Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul Manual
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all- this is my first post. I bought a 2015 Soul in December after my previous car was totaled in an accident. I admit to buying it kind of on a whim, since you only have so much time with the rental car paid for by the insurance after they total your car.
So, it's a 2015 that I bought at the end of 2019 with 18,000 miles on it, which I thought was pretty amazing. I love driving manual again, also, which I haven't done since high school many years ago.
Plans are to do the cruise control mod that many people here have done, my husband and I are pretty handy in things automotive.
What I'm trying to figure out is- did this car come with a key fob to lock/unlock remotely? The car was used, and there was a super weird key situation- the previous owner had the doors and the ignition keyed separately. We had that corrected, so I wasn't having to carry around 2 keys all the time, and the locks are certainly electronic- I can lock them all from the inside via the lock/unlock button on the driver's side arm rest.
At first I thought, well, I'll just have an alarm installed or a remote start, so I can get a fob that locks/unlocks. But the more I thought about it, I wondered if it had a fob to start with and it was just not there? If it didn't have a fob, has anyone had any luck programming one after the fact?
thanks!

·
Registered
2016 Base
10 Posts
If it's a Kia Soul Base as my 2016 manual transmission Soul is, it only ever came with an ordinary key. No fob. In the 2016 model year at least, the manual transmission was only available on the Base trim model with the smaller 1.6 liter engine. It's a very basic car and the only way to actuate the electric locks is to insert the key into the door. I assumed that was true for all model years of the Gen 2 Soul, but perhaps I'm wrong. That situation with the ignition and door locks keyed separately is weird though.

18K on a 4 year old car is pretty amazing. Sounds like the former owner was the proverbial little old lady who only drove it to church on Sundays. Either that or perhaps RV'ers who towed in on a dolly behind their motorhome.

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
663 Posts
The 2015 Base with automatic has a fob. Also a center console armrest and cruise. Apparently the manuals didn't get these.

The different keys might be due to lock damage from being broken into (or trying to use a screwdriver as an ignition key). Does it actually have key door locks on other than the driver door? My only external lock is there.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul Manual
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After the dealer changed out the locks, they said one of the techs recalled that the person who owned it previously had it keyed that way because they wanted to warm it up and lock it. Um... get an automatic start? Anyway, it was weird, but they fixed it before we drove it off the lot. We suspect is was an elderly person who never drove it much, but the image I've got conjured of an elderly person driving an Alien Green Soul is pretty amazing!
It's a great car, I'm really happy with it. I'm used to having to manually lock it now, but it was an adjustment at first.
It does seem weird that the manual is the base model with nothing- I know so many gear heads who love manual, and they love all the bells and whistles on a car.
Thanks for confirming though- I suspected it just came with basic keys but I wasn't sure.

·
Registered
2016 Base
10 Posts
It does seem weird that the manual is the base model with nothing- I know so many gear heads who love manual, and they love all the bells and whistles on a car.
Thanks for confirming though- I suspected it just came with basic keys but I wasn't sure.
You must run with an unusual crowd. ("Cue the irony", said the person posting in a Kia Soul enthusiast forum) We're a dying breed; those who actually prefer manuals. The car manufacturers that even bother to offer manual transmissions tend to spec them only on their most stripped down models. That way they encourage the majority of car buyers (who overwhelmingly prefer automatic transmissions) to gravitate to the more expensive (and more profitable) trim lines. They get the benefit of being able to say they offer a car model starting at $14,999 (or whatever) without having to actually make/sell too many of them. There's also a niche market for manual transmission performance cars, but that's obviously a whole other category than what the Soul falls into.

I agree though it's an odd adjustment going back to locking doors manually. I also miss cruise control. It's been a long time since I've owned a car that lacks cruise control.

I also agree that I'm actually enjoying tooling around in my little stick shift hamster-mobile.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul Manual
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Adding a remote unlock is pretty simple. I did a $15 ebay kit using the pics and info here on the forum.
Do you have a link to the info from the forum? I've searched and am not finding anything.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul !
4 Posts
After the dealer changed out the locks, they said one of the techs recalled that the person who owned it previously had it keyed that way because they wanted to warm it up and lock it. Um... get an automatic start? Anyway, it was weird, but they fixed it before we drove it off the lot. We suspect is was an elderly person who never drove it much, but the image I've got conjured of an elderly person driving an Alien Green Soul is pretty amazing!
It's a great car, I'm really happy with it. I'm used to having to manually lock it now, but it was an adjustment at first.
You'd be surprised how many seniors run around in those green Souls--my friend liked green because she loved frogs!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm in the process of saving up for a key programmer because I also have a base and bought a used keyless entry fob to reprogram. I've come to find it all BCM models include the word "receiver" when I did a part search for my 2016 base. I figure I can do a side gig of programming keys if it doesn't work on my car to make up for the cost.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts