Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any preferred methods to check if an AC drain line in a Soul is clogged? Just watching for a drip doesn't really indicate anything definitive unless the line is clogged shut entirely.

I tried pushing a smaller flex pipe into the drain line but of course cannot be sure if it actually went fully into the evap chamber....

Sonic

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Are there any preferred methods to check if an AC drain line in a Soul is clogged? Just watching for a drip doesn't really indicate anything definitive unless the line is clogged shut entirely.

I tried pushing a smaller flex pipe into the drain line but of course cannot be sure if it actually went fully into the evap chamber....

Sonic
I don't know about "preferred," but it's accessible from inside the cabin if you pull the carpeting back. From there you can disconnect it and blow some compressed air through it, or ream it out with something like a flexible brush used to clean aquarium tubing. A huge plastic wire tie or a length of thin coax cable will work, too.

If it's clogged, expect some water to pour out of the evap chamber when you disconnect the hose.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know about "preferred," but it's accessible from inside the cabin if you pull the carpeting back. From there you can disconnect it and blow some compressed air through it, or ream it out with something like a flexible brush used to clean aquarium tubing. A huge plastic wire tire or a length of thin coax cable will work, too.

If it's clogged, expect some water to pour out of the evap chamber when you disconnect the hose.
Thin coax cable worked perfectly for me and plastic wire as well :applause:

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Where would one pull the carpet back, Drivers side, passenger side?

I've noticed the carpet on the passenger side, under the glove box, appears to have been pulled back before and not re-glued afterward, but just pushed back into place. It's now starting to come away from the firewall and has a bow in it that really should not be there.

Is that possibly why the carpet there appears disturbed?

H

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Where would one pull the carpet back, Drivers side, passenger side?

I've noticed the carpet on the passenger side, under the glove box, appears to have been pulled back before and not re-glued afterward, but just pushed back into place. It's now starting to come away from the firewall and has a bow in it that really should not be there.

Is that possibly why the carpet there appears disturbed?

H
You know what... I may have the wrong car in mind. Let me check.

·
Registered
552 Posts
passenger side, get some 3M contact glue and apply it directly.

did you buy the Soul new or second owner?

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
passenger side, get some 3M contact glue and apply it directly.

did you buy the Soul new or second owner?
Second owner, just bought it last month, this week makes 5 weeks I've owned it.

Going through all the maintenance on him, just because I already know the dealership did not do some of the basic things, so what else has been neglected?

It would appear to me that the tube has been checked/disconnected there before then.

I'll get some carpet glue and get that tacked down properly, but first I think I will look for it and know where it is for next time! :)

Thanks Gents!

H

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
*** UPDATE ***

I ended up using an OEM refresh kit to get the mildew smell out of my air system. But in the process I decided to first pull the console kick panel below the glove box so I could watch and make sure nothing was oozing out during the foaming process. And in doing so, I noticed something I haven't seen discussed on the forum before: That being the cabin portion of the drain hose pathway. When the kick plate is is removed it exposes the right side of the evaporator chamber casing so you can see how/where the drain line connects. From looking at the many twists and turns (especially the final 90 degree right angle turn) that the drain line makes, it seems it would be difficult to get any kind of conventional DIY roto-tool into the drain line from below to properly clean it out or fully remove an obstruction. I suspect clogs are mostly going to be right at the exit of the pan where it makes the first 90 degree turn. I am guessing the best way to clean this out would be to first try and use a very thin, semi-rigid piece of plastic or metal string/wire from under the car to try and open up any potential clog. Once any trapped water finishes dripping then pull the hose right off the evaporator chamber inside and clean out the both sides of that connection, possibly also use a syringe to squirt a cleaning agent into the drain line so it runs out under the car. Or if you have a compressor can try to blow it out as well. And then use a bottle brush of some sort to make sure the entry portal into the evaporator chamber is cleared.

I wasn't brave enough to pull the drain hose off the evaporator chamber, maybe somebody else wants to be the guinea pig. lol Also, I noticed just North of where the hose connects there is some kind of thumb-screw with a wire going through it as well. Looked like it may have a rubber gasket casing as well. If this is removable it may allow a direct pathway to spray cleaner onto the evaporator, which would be a much easier way to spray cleaners on the coil if needed to combat mold/mildew buildup in the coil and pan. Again though, I was too chicken to experiment and remove the thumb screw so cannot say for sure.

BTW, the kick panel can be removed by pulling on it at the seam nearest the seat (two clips) and then once that front portion is free slide back so the front is released.

Sonic

1 - 10 of 10 Posts