Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Max Power's Kia Soul project (updated 21/08)

Hi, I'm Alex and I'm a writer on Max Power magazine, a UK title for the modified car scene. We've just got a new project car I figured you guys may be interested in, yep it's a Kia Soul!

Ours is a pre-production model, so it's not really UK spec. It's got heated seats and an electric sunroof for starters. Plus there is no texture to any of the interior trim, which we'll be sorting soon, and the seats have an LCD-style SOUL logo which glows in the dark.

Before we got our hands on it, the Soul was used to test suspension setups for the UK market. It was even in one of Kia's press shots, this is our car under wraps.

In our hands, we didn't waste any time getting started. The Soul was whisked over to Rimz Inc in Peterborough for tinted rear windows within a few days of having the keys.

Then we decided the standard rims had outstayed their welcome, so these were ditched...

...in favour of 20x9.5 Wheelmania Jade R wheels, which we'll be changing the colour of shortly...

This was two days before the Modified Nationals show, and the Soul made its first appearance here parked just outside our main stage.

That same weekend it came to the rescue of a couple of our promo girls whose car had broken down.

And that's about as far as we've got, there's plenty planned but mid show season it's difficult to get any time to do it. Here are some pics from a couple of days ago

Engine, suspension and bodywork to come!

·
Premium Member
2,358 Posts
If this would have bin on the market in Holland the 23 of may 2009.
That would have bin my SOUL.
Thanks for the pictures you made my day.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Awesome and by the way where can I get one of the car wraps? That would be cool!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Difficult to say where near you would do it, but signwriter should be able to sort you out. It's just heat shrunk vinyl, and can be removed without trace when you get bored of it. Cool thing is, it protects your paintwork from weather/stone chips as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Niiiiice, been a reader of Max Power since i was 13 (anyone remember Olivia? yum yum) anyway really glad you chose a Soul, please keep us posted on how it goes! If poss if could you let us know where you got all the work done (if you have the time obviously!) If you ever need a standard one to compare it to when featured i'd be more than happy to help, haha ;) Cheers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah 205/30s on a 9.5J - serious stretch! But no scrubbing, even five up and on full lock. We've got Eibach suspension to come in a couple of weeks, which may change that! I'll let you know!

For contacts, the work so far has been carried out by:

Rimz Inc, Peterborough (rimz-inc.co.uk) - tinted windows
Wheelmania (wheelmania.co.uk) - the wheels
Perkins Automotive (perkinsautomotive.co.uk) are doing some of the bodywork, the bits we're not wrapping, and refurbishing the wheels
Tunit (tunit.co.uk) will be remapping it, and K&N will be using our car to develop an induction kit for the Soul (diesel engine only though)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Cheers for that, be interesting to see what improvements you can make make on the engine as i have diesel, cant wait now!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just my opinion - and it seems that I'm in the minority on this one.

I believe that you have taken the refreshingly new styling approach of the SOUL, that is quite excellent and junked it up to the point that the beautiful body lines are now obliterated.

Hundreds if not thousands of hours of effort by very talented designers, paying close attention to the fine detail and placement of every line and curve - has now been vandalized by punks.

If you don't have the artistic talent to highlight or accent the design, I guess the only other alternative is to trash it.

BTW - what has all this to do with "Max Power"?

FWIW,
Carl B.

·
Registered
925 Posts
205/30/20??? That has to have about an inch of sidewall if that!!! Would like to see a side shot to see how the 9.5 stick out if any!! That tire is way to small!!! Going to bend a rim easy!!! I thought the 225/35/20's I'm looking at with rubber bands!!!By the way I love the rims!!! I usually like black wheels ,but those are sharp!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Very balanced execution so far. I'm sooo glad that you are sharing the progress with us. And I am really glad that K&N is looking at upgrading the intake. K&N's competitors ahve been slow to respond.

·
Registered
838 Posts
wow

g40,

I must say, I've been wondering where the limits will be with wheels for our souls. I think you have reached it! Those wheels are HUGE. What is the offset of the current wheels? I say current because I cannot see you lowering the suspension any significant amount that would lower the body line without rubbing. You may end up having to do a body drop... And, to have it up so high makes it look like a DONK(see photo below):eek::eek::eek:

1 - 20 of 135 Posts