Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While poking around the maps update site.
Version 14 won't be out till may
But i found, what i think may be a way to get it for free, even in the us

From the mapnsoft website, after you get to the place where you can select your vehicle They want you to make an account so, meh
You can choose either USA or Canada, but there is a place that says "Don't see your region, try our global site instead"
Clicking this, leads to a big splash screen, click past it, and all the instructions imply it can be done for free.

So either i am translating this wrong, or it's a loophole.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Looks like May 15 is the date that the download will be available. But I just noticed the hard copy version is only $25 + shipping. When did the pricing change on the updates? When I purchased mine back in Spring of 2017, it was $66 shipped. And then it went up a good amount (IIRC was ~$150), and now it's very cheap and affordable (the way it should've been) or free if you download it.

EDIT: Adding screenshots of the FAQ about the downloads from the global site: Official Kia Motors Navigation Update Website

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I just went to check out the website and realized the same thing as you guys! My 2014 model never was updated, and I was waiting for the new version to come out.
It's nice to see I could order the SD card for $55CAD all included while the last update was like $225CAD just for the download!
I think I'll order the SD card at that price point. I'm not sure I trust the 6 years old SD card that's currently in the car. And I just realized I lack a SD card slot on my PC.

·
Registered
122 Posts
USA, AZ here,
Skipped the last couple @ $150ish each...
Starting to notice missing and changed stuff in nav.
So, this $25 + $10 shipping
On a new SD card will be well worth the updates.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Canadian buyers (mini) beware. They'll give you a price in Canadian dollars all the way through, even send you an invoice saying you've been charged $55.26CAD (if you use USPS), and yet, they actually charge you $46.05USD, which amounts to roughly $66.61CAD as of this morning! The only mention of that is when you're buying through PayPal, which is super misleading to be honest!
Can't say I've ever seen that before. Usually you'll get a quote in USD with a CAD approximation, but actually giving you CAD prices and charging you more in USD at the last second, while never mentioning so even on your invoice is something totally new to me! At least it's just like a difference of $11, but still!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
While poking around the maps update site.
Version 14 won't be out till may
But i found, what i think may be a way to get it for free, even in the us

From the mapnsoft website, after you get to the place where you can select your vehicle They want you to make an account so, meh
You can choose either USA or Canada, but there is a place that says "Don't see your region, try our global site instead"
Clicking this, leads to a big splash screen, click past it, and all the instructions imply it can be done for free.

So either i am translating this wrong, or it's a loophole.
If the version with card is $25 then you probably won't need to go through any special method to download free, They have always charged $25 on top of the price of the map update to get the card version. So if the card version is going to only be $25 sounds to me the download will be free. Their site does indicate some downloads will be free.

·
Registered
530 Posts
UPDATE: The downloadable version that is supposed to be "ready" on May 15 is not. I called and spoke to an MnSOFT rep and it's being pushed back to mid-summer (July). This applies to nav units that were equipped starting with the 2014 Souls.

So all this to say, if you want to wait, keep waiting, if not, you still have the $25 + shipping option of buying the SD card and not having to deal with downloading and etc.

Also as an FYI, the reason the cost went way down for the SD card map updates is because MnSOFT was able to renegotiate a deal with Kia/Hyundai to bring the cost down/provide the updates for free online.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just received the SD card yesterday. Going from the very first 2014 version to this one is quite amazing to be honest. No idea why the previous owner never updated it, but the maps look so much better, and I have Android Auto now!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just received the SD card yesterday. Going from the very first 2014 version to this one is quite amazing to be honest. No idea why the previous owner never updated it, but the maps look so much better, and I have Android Auto now!
And,
Expecting your nav info was nearly unusable,
Six years without update.

Last few updates were relatively expensive,
So we skipped a few.
Nav started to become unreliable,
Had started using AndroidAuto w/Wase.

·
Registered
5 Posts
And,
Expecting your nav info was nearly unusable,
Six years without update.

Last few updates were relatively expensive,
So we skipped a few.
Nav started to become unreliable,
Had started using AndroidAuto w/Wase.
Yeah, Nav was barely usable, chunks of maps disappeared all the time for some reason (I was left driving on an orange background), lots of streets missing. The new Nav interface looks a lot better, and if it doesn't work that well, as you say, now I'll have Android Auto with Maps or Waze!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts