Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 Soul 1 Mil

As title implies, I've a squeal coming from the right rear. It sounds like metal on metal.

I am due for brake service when I take in for my 60k

The meat of the squeal:

Squeals intermittently, sometimes when a hard turn is taken to the left, or when I start going on a cold start. Goes away when I tap the brakes. Then comes back randomly, but always stops on application of the brakes. Sometimes will come back faintly driving straight then stops.

Just need to know if it's just the low brake squealer if ours have those and I'm fixating on it, or am I looking at impending doom?

·
Registered
482 Posts
It sound like you answered your question. You need new brakes. The rear caliper could be sticking and wearing that side quicker than the other. Don’t let it go on like that for too long.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sound like you answered your question. You need new brakes. The rear caliper could be sticking and wearing that side quicker than the other. Don’t let it go on like that for too long.
Hopefully your right about that one, the stuck caliper. I'll have them check them both on the rear. I'd planned on calling them on Monday to look in to scheduling sooner, but now that is a necessity.

Puzzling is why it would go away when the brakes are applied, and come back from inertia. Is there a minor amount of play for the pads?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hopefully your right about that one, the stuck caliper. I'll have them check them both on the rear. I'd planned on calling them on Monday to look in to scheduling sooner, but now that is a necessity.

Puzzling is why it would go away when the brakes are applied, and come back from inertia. Is there a minor amount of play for the pads?
Yes. A couple years ago my 2011 was doing the same thing. Brakes can be funny. They squeal sometimes and not others. Quiet when I apply them but noisy when they’re just rolling. In my case it was the caliper, it was sticking and one pad was worn more than the other. I live in the salty area so I replaced the calipers too, but you might be able to just have them serviced and be ok.

Are they the original brakes? If so they are about due for service anyway. Your mechanic will be able to let you know what’s going on. Probably just new rotors and pads.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. A couple years ago my 2011 was doing the same thing. Brakes can be funny. They squeal sometimes and not others. Quiet when I apply them but noisy when they’re just rolling. In my case it was the caliper, it was sticking and one pad was worn more than the other. I live in the salty area so I replaced the calipers too, but you might be able to just have them serviced and be ok.

Are they the original brakes? If so they are about due for service anyway. Your mechanic will be able to let you know what’s going on. Probably just new rotors and pads.
The brakes are the ones that came with the car, so, I knew it was coming.

Sticky caliper may be possible. I live in the PNW, but I drive my Soul everywhere, even the places they say it should make it to, so possible some debris got in there.

I guess the only thing left is wait until the appointment gets setup. My dealer is decent so maybe I might be able to get it in before thanksgiving, get the brakes done, then the 60k service. Hate to do 2 appointments, but might need to.

Thx for the info and assurance

·
Registered
482 Posts
Possible parking brake issues if a spring on the parking brakes is loose or broken.
Not on a 2018. The parking brake is part of the brake caliper. On the first generation they had the parking brake shoes and springs inside of the rotor “hat” but on the second generation it’s part of the caliper.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not on a 2018. The parking brake is part of the brake caliper. On the first generation they had the parking brake shoes and springs inside of the rotor “hat” but on the second generation it’s part of the caliper.
Should I have them give it a once over anyway, or should I only be worried about the brakes themselves?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Should I have them give it a once over anyway, or should I only be worried about the brakes themselves?
Sure, let them know your concerns. The parking brake on your car is part of the caliper. When you pull the parking brake lever, the cable pulls on the rear calipers. That’s probably not going to be your problem, but any good shop will make sure that is serviced too. From what you have mentioned so far, it sounds like it’s going to be worn out brake pads and rotors (and maybe a stuck caliper).

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
The most likely culprit is the pad material has come away from the backing plate, you can jack up that corner and look through the wheel, turn/spin the wheel just slightly back and forth and see if the pad looks like it is moving. Super common problem on Gen2s that are in salt states that are not driven too many miles per year.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The most likely culprit is the pad material has come away from the backing plate, you can jack up that corner and look through the wheel, turn/spin the wheel just slightly back and forth and see if the pad looks like it is moving. Super common problem on Gen2s that are in salt states that are not driven too many miles per year.
The pad is still set where it should be, but it does seem to be riding the rotor, it seems to be 1 mm closer to the rotor than the left one. The difference of a sheet of paper.

·
Registered
482 Posts
My biggest question, is it safe to drive in this condition? The operation isn't effected, just squeals.
As long as it’s not getting too hot it will be ok until you can get it fixed. The rotors will be a little hot after using the brakes, but if it’s significantly hotter than the others, I wouldn’t drive it very far until you get it fixed.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
As long as it’s not getting too hot it will be ok until you can get it fixed. The rotors will be a little hot after using the brakes, but if it’s significantly hotter than the others, I wouldn’t drive it very far until you get it fixed.
That was actually the first thing I checked, was the temp of the wheels from right to left, and both were the same luke warm from normal use, same with the rotors. The right one has slightly deeper trolley tracks than the left. I also pump my brakes going down hills and on longer stops, so I suppose it doesn't have a chance to stick for long. So right now I guess it's more an annoyance with the system saying it's "that time". I will update this thread once I get it sorted.

Again, Thank You 😊

Edit: Was a victim of mobile autocorrect.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update:

This morning when I went to leave, I decided to try something until I can get it in dealer said 3-4 weeks. Oiy.. What I did was before I started the car, I repeatedly pressed the brake pedal until it couldn't be pressed anymore, then started the car. Repeated after I released the e-brake. Then left, it seems to have done something as there was only a faint rub and nothing else.

Could the extra pressure re-adhered the pad to the backing if only temporary? That's kind of what I was acting on.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul +
32 Posts
Update:

This morning when I went to leave, I decided to try something until I can get it in dealer said 3-4 weeks. Oiy.. What I did was before I started the car, I repeatedly pressed the brake pedal until it couldn't be pressed anymore, then started the car. Repeated after I released the e-brake. Then left, it seems to have done something as there was only a faint rub and nothing else.

Could the extra pressure re-adhered the pad to the backing if only temporary? That's kind of what I was acting on.
Brake pads have small pieces of metal called "wear bars" (top left 1st & 2nd pad) and they scrape against the rotor when the brake pad needs to be changed. When the wear bar rubs against the rotor it creates a light scraping sound and it may go away as you apply the brakes. The wear bar is only attacked to the inside brake pad (OEM Kia pads below) so it isn't a foolproof system but the inside pad usually wears faster.
Watch White Rectangle Font Material property

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a 2011.

This past late winter/early spring I was getting the metallic squeel.

But being the mud season and having a dirt driveway had to wait to do anything.

The passenger caliper inner piston was stuck out and the pad was down to the metal.

Ended up getting replacement calipers from napa as I read they were remanufactured kia oem calipers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts