, I LIVE off road. I have to drive three blocks in sand, just to get to the first paved street.
There are roads out here where I live, that have ruts so deep in them that I can't drive down them without dragging the bottom of the car in the sand. I've not been stuck yet, but I know it's going to happen.
Air bags to raise the car up a few inches would sure be nice. But alas, that's not an option on the Soul.

I watch a lot of car shows on TV (Motor Trend) where the mechanics are taking out AT's and putting in 4 speeds.
Cheers Mate!
Would you ever consider a Seltos with it's AWD capability? Kelly Blue Book called it Kias version of the Soul but with AWD. Same engine and IVT tranny. Heck even one of their commercials shows the Seltos running around on the desert sands. For a minute I thought that might be you!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I had the best AWD made by Suzuki, the SX4. It would go 2WD, AWD, or 4WD Lock. I found that a good, strong, FWD is actually better. I found out that AWD is more of a Sales Gimmic than anything practical. My 2013 Soul actually did better in the sand than the SX4 did. (Sorry, AWD enthusiasts) All I had to do is lower the tire pressure and she'd pull like a John Deere tractor.
I was once accused of pulling farm implements, but that was not true. However, I did pull some HUGE trailers, graded my road with my heavy Road Drag, pulled stumps out of the ground, and pulled countless vehicles out of sand pits.
I wanted to put a Green 'John Deere' sticker on her, but I could never find one the right size. lol

So far, I've gone wherever I want to go, in my 2020 Soul, on these nasty sand roads, and I've not even lowered the tire pressure once, yet. :)

I even connected my road drag to my rear tow loop, and took it down my road a few times to smooth out some bumps, and ruts. And, I did that with my OEM tires at 42 psi.

Cheers Mate!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts