Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, New Soul + owner here. Just bought an alien green model yesterday. My iPhone 4 (OS 4.3.3) pairs fine and will stream music over bluetooth connectivity with no issues. But when I try to use the voice controls, the system does not seem to "hear" me at all. I have tried to record my own custom profile and everything, but the system never "hears" my voice to initiate a command. I can place calls from my phone manually, and I can hear the caller, but the caller cannot hear me. Did I get a defective mic?

Any help out there from fellow Soul peeps?
:cool:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would say that if you hit the voice command button and say "setup" and the system does not respond you have a microphone issue.

When you paired your phone and it asked you for the name did you say the name and listen for the playback?

I would take a trip back to the dealer!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Same issue with alien

I think the mic is angled incorrectly.

My girlfriend has a 2010 Alien and from the passenger seat the mic hears her clearly but not me in the driver seat. So I'd suggest to try from the passernger side and then have dealer fix. She just hasn't gotten to the dealer yet.

Oddly enough my 2011 hears me fine.

·
Banned
252 Posts
^^i had the same problem... My fiance in the passenger seat could say something in a whisper and it woul pick it up, yet i had to repeat myself a million times before it heard me. Thwn i got a new phone and all the problems went away

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update - took it in to the dealer on Friday and they have no idea. They tore it apart and found that the mic is getting power, but still not working. They escalated it to Kia Tech Support (?) and put my Soul back together while they wait for an answer. When I got it back, I tried it from the passenger side, just for giggles, and it still did not work.

I will update the forum when they provide me with a resolution.

south side baby!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Southsidesoul, I'm having the exact same problem with my 2011 Sport I purchased 8/03. Build date is around March 2011 if that helps anybody.
Only exception is that I have a Samsung Galaxy S and so does my friend. I have another friend with a HTC (don't know the model nbr) but none of us can get the mic to work. Music streams fine from phone to stereo. I can recieve calls but caller doesn't hear my voice. I read the manual online from Kia yesterday and it says that when you press the Talk button (the icon on the steering wheel with the voice coming out of the head) that the screen should display "listening" then you hear a beep then you can speak. I do not get the listening displayed on my stereo display nor do I hear a beep. What I do see on the display is enter a command "dial, call, setup, help". I tried all the commands but nothing. Eventually the announcer will say they did not recieve a command and to try again. So I wonder IF the mic does not work UNTIL you get the listening display and beep to continue.
Does any one else who has a working device see a "listening" display on the stereo when they press the talk button? Do you get a beep as well?
I think this will help us troubleshoot if we know what to expect and in what sequence. I have not seen a dealership yet as I feel it's a waste until I can narrow down the problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
update - took it in to the dealer on Friday and they have no idea. They tore it apart and found that the mic is getting power, but still not working. They escalated it to Kia Tech Support (?) and put my Soul back together while they wait for an answer. When I got it back, I tried it from the passenger side, just for giggles, and it still did not work.

I will update the forum when they provide me with a resolution.

south side baby!
SSB,
Any updates from the dealer? Hopefully it hasn't taken more than a month to resolve. Would appreciate any input you have to offer.

Thanks,

·
Banned
1,609 Posts
Mine works fine. That being said, the Soul's bluetooth is pure crap. I've been in cars with great bluetooth for cell phones, but the Soul's really sucks. It's basically worthless, so I just don't bother using it at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update. The dealer ordered me a new mic and i had to take the car into the shop. They kept it for an entire day because they had to pull down the headliner in order to replace the mic. Once they replaced the mic, I have had no issues whatsoever. It seems to have been a bad mic, or a mic that was improperly installed at the factory.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
That's great news! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update. The dealer ordered me a new mic and i had to take the car into the shop. They kept it for an entire day because they had to pull down the headliner in order to replace the mic. Once they replaced the mic, I have had no issues whatsoever. It seems to have been a bad mic, or a mic that was improperly installed at the factory.
SSB, Thanks for the reply. Glad you got it resolved. So off to the dealership I'll go. While there I should be able to show them that my Galaxy S works with their other Soul's. That should be proof that maybe the mic is bad.
I'll post the results.

·
Registered
7 Posts
SSB, Thanks for the reply. Glad you got it resolved. So off to the dealership I'll go. While there I should be able to show them that my Galaxy S works with their other Soul's. That should be proof that maybe the mic is bad.
I'll post the results.
I haven't taken the Soul in to the dealership yet as I'm paranoid about them taking the headliner down. I did however go to a nearby dealership and they let me pair my Samsung Galaxy S smartphone with a new 2011 Soul and the phone worked. So to me this proves it is the mic. Just gotta get the car over to them. One thing I can do is listen to a conference call over the stereo. Just can't speak. I'll update again once I finally get this resolved.

Marvin

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I finally broke down and took the Soul in to get the mic replaced. It took 2 trips as expected. Once for them to verify it was a bad mic and order the part then to replace it. Luckily they can replace the mic without pulling down the headliner which was my biggest fear. Now my problem is I've used the phone in the hand for so longer I always forget to use the Bluetooth functionality.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sounds like this may be the solution to my problem. I have issues getting the voice dial to work for me, and when I do get a call to work the party on the other end gets a horrible buzzing noise that intermittently prevents me from hearing them. I'll look into replacing my mic and see if it helps.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,410 Posts
Keep us posted Kyle. If you replace it yourself, maybe snap a few pics & post the DIY steps if you're up for it. Other folks will love you for it!

Good luck with replacement & hope this solves your issue.

:)

Reactions: Buzz
1 - 15 of 15 Posts