Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
626 Posts
Appreciate the interesting pictures forrest .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Piece of plywood wrapped in a dropcloth or moving blanket, and you got a bare minimum floor back there for your sleeping bag etc. (y)
What I had last year, a bed platform and a table, I threw together in the night and morning before the trip using scraps I had from building things. I stopped at a store and bought fabric for curtains on the way to the place, then sewed them together that night. Here are pics of it:

IMG_20191016_051234.jpg

This time the bed will be just 25" wide (typical size of a camping cot), so I'll have room for shelves across the other side. I'm going to use PVC for frames and legs, because I can cut the legs right there in the car, and can always add to length with fittings if something is too short. I'll put caps on the bottoms to protect the surface of car from rough edges.

I finally managed to get my diagram for cutting wood pieces in proper sizes - configuring and determining the exact measurements was really the hardest part. I made a diagram for the hardware straw to cut up a piece of plywood (I don't have the big saw, only a jigsaw). I can get all the pieces of wood I need put of one sheet (diagram looks like a Tetris screen; I always make them to give to the clerk, because when I just tell them, or just write numbers, they tend to screw up).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Another thing I'm going to do this time, is cover the bed platform with memory foam and cloth (will use a staple gun under the edges), so I won't have to use a bunch of sleeping bags - the sleeping bags take up a ton of space.

·
Registered
627 Posts
That setup looks better than what I did last year. I just closed the windows on the curtains to hold them in place.
I didn't have a coffee pot either. Fiddling with a sleeping bag was kind of a pain but it was warm in the bag in the late October cold .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
That setup looks better than what I did last year. I just closed the windows on the curtains to hold them in place.
I didn't have a coffee pot either. Fiddling with a sleeping bag was kind of a pain but it was warm in the bag in the late October cold .
I was so glad I did that on that last fall camping trip. I had a tent up, but the ground was wet and it rained almost all day for 2 days with very strong wind that was pulling the tent stakes out of wet ground. I had to take the tent down so it wouldn't blow away. It was freezing cold too, and was snowing when I left.

Here's my pile of materials. I spent about 3 hours late last night trying to get the PVC frames together, but I'm having trouble getting the legs the right lengths.

I have the back section of the bed platform resting on the ridge that the cargo cover normally rests on. I decided to sacrifice a little bit of storage space so I could put wood under the bed to make it easier to get the pvc legs even and not wobbly. I can still reach under for small things that can fit under the bed. Once I get the legs even, I'll bring the boards in to cover them with foam and fabric. I messed up the contour edge on a long piece for shelf along the one side, but I'm stuck with using it. I live on the 15th floor and it was getting to be a pain balling wood back and forth to cut it then test it, take it back up to correct the cut, take it back down to test again.... I was so drenched from the hot parking garage, I jumped in a cold shower as soon as I got inside.

This is the main thing I do besides the occasional camping trip. Definitely not something I can do in a car, but the Soul is just the right size for moving a 4ft empty tank (moved in April):

·
Registered
627 Posts
I live on the 15th floor and it was getting to be a pain balling wood back and forth to cut it then test it, take it back up to correct the cut, take it back down to test again..
Big pain. Hopefully you have a nice view up there. Can't you take the saw to the garage?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
This is a rough draft of the shelves (as you can see, a pile of junk is holding the side one up). I need to trim the side shelf a bit more in a couple spots. The shelf across the back has the corners cut.

This is the tiniest electric cooker I could find. I put the smoke detector next to it for comparison (I also have a butane stove, but I'm not using that inside a tiny car).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Big pain. Hopefully you have a nice view up there. Can't you take the saw to the garage?
I don't have a way to plug things in, in an apartment building garage. If I did, I'd have taken a fan down there, because it is super hot. It also stinks, and sometimes it is so bad it takes a couple days for the smell to get out of the car (it's either pay for a smelly garage space, or park several blocks away, which I won't do).

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul LX Manual
10 Posts
If you've got a problem where you don't have an outlet to run your tools, I've been using a lot of the Ryobi One+ tools recently. Home Depot has regular sales where you can pickup 2 4AH batteries and a tool for $99. I've found it's useful to watch the sales and pickup a tool w/ a couple of spare batteries. Doesn't take long and you have a decent assortment of tools that don't require an outlet to function. They also make fans and lights that use those batteries.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thanks for the tool suggestions. This will probably be my last building project for a while, but I'll keep it in mind for next time.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts