Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well if I can get any insight as to what I've been experiencing for these 2 issues for quite a while, it would be appreciated.

Basically for almost 2 years, ( currently only 15k miles on the car) there is a metallic rattle that starts when accelerating from 18mph to 22mph. It stops and then kicks in again at about 38-42mph and again stops and starts at about 55mph. As soon as you let off the gas, it goes away. It started at only at around 20mph, then 40mph but has progressed to being constant when on the highway at highway speed too. The softer you accelerate, the more feint it sounds. When you lay on the gas heavily, the clatter is louder. I noticed on wet rainy days it is not so pronounced or even non existent. Between dealership not duplicating numerous times I've also been told it's the system cycling the emissions for cleaner environment and most likely, 87 octane. I've actually tried higher grade gas and nothing changed. I've used Hess, BP, Mobil, Sunoco and never any of Race Trak or Shamrock gas stations. It doesn't sound like an engine knock and I hardly doubt I would have carbon buildup starting at 5k miles.

In May I had experienced what sounds like water sloshing in the front of the car. Appeared to happen when the car sat a long time and you slow rolled from parked position. Initially I heard bubbles popping noise when it started and now it's beyond that. Radiator full, overflow full, heater works instantly, air is draining water properly. Another instance of me telling the dealership how to produce it and having the car sit there more than once, all day, and then not being able to reproduce it. I took it to a new dealer who hears it and the tech thinks it's not water at all but a rubbing of rubber or something. When you're doing 2-5 mph it's clearly audible. After that you can't hear it. I noticed when slow rolling at 2mph and I move the steering wheel quickly from side to side so as to not rock the car, you hear the noise in sync. It does sound like water because it has a sloshing sound as the car moves but at the same time it's accompanied with a sound like if you run your fingernail across vinyl fabric when it makes that slick rubbing sound. This is why the tech feels it's not water. He's already lubed the suspension ( already had it done on a previous service) and he removed the struts and put them back, used noise sensors and had the car 2 days and can't pinpoint where it's coming from. I have to bring it back again and get a loner as they need it again for a couple days.

Any thoughts on these issues would be greatly appreciated because it's seriously decreasing the enjoyment of the car and at only 15K miles, fear if they don't fix or if KIA District Manager feels it doesn't affect the ability to drive the car and drop the issue, I'm going to run into major repair when it's , of course, out of warranty.

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Any strange smells with this?
Are you running AC a lot?
Have you rotated your tires recently and does that have an effect? Have the tires been balanced recently? Any undue wear on the tires?

I had an occurrence something like this (the intermittent noise a different speeds), drove me and the service department nuts. Finally one day after months of this, I had the tires rotated and spin balanced. The tech came in while I was waiting and said did I know that the front control arm bushing was mounted on the wrong side of the strut? He removed the strut and replaced the bushing in the proper place and it all disappeared. As for the sloshing noise, the only thing the comes to mind is that the AC is not draining and moisture has collected somewhere.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Tires have been rotated, regularly. Tire wear is even. No excessive or unusual wear of any kind. The noise is audible at creeping speeds as in rolling the car with no acceleration. Not sure if tire balance or rotation can rear this type of noise at 2-5 mph. No shaking or vibrations either. No burning smells or smells of any kind. As I mentioned, the ac is draining. I actually do not run the air that much because I drive with the windows open to and from work. If water was collecting somewhere, you would figure it would eventually evaporate, especially over the summer here in Florida. The noise never actually reduces not running the air for weeks at a time. As you can see at 15k miles from May of 2011, the car is not driven a lot for that amount of water to collect day after day. They already ruled out heater core and pump because the temps are below the mid point always. Tech also put a cyclone funnel in the radiator and ran the car and no air bubbles coming out at all they said.

Backing up this morning, as I turned the wheel fast, that slick vinyl rubbing noise is heard along with the so called sloshing which is why they don't feel it's actually water.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
The only suggestion I could make at this point is to get a schematic or drawing of what the front suspension, steering and drive train is supposed to look like and check your car against it. Assuming that CV joints are good, I would go after the shocks (struts) next and check the rubber in the suspension. I am afraid that I don't have any other suggestions.

·
Registered
301 Posts
A slight rust/film on brake rotors makes different noises and in humid areas can easily occur overnight.

Check all exhaust shields,cat conv for rattle. Both our '12's will have a strange knock-knock thudding rattle at idle SOMETIMES,usually pulling into the garage. Seems to eminate from the exhaust,but it's not worth checking into as it's infrequent and apparently part of the Soul's 'program'.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the car has been in 3 weeks tomorrow. The water noise is heard but they can't pin point where it's coming from using noise sensors they placed in various places. Tech said it sounds like water but he feels it's like a slick rubber noise and not water because how it reacts to the car driving 2-5mph in a straight line. They told me today they can't pinpoint the noise so I have to escalate to Kia and can pick up the car.

They also handed me a TSB about the gas, gas treatment and possible engine knock, a week before I brought the car in, telling me I need to use higher octane gas to get rid of the clacking noise. The TSB states to use high tier filling stations and nothing about high grade gas. I never use Race Trak, Shamrock, Valero or 7 Eleven gas, ever. I tried the 93 octane and the noise is completely gone. I find it hard to believe 93 octane is required for a car tuned to run 87 octane, even with 10% ethanol. I asked if the timings may have been changed or if the knock sensor is faulty and they said no. The timings can't be adjusted and the Soul is a higher compressed engine than one would think. My wife has a Kia Forte with 75k on it and doesn't have any engine clatter at all. I'm fearful of running 87 octane as to damage the engine if it clatters here and there. It's not easy to hear either, the cabin has to be quiet and my ears are tuned to it because I know exactly what speed it's going to kick in.

Any thoughts on this water that the tech says it's a rubbing noise? When you pick up speed, like over 5 mph, you can't hear it anymore.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
It would be helpful to know which engine and transmission you have. Rattles like you describe are often in the exhaust system under the body, as has been pointed out.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Anyone check for water in the tire? Humidity will condense in a compressor and ive seen it happen where a gas station compressor wont get drained out and pump water into the tire.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Sloshing noise...you have used a tire sealer(fix a flat stuff)?That would make that noise.
I'm not clear on the engine noise.You sure its not injector noise?I had some of that with my 2013.
The insulation in the engine compartment,wheel wells etc is pretty weak.I insulated the engine cover
(insides)with some carbon fiber strips I had available.It really quieted the injector noise.
You can hardly hear it.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
They also handed me a TSB about the gas, gas treatment and possible engine knock, a week before I brought the car in, telling me I need to use higher octane gas to get rid of the clacking noise. The TSB states to use high tier filling stations and nothing about high grade gas. I never use Race Trak, Shamrock, Valero or 7 Eleven gas, ever. I tried the 93 octane and the noise is completely gone. I find it hard to believe 93 octane is required for a car tuned to run 87 octane, even with 10% ethanol. I asked if the timings may have been changed or if the knock sensor is faulty and they said no. The timings can't be adjusted and the Soul is a higher compressed engine than one would think. My wife has a Kia Forte with 75k on it and doesn't have any engine clatter at all. I'm fearful of running 87 octane as to damage the engine if it clatters here and there. It's not easy to hear either, the cabin has to be quiet and my ears are tuned to it because I know exactly what speed it's going to kick in.
I am from South Dakota and our state just loosened up regulations on the octane level of gasoline.

Before we had 89 Octane 10% Ethanol, 87 Octane "Regular" and 93 Octane Premium. 87 was like 15 cents higher than the 10% Ethanol and that's what I ran all the time.

Now we have 87 Octane 10% Ethanol, 87 Octane "Regular" and the 93 Octane Premium. Basically in a nutshell, the 87 Octane Ethanal is low grade 85 Octane Gas blended with Ethanol and runs like crap in my own opinion. The 87 Octane Regular is 40 to 50 cents higher now and really hard to swallow, and the 93 Octane Premium has virtually disappeared and when you do find it carried somewhere it's super expensive, upwards to a dollar higher.

My engine now vibrates under medium load now in the 2k to 3.5k rpm range in cold weather. Drives me up the wall. When it warms up to the 40's it doesn't vibrate. I don't recall it doing this before the gas changed here.

·
Registered
608 Posts
On my Camry and Miata water can collect in the body panels (with a real loud sloshing sound) if the drains are plugged. Are there any such drains in a Soul body? Sometimes they are actual plugs, but often just tiny little holes in the bottom of a body panel.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
On my Camry and Miata water can collect in the body panels (with a real loud sloshing sound) if the drains are plugged. Are there any such drains in a Soul body? Sometimes they are actual plugs, but often just tiny little holes in the bottom of a body panel.
yes, gaps in the bottom of the doors, plugs in other places (notice one in the bottom of the wheel well where the spare sits.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The insulation in the engine compartment, wheel wells etc is pretty weak.I insulated the engine cover (insides)with some carbon fiber strips I had available.It really quieted the injector noise. You can hardly hear it.
The injector noise is loud on my 2013 as well. How did you attach the carbon fiber strips to the underside of the engine cover? Did you add to the existing insulation or replace it with the strips?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts