Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do others notice a distinct increase in both fan noise and air speed when the recirc button is pressed?

In other vehicles I have owned, activating the recirc function did produce more air flow and increased fan "noise". Today is a Hot Texas weather occurrence and my first real "test" of the A/C using the recirc feature. Surprisingly, I noticed No difference in air force or fan noise.

I plan a first oil/filter change at 3,000 miles at which time I will ask the service writer to have this item checked.

Just wanted to poll other Gen3 owners about their experience...

Thanks.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX manual
162 Posts
Do others notice a distinct increase in both fan noise and air speed when the recirc button is pressed?

In other vehicles I have owned, activating the recirc function did product more air flow and increased fan "noise". Today is a Hot Texas weather occurrence and my first real "test" of the A/C using the recirc feature. Surprisingly, I noticed No difference in air force or fan noise.

I plan a first oil/filter change at 3,000 miles at which time I will ask the service writer to have this item checked.

Just wanted to poll other Gen3 owners about their experience...

Thanks.

When it gets warm enough in RI to need to use it, I'll test it.

But I wouldn't hold your breath.... ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DISCOVERY..!

I got home from errands, sitting in my drive just letting the fan blow without A/C. I decided to open the sunroof (it's HOT today) for fresh air... and Wham! The fan came "alive", lol. With side windows cracked and sunroof open, I could immediately hear and feel the force of the air change when switched between "recirc" and flow-thru ventilation cycles.

Not being an engineer or science expert but change in air pressure inside the vehicle changes with open/closed sunroof, it somehow prevents the system from functioning in the fashion I have been accustomed to.

Nonetheless, I feel relieved that recirc function is in fact functioning properly.

Oh, and as a footnote, the A/C in this little hot rod REALLY freezes the air!!:eek:(y)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I just think that in recirculate, I'm not only hearing the system blowing air, but I also hear it sucking in air, also from the cabin. Ergo, twice the noise. I just turn the fan speed down a notch or two and it's more livable...with.
We're into the early stages of summer here in Central FL, so 90+ degree days are becoming more frequent, like today.
It's after 5PM now, and the temp outside is still 91F.
So, I've been using my AC almost every day for the past month.

Funny thing....I was driving into town a few days ago, and I was totally engrossed in my driving, but I realized I was feeling uncomfortable. Then I realize that I was freezing. My face and hands were as cold as if I'd been out shoveling snow for an hour. That dang AC was on full blast and freezing me out. This little car has enough AC to cool a four room house.
I'm not complaining about the AC, just my own absent mindedness.
It works excellent, if only I can remember to set it correctly.

Later,
:cool:

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,614 Posts
Yeah, when you turn it to MAX, it puts the fan on high and turns recirc on (basically it's a shortcut to fast cooling), so like FL says, it will make more noise. It's not a good idea to leave it on MAX all the time as condensation (some folks have talked about moldy smell) can build. Cars are happy when they have fresh outside air flowing through them.

Reactions: quietguy

·
Registered
878 Posts
If you want to see if your recirc feature really works all you have to do is access the cabin filter right behind the glove box (no tools required, pop out the two buttons in the sides of the glove door and unhook the retractor, takes 15 seconds to do) pull the cabin filter out and don't stick your hands or drop anything in the blower but as it is running you can turn on the recirc button and watch the flap door open and close as you're hitting the button.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX manual
162 Posts
You don't need the A/C running to test the recirc... just the fan.
You had mentioned testing the AC, so I assumed you meant with it on. I never run recirc without AC, and then only briefly to cool down from "parked in the sun" mode.

I'll pass this to someone else from the sun-belt.

·
Registered
844 Posts
It's not a good idea to leave it on MAX all the time as condensation (some folks have talked about moldy smell) can build.
Moldy smell is from clogged drain line and leaks under the carpet.
When I bought my 2011, at 77k miles, that drain hose was clogged. Used this product to unclog (pushed the white hose in the condensate drain from under the car) and spray to clean inside:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Moldy smell is from clogged drain line and leaks under the carpet.
When I bought my 2011, at 77k miles, that drain hose was clogged. Used this product to unclog (pushed the white hose in the condensate drain from under the car) and spray to clean inside:
That stuff is pretty powerful so a first time user should try a little at a time.
If your drain is so clogged that you can't blow compressed air up through it the other end of it is right at the bottom of the condenser/heater box and can be accessed and pulled off with no tools. Just pop off the panel on the front of the center console on passenger side (to the left of your foot if sitting in passenger seat) pull back on the front part of it to release the clips and then pull it toward the rear of the car as it will slide off the front clip. Once removed pull up the carpet slightly and you can pull the rubber hose off the box.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Along the same subject.....
I've always had allergies to dust, pollen and strong smells, so years ago, when I first found out that my car had a Cabin air Cleaner, I set about to find the best filter that I could afford.
I found the FRAM Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter, Impregnated with Baking Soda and Charcoal. That did the trick.
When I'm bringing in outside air, I'm confident that it's been filtered as well as possible, in such a small system.
And when I'm driving into an area with heavy smoke or sand blowing accross the road, I switch to "Recirculate" till I'm out in the clear again.

On a windy day, while driving past a construction zone, it's not at all unlikely to be caught in a Sand Storm. It's like driving across Texas or New Mexico. Been there, done that, in vehicles with NO Cabin Air Cleaner.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If there's a loud noise when you switch to recirculate, it's possible something may have been sucked up into the fan from the floor...maybe something small that doesn't stop the fan, just big enough to make a noise...

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Way back when, we discussed putting a screen over the outside air intake, to prevent things like leaves, or bugs, from being sucked into the heater/AC. When I take out my own Cabin Air Filter to clean it, after each oil change, I find all sorts of things in it.
I just vac out the filter and put it back in. I completely replace it once a year.

The FRAM Fresh Breeze cabin air filter, has baking soda impregnated on one side, and Charcoal impregnated on the other.
Once, on my 2013 Soul, I spread new Baking Soda on the filter and rubbed it into the fiber. Then I shook off the excess and put the filter back in the car. I worked great!

Cheers Mates!
FLH :cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts