Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
It sound like you answered your question. You need new brakes. The rear caliper could be sticking and wearing that side quicker than the other. Don’t let it go on like that for too long.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hopefully your right about that one, the stuck caliper. I'll have them check them both on the rear. I'd planned on calling them on Monday to look in to scheduling sooner, but now that is a necessity.

Puzzling is why it would go away when the brakes are applied, and come back from inertia. Is there a minor amount of play for the pads?
Yes. A couple years ago my 2011 was doing the same thing. Brakes can be funny. They squeal sometimes and not others. Quiet when I apply them but noisy when they’re just rolling. In my case it was the caliper, it was sticking and one pad was worn more than the other. I live in the salty area so I replaced the calipers too, but you might be able to just have them serviced and be ok.

Are they the original brakes? If so they are about due for service anyway. Your mechanic will be able to let you know what’s going on. Probably just new rotors and pads.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Possible parking brake issues if a spring on the parking brakes is loose or broken.
Not on a 2018. The parking brake is part of the brake caliper. On the first generation they had the parking brake shoes and springs inside of the rotor “hat” but on the second generation it’s part of the caliper.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Should I have them give it a once over anyway, or should I only be worried about the brakes themselves?
Sure, let them know your concerns. The parking brake on your car is part of the caliper. When you pull the parking brake lever, the cable pulls on the rear calipers. That’s probably not going to be your problem, but any good shop will make sure that is serviced too. From what you have mentioned so far, it sounds like it’s going to be worn out brake pads and rotors (and maybe a stuck caliper).

·
Registered
683 Posts
My biggest question, is it safe to drive in this condition? The operation isn't effected, just squeals.
As long as it’s not getting too hot it will be ok until you can get it fixed. The rotors will be a little hot after using the brakes, but if it’s significantly hotter than the others, I wouldn’t drive it very far until you get it fixed.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Follow up.

Had the front done. New pads and rotors.

A question about this.

I am now greeted with a nice smell of burning brakes. I have looked into it and found numerous sources say this is normal for new pad and rotors. Something about the resin in the pads curing and also about a transfer film getting laid on the rotors?

And the most startling thing happened too, not sure if it is related or not.

Went up to the pass, and the ole girl couldn't move her fat toockus through a bit of snow. After I got free, there was a god awful shudder that went away gradually. Again, not sure if it is related. The significant other things one of the wheels collected a gob of something that wore down. I hope that was a one off or related to new brakes.
How much snow were you trying to move through? The “shudder” could have been snow stuck in the rim making it feel out of balance. That’s happened to me, snow can pack inside the rim and make a terrible vibration.

What do you mean by the wheels collected a “gob” of something?

Your brakes shouldn’t be smelling like they are burning. Maybe for a short while after new pads and rotors, but it should go away quickly.

I have a suspicion that the shop didn’t service the caliper slide pins and it’s still sticking. Check the temperature of the rotors after a short drive. The fronts will normally be hotter than the rear, but if you can feel heat coming off them, bring the car back to the shop and have them fix what they were supposed to in the first place.

Reactions: SailDesign
1 - 6 of 6 Posts