Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang.. Newbie here again with a question??? :think When I picked up my new baby (WOO HOO) yesterday, this was bought up during the paperwork portion of the deal.. The person poulled the manual book & marked the page on maintenance schedule. She said "its important to follow it so ensure the warranty stays valid...." :think Now I went home & Looked over this schedule.. seems simple & fair enough but... Im old school (emphasis on old!) :laughonfloor& I like to break in the car for the first 1000-1500 miles, then I switch everything over to synthetic and follow my schedule.. (which is awesome cuz Im the only one I know who washes and details the BOTTOM of his cars!):drool :drool

They scheduled my first free oil change.. ok..:confused: but after that?? I want to know if this a valid statement. I am going to read every piece of paper & document & book they gave me with a fine tooth comb. :rolleyes:

Now, that being said, this was the only "hiccup" i noticed going through this deal.. 1) I love my Soul,:drool 2) I wish I could buy about 7 more before the change over :p;):D:leg(need lotto bad!) &
3) did I mention I love my Soul??? WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanx for the input!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
I do my own maintenance......just keep your receipts! :)

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Be careful....be VERY careful!

There are two Maintenance Schedules.
In a more perfect world, there would be just one, the second one.

There is almost nothing you could do with a Soul, in Florida, to NOT fall into the second category.
For me, at least, just making a quick trip to the grocery store and back would put me right into the "Severe Usage" category. I think they put that word "Severe" in there to scare people away from it.

Here's what I consider the perfect Warranty trap:
You read your manual, cover to cover, and somewhere you decide that you're a "Normal" driver so you go with the "Normal Driver" maintenance schedule.

Then something happens to your engine and it involves a very expensive repair.
You get the car to the dealer and they look it over and tell you the bill will be $2500.oo
You ask them if it's not covered under the warranty and they tell you that you live in Florida,
with sand, dirt and salt everywhere and that you should have been maintaining your car under the Severe Usage schedule. Sorry Charlie, your warranty is VOID.

So to do what I've been doing for over 50 years and to prevent my Warranty from being Voided, I go right to the "Severe Usage" schedule and maintain my car on a very strict schedule. Everything is documented on my Excel spreadsheet and every receipt is kept, in my car maintenance file.

My dealer gave me my first three Oil Changes, according to the Severe Usage schedule. (every 3750 miles)
Likewise the first two tire rotations, at 6k intervals. I may exceed that level of service, but I'll never go below it.

Happy Motoring!
TM :cool:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Don't listen to the guy above me. Kia has said that the majority of drivers fall under the "normal driving" usage.

Plus if you do drive under severe conditions, it would be very hard for the dealership to prove it and deny you coverage. They would be concrete proof like video tape evidence or run the risk of getting sued.

Follow your maintenance schedule and do the things it says to do when you need to do it. I'm sure if you go over a couple hundred miles of the due mileage they won't penalize you for it.

And if it does happen where they deny you warranty coverage for some neglect that you obvisouly did and can't fight, they can only deny warranty coverage for that one section of the warranty, not the entire warranty. So for example if you don't change your oil for 20,000 miles (never do that by the way), they can deny warranty coverage for the engine but they can't deny it for the transmission or axles or the electrical system.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Wanna Bet?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't listen to the guy above me. Kia has said that the majority of drivers fall under the "normal driving" usage.

Plus if you do drive under severe conditions, it would be very hard for the dealership to prove it and deny you coverage. They would be concrete proof like video tape evidence or run the risk of getting sued.

Follow your maintenance schedule and do the things it says to do when you need to do it. I'm sure if you go over a couple hundred miles of the due mileage they won't penalize you for it.

And if it does happen where they deny you warranty coverage for some neglect that you obvisouly did and can't fight, they can only deny warranty coverage for that one section of the warranty, not the entire warranty. So for example if you don't change your oil for 20,000 miles (never do that by the way), they can deny warranty coverage for the engine but they can't deny it for the transmission or axles or the electrical system.
Wow, guys.. interesting responses.. See I love to do my own maintenence on any car Ive ever owned.. (bit of a mech!) , 2 days old so far & really all I wanted to do was to convert all fluids to synthetic when the time was right.. (I assume the oil is break in & I normally change round 1500. also change the gearbox oil as well at that time.) I also order a new drain plug or 2 & glue some serious magnets to it so i can collect "chips" from the block.. (old navy habit !) as far as ICE is concerned.. either the helix system Helix PP50DSP Plug and Play digital signal processor with built-in 5-channel amplifier at Crutchfield.com) or replace the current unit with the one from an exclaim.. or go rouge!!

I just wanted to make sure that If I commit, I know what Im getting into.. I "assume" this car is quite reliable??!! Thanx again guys for all your help!:goodpost

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Don't mess with the fluids other than the motor oil, and it's every 7,500 miles. KIA already put in the proper oil in your transaxle, it may be synthetic already anyways.

To keep it simple, I go until 5,000 miles and then I just try to fit it into my schedule. That gives me about 2,500 miles of leeway or about a month.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Sigh...this seems to come up once a week.

I have a thread on here somewhere with the full info from Kia Motors. It says nearly all US drivers fall under the "normal" driving conditions and do not require the severe duty schedule. Search through threads that I started and you'll find it pretty fast (I haven't started many threads).

On a side note, warranty coverage isn't a "Well Kia said so, so that's the end of it" deal. Aside from just working through normal channels - going up the food ladder, so to speak - anyone who felt they were unfairly denied warranty coverage can appeal that decision, and an independent arbitrator would look at everything and decide the case on merits. The arbitrator, you agreed to when you bought the car. This precludes lawsuits over every denied claim, though the only thing stopping you from suing is the willingness/lack thereof of a court to hear your case.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
"Sigh...this seems to come up once a week."
Yes it does.... I can fix almost anything, but.... other drivers.

Reactions: The Old Grouch

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Well...If it comes up "once a week", perhaps a sticky should be dedicated to it?
I did a search and perhaps my vernacular needs some tweaking as I could not find an official communique for Kia regarding this the "severe usage" memo.
Once again...Do Tell (and more importantly, Do Show!)

·
Registered
4,435 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,611 Posts
Timetraveler, since you're apparently a bit O/C about maintenance, you might want to do the same for records. If you don't already. I keep a 3-ring binder for each of our cars.

ALL service records, sales receipts, etc. get punched and hung in there.
All gas receipts go into a business-size envelope, with all pertinent data (miles, ET, etc.) written on each receipt.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Timetraveler, since you're apparently a bit O/C about maintenance, you might want to do the same for records. If you don't already. I keep a 3-ring binder for each of our cars.

ALL service records, sales receipts, etc. get punched and hung in there.
All gas receipts go into a business-size envelope, with all pertinent data (miles, ET, etc.) written on each receipt.

thank you very much Neanderthal for your advice & apologies to any & all I may have offended with my posts..:( just love cars & have a lot of respect for them.. I do drive them daily so, I am, a "bit??" :laughonfloor ocd when it comes to maintenance & upkeep. I look to the forums because they can offer so much more , well , to my way of thinking, decent advice.:eek: I also love to hear all the experiences of all of you who have gone thru the ups & (hopefully not so many..) downs with your Souls!

Thanx for reading!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts