Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX Manual Transmission
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
know it's lower in reality...) and even w
I race the car and try to max out rpm before I shift, and also I leave mine on idle and maxed a/c when I pick up my kids from school because it's now hot in Az. If I drive conservatively, the max I get is 32mpg.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX Manual Transmission
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
How do you get you mpg down that low? I'm on about 34 typically on the dash (I know it's lower in reality...) and even when kicking it I'm above 30...

Well, I beat your 34mpg today then...😊

·
Registered
451 Posts
To the OP, there's a throttle delay programmed into the ECU for 1st and 2nd gears on the 2nd gen manual Soul. Maybe that applies to the 3rd gen too. It's documented elsewhere on the forum, but you can move the clutch sensor lever to BEHIND the pin on the clutch pedal (instead of on it like factory) so that it reaches its maximum reading earlier, which seems to trick the ECU into thinking the clutch is farther down than it really is, and halfway defeats the throttle delay for the first two gears. That might hold true for the 3rd gen- doesn't cost anything to try it if the clutch sensor is set up the same way.

In my experience, the shift from 1-2 had a huuuuuuuuge delay in throttle ramp-up, even if you practically flat footed the skinny pedal through the shift. Super annoying. The clutch switch change seemed to help a good bit. I guess it's programmed that way from the factory to reduce wear on the clutch/transmission? Maybe it's a fuel economy thing? Dunno.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts