Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Soul Plus. Automatic, 2.0 engine
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else hear what their settlement from the mileage lawsuit will be? I was informed I was getting $814.57 . Already got over $250 several years back. New tires for the 2012 here we come.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
How the heck you're getting $800??? I'm getting measly $108 for the Optima, nothing for the Soul. I guess this is based on miles I don't drive.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How the heck you're getting $800??? I'm getting measly $108 for the Optima, nothing for the Soul. I guess this is based on miles I don't drive.
Actually since the first two payouts that were based on mileage that stopped being a factor when I took the one settlement option. i haven't told anyone mileage since then. Perhaps gas prices here are much higher than where you live.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Are we talking about the fuel economy deal from 2012/2013? I took the "verify miles" option and have been getting paid by Kia for the last 150k miles. Is this something that will supercede that? Because I plan on making Kia pay until my car is free :p:D:D

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Are we talking about the fuel economy deal from 2012/2013? I took the "verify miles" option and have been getting paid by Kia for the last 150k miles. Is this something that will supercede that? Because I plan on making Kia pay until my car is free :p:D:D
That is pretty much it. The original payout was deemed not good enough, so kia was sued and settled for these additional payment(s). If you still own your car, expect to get additional payments, however, not sure how they are going to keep track of this. I sold my Optima that was subject to this settlement, so I'm getting the last and final payment.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,141 Posts
boy you guys in the US sure drag this problem out ? , I got this sorted out and finalized here in Canada years ago, back in 2014 and I think it was a mid 2015 deadline to make a decision as to what you want to do from the choices they gave - if no response then it was null and void.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
So far I'm still doing the mileage reimbursement thing. I haven't really kept that good track of it the last 50k miles or so but I think I've gotten back about 2 grand so far on my 2 Souls. Like I said, I plan on making these cars eventually free :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone else hear what their settlement from the mileage lawsuit will be? I was informed I was getting $814.57 . Already got over $250 several years back. New tires for the 2012 here we come.
Yes, i got an email saying they have started mailing out checks on Dec 5th. I’m getting $1,005 for my 2012 Soul+.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2012 Soul+. I've done several yearly mileage reimbursements, usually $100-$125. My settlement is $346. I only have about 56,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, i got an email saying they have started mailing out checks on Dec 5th. I’m getting $1,005 for my 2012 Soul+.
That's about what i got total. After 2014 our miles per year dropped drastically (only 71,000 on it now and 25,000 of that was in the first two years). Seemed to me that the settlement was the best way to go. Not unhappy at all with the amount.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
boy you guys in the US sure drag this problem out ? , I got this sorted out and finalized here in Canada years ago, back in 2014 and I think it was a mid 2015 deadline to make a decision as to what you want to do from the choices they gave - if no response then it was null and void.
For every dollar we got in America some lawyer got 10. It's the American Way. That is why it takes years here to accomplish anything.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am wondering the same thing. I remember getting an e-mail regarding taking the payout option, but that was a good 3 years ago. I have continued to let KIA reimburse me. In fact, I recently received a reimbursement for $62.31 (I am retired now and don't drive to work and back everyday like I used to. I have a 2013 Soul with all of 56K miles on it.) Are you saying that KIA has decided to just buy everyone out with a lump settlement regardless? That would be great, given my reduced driving.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
For every dollar we got in America some lawyer got 10. It's the American Way. That is why it takes years here to accomplish anything.
Umm no, in these kind of settlements, the attorneys usually receive 30 cents on a dollar. The case has been dragging for years and the class action attorneys were doing it on their own dime.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Umm no, in these kind of settlements, the attorneys usually receive 30 cents on a dollar. The case has been dragging for years and the class action attorneys were doing it on their own dime.
i was trying to be a little funny by exaggerating but the amount lawyers get is often a high percentage of the payout. Depends on the individual case.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
i was trying to be a little funny by exaggerating but the amount lawyers get is often a high percentage of the payout. Depends on the individual case.
it is a high percentage indeed, but if you consider this case has been dragging since at least 2015, while the attorneys had to pay the investigators, experts, support staff, gambling on successful outcome of the suit, it is sometimes mind boggling why they would even risk these prolonged battles.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts