Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone who has done a Soul micro camper conversion have pictures of their design? Particularly with the bed only one side (it's just for 1 person) and with the back of the rear seat removed (more flat floor)?

I did a temporary setup right at the end of camping season last year, which I removed after the last trip (new version also has to be removable). I want to do something that looks a little more refined this season than bare wood and a scrap wood table that I built literally right before I went out the door (had varied length legs to accommodate the car variations), and curtains from fabric I just poked holes in to hang on the various hooks and things in the car.

It was really cozy in freezing weather with wind that was so bad I had to take down my tent (the day I left, it was snowing). I had electricity, so I had a space heater, a lamp, and an electric water kettle. Used a bucket-style travel toilet (with special liners) in the car. Played ukulele, did some drawing and needlework, used the laptop. This time I want to be able to put in a micro-sized sink (about 10" diameter), will have jugs for fresh and used water underneath, which will use a mini solar water pump.

I've spent literally hours and hours over the winter until now, putting designs on paper after measuring and re-measuring nearly every part of the car. Have gone through a lot of graph paper. When I look for ideas online, most of the results are not Kia Soul vehicles, so the contours and dimensions are different. Also, most people use the entire back for a bed, which just gives you a bed on wheels with no place to put a table/counter, almost no storage, nowhere to hide a travel toilet.

I will be using an SUV tent at the hatch, for more space that I can stand up in. Last fall I did make-shift connector to my tent using a tarp, since I didn't have an SUV tent, but bugs could get in too easily. The little space heater kept the entire connected tent and car area nice and warm (until the wind almost blew the tent away).

Any pics and ideas are greatly appreciated.

(FYI, car is a 2018 Plus)

Thanks

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,909 Posts
Does anyone who has done a Soul micro camper conversion have pictures of their design? Particularly with the bed only one side (it's just for 1 person) and with the back of the rear seat removed (more flat floor)?

I did a temporary setup right at the end of camping season last year, which I removed after the last trip (new version also has to be removable). I want to do something that looks a little more refined this season than bare wood and a scrap wood table that I built literally right before I went out the door (had varied length legs to accommodate the car variations), and curtains from fabric I just poked holes in to hang on the various hooks and things in the car.

It was really cozy in freezing weather with wind that was so bad I had to take down my tent (the day I left, it was snowing). I had electricity, so I had a space heater, a lamp, and an electric water kettle. Used a bucket-style travel toilet (with special liners) in the car. Played ukulele, did some drawing and needlework, used the laptop. This time I want to be able to put in a micro-sized sink (about 10" diameter), will have jugs for fresh and used water underneath, which will use a mini solar water pump.

I've spent literally hours and hours over the winter until now, putting designs on paper after measuring and re-measuring nearly every part of the car. Have gone through a lot of graph paper. When I look for ideas online, most of the results are not Kia Soul vehicles, so the contours and dimensions are different. Also, most people use the entire back for a bed, which just gives you a bed on wheels with no place to put a table/counter, almost no storage, nowhere to hide a travel toilet.

I will be using an SUV tent at the hatch, for more space that I can stand up in. Last fall I did make-shift connector to my tent using a tarp, since I didn't have an SUV tent, but bugs could get in too easily. The little space heater kept the entire connected tent and car area nice and warm (until the wind almost blew the tent away).

Thanks
Hey forrest and welcome to the forum.

There's a neat SEARCH function on this site to look up topics discussed on previous threads. They can be full of information and helps avoid a bunch of deadended threads on the same subject. Then you can add to it :)

I did an initial search for you ( you're welcome)

Search results for query: Camping

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you.

I actually did do the search as I always do, but it was not sufficient (I've been registered for over a year, not posting because I find things in searches).

I'm looking for information on designing, installing, and trouble shooting camper components that will fit the measurements and contours of the Kia Soul, such as constructed bed platforms (not bedding on the floor or flat boards), counters, storage systems (cubbies, drawers, use of the cargo well), water and power supply systems, addition of other camper-related accessories, and anything else that might make contribute to the experience of using the Kia Soul as a camper instead of just a car with blankets in it.

All information specific to my request is appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
627 Posts
It's been a while but look over here. There were a couple of them at least.

r/KiaSoulClub

I just put in a partial sheet of plywood over the folded down back seats, then a drop cloth, air mattress, and sleeping bag.
Simple and it worked, but a toilet would have been nice.

Post some info and pics when you get your set up, uhhh set up. :)

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,909 Posts
Thank you.

I actually did do the search as I always do, but it was not sufficient (I've been registered for over a year, not posting because I find things in searches).

I'm looking for information on designing, installing, and trouble shooting camper components that will fit the measurements and contours of the Kia Soul, such as constructed bed platforms (not bedding on the floor or flat boards), counters, storage systems (cubbies, drawers, use of the cargo well), water and power supply systems, addition of other camper-related accessories, and anything else that might make contribute to the experience of using the Kia Soul as a camper instead of just a car with blankets in it.

All information specific to my request is appreciated. Thank you.
There's some good stuff on YouTube as well. This one is in Japanese but the filming is great. Other camper videos will appear close by.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the suggestion.

Believe me, I have scoured the internet and watched everything on You Tube. In the past year, I've only seen one example that comes just partially close to an example of what I want to do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you taken out the entire rear seat, or just the backs of it?

I plan to take the backs out, that's for sure. I debated taking out the whole thing, but I don't know it it's worth the trouble when doing it creates the same problem as leaving the backs just folded over - uneven floor.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Have you taken out the entire rear seat, or just the backs of it?

I plan to take the backs out, that's for sure. I debated taking out the whole thing, but I don't know it it's worth the trouble when doing it creates the same problem as leaving the backs just folded over - uneven floor.
For a time I had the entire backseat out of my Soul.

Two reasons, one to reduce weight for better gas mileage; and two to have a lower climb in height for my elderly dog.

There is a fair amount more room with the seat out but unfortunately the "floor" is uneven. There is a frame/support member that the backseat bolts into (and runs along the back of the gas tank which is under the rear seat) that is in the way.

I rough cut a piece of 2" rigid foam insulation to cover up the gas tank. To the rear it rested on the support member running behind the gas tank and to the front it rested on a couple toolboxes, etc placed in the foot wells so that the rigid foam floor would be level. This also served to protect the wiring running on top of the gas tank.

For the trunk area I removed the foam cargo tray and then placed the rigid removeable floor cover directly onto where the spare tire would go, the rigid cover slides right into place.

Initially I also rough cut another piece of 2" rigid foam insulation to place in the trunk area but it made accessing the trunk well (where the spare tire would go - and where I kept dog leashes, water bowl, first aid kit etc, etc) more of a pain so I ended up not using it.

The height difference of the floor between the front (gas tank area) and the rear trunk area didn't bother my dog.

I didn't measure the height difference at the time - I've since re-installed the rear seat - but eyeballing the area now I think it would have been around 2¾" to 3" - (2" foam sitting on top of the cross member plus the rigid, folding cargo floor cover sitting approximately ¾" to 1" below the cross support member).

So possibly if I had used 1" - 1½" rigid foam for the over the gas tank and 2" rigid foam for the rear area then the floor would have been almost even. Or 2" rigid foam over the gas tank and possibly 2¾" to 3" over the trunk area.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TosenR, thank you for the detailed information!

I had the cargo foam divider out all camping season last year, but had the hinged cover over the well. The bed platform I had in the car was raised enough that I could still open cover to get to all my gear. I still had to have a bunch of stuff in a roof carrier on the car, which I really don't like doing. The more storage space I have in the car, the better. I'm not sure where I would store the entire seat in my apartment, especially where the cats wouldn't get to it.

I want to put in a level floor board over the entire cargo, with hinged or removable panels to get to the cargo space. The bed platform would also be made that way.

I think I'm going to I've PVC for framing, since compared to wood, it's easier accommodate the height differences. It's easier to store when not in use, and I can cut it right there in the car to adjust it without having a saw and electricity in a public place.

·
Registered
122 Posts
TosenR, thank you for the detailed information!

...The more storage space I have in the car, the better. I'm not sure where I would store the entire seat in my apartment, especially where the cats wouldn't get to it.

I want to put in a level floor board over the entire cargo, with hinged or removable panels to get to the cargo space....
My pleasure, glad to help.

:) fortunately my dog didn't mess with the rear seats stored on the floor of a spare bedroom.

Yes, the more storage the better. There is a surprising amount (at least compared to my previous Honda Accord) of space under the front seats. I think I'll shop for two plastic bins that can easily be slid in and out from under the seats to store various items in.

Yes, a hinged or removeable panel floor system would be preferred - at the front to allow easy access to the area between the gas tank and the front seats and at the rear to allow easy access to the trunk/spare tire wheel well.

Couple years ago I saw a video where someone had made a raised hinged floor system / mattress platform for their vehicle (not a Soul I don't think) for car camping but have been unable to find it again so far.

I thought the in-floor storage system that Chrysler came out with some years back in the minivan was cool - would be nice to create something similar for the Soul in the form of a slightly raised flat floor.

This video for creating lightweight cabinets I thought was interesting but for me too much work - but did give me some ideas.

How To Ultra Light & Strong Cabinets Foam

In my search for a non-wood yet sturdy material that looked nice (didn't require painting, etc) came across PVC foam board but at the time I don't think it was carried by my local home improvement centers and the price at a commercial supplier (available in a variety of colors) was way more than I was willing to spend.

PVC foam board

PVC Foam Board Furniture Making Process

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked the video, very cool. I've bought PVC board from a major chain hardware store before, but it was really thin, nowhere near thick enough to support any kind of weight.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Honestly, I had no idea how small the back of this car would be because I had to buy it sight unseen. It's by far the most comfortable car I have ever driven, but it's so short, and I'm allergic to the plastics used in it (I wonder how many other people are).

My SUV tent was delivered the other day. For the longest time, the only ones I could find were hundreds of dollars. Then last week I found this one for only $89. I already have something like 6 to 8 tents, but none that I can connect like this to the car. The tent it necessary if I go camping with more than just myself, and it's no fun having company if not in the same space.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Do you mind posting a link to the tent you purchased?

It's really well made for the price, and bigger than I expected. It is over 7 feet tall inside. If you aren't already familiar with tents, keep in mind that the rating for number of people is for if there are that many people laying shoulder to shoulder in sleeping bag width spaces. This SUV tent is more suited to 3 people if using bags or cots, but for airbeds will probably not fit more than 2 while still having space to move around.

·
Registered
627 Posts
keep in mind that the rating for number of people is for if there are that many people laying shoulder to shoulder in sleeping bag width spaces. This SUV tent is more suited to 3 people if using bags or cots, but for airbeds will probably not fit more than 2 while still having space to move around.
Haha, yes. Looks good size for 2 plus gear.
If you cram 5 in there it would be a cluster, unless they were all small kids. Then it would be a fight, LOL.
and those "2 man" pup tents, will be tight for 1 man plus gear bag and boots.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks
Buy

Thanks
Just buy smittybilt roof top tent i have one on my 2019 base kia soul

Thanks
Buy a smittybilt roof top tent i have one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bone.buy a smittybilt roof top tent
I have been researching rooftops since last year. They are good if a person plans on staying in one spot for a while, and if the small space is adequate, but I want to be able to drive my car without having to put away a tent every time.

Do you have the side tent part that allows you to go from tent to car door without being outside?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I discovered that there are Kia Soul conversions for wheelchairs, which have flat floors, no bar across the car where the back seats would attach.

This tells me that the bar is not essential to the structure and operation of the vehicle. Is that bar welded in or is there a way to take it out that doesn't require cutting up the car?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts