Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm still in the "research" mode - looking seriously at replacing our '13 Soul (Base, Auto) next month with a new '20 LX (Auto). We're about 99% convinced "Yes".

I went to the Kia dealer where I used to work (webmaster, vehicle photographer) and they let me bring home the folder of glovebox literature - Owner's manual and all the "How-To" tech folders.

As I was reading, I first looked at a small 45-page folder "Features and Functions Guide". It has Soul on the cover but does not specifically state 2020. On the back cover, it was printed in 2019. On the back cover is a maintenance interval guide for Non-Turbo, Normal Maintenance (no "Severe Duty" schedule shown) . On the Engine Oil and Filter, it shows the following (I = Inspect, R = Replace)

7,500 Miles R
15,000 Miles R
22,500 Miles I
30,000 Miles R
37,500 Miles I
45,000 Miles R

.... and so on. It looks like after the first two oil changes, the interval is 15,000 Miles. Very surprised. I would be uncomfortable going 10K, even with synthetics.

However, just a little later, I was reading through the actual Owner's Manual (and it says 2020 Soul on the cover) and this if the maintenance schedule, again for the non-turbo:

Normal Use - (Oil and Filter) Replace every 7,500 Miles for the life of the vehicle. (No "Inspect" on alternate intervals)

Severe Use - Every 3,750 Miles (Any of the following: Hills, Traffic, Short Trips, Dusty, Cold Weather, Trailer Use, Commercial Patrol Car/Taxi)

First Question - why is there such a big discrepancy between the two "official" books in the same packet?

Second Question - Does this mean 98% of us will be needing to change the oil every 3,750 miles to avoid warranty issues later? (Basically the 98% of us who don't commute 20 miles each way to work in warm weather on a smooth, clean, and level road with no stop lights or traffic) I always change my own oil and use synthetics. That seems like a wastefully short interval. Quote on cover: "Warranty may be voided if maintenance schedule is not followed."

On a side note - the IVT shows no maintenance needed for "Normal" use, and 60K fluid change for "Severe". That's good.

Hmmmm....

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I think the synthetic oil could last that long. It's the dirty impurities that it collects that I'd want to get rid of much sooner. I don't want that crap wearing the insides of the engine down.

Oil is cheap, I vote change it earlier, especially if you plan on owning it for a longer time.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think the synthetic oil could last that long. It's the dirty impurities that it collects that I'd want to get rid of much sooner. I don't want that crap wearing the insides of the engine down.

Oil is cheap, I vote change it earlier, especially if you plan on owning it for a longer time.
Yeah, I usually change mine more than needed - usually 5K with synthetics. The main surprise here, though, (see "First Question") was such a wide gap between the two books - one saying 15,000-mile changes, and the other saying 3,750 miles. I could see if one said 6,000 and the other said 7,500, but that is a big difference - once every 15K miles vs 4 oil changes every 15K miles.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Well...the "I" means inspect and replace as necessary.
That being said, if you have inspected and find dirty oil, you will be replacing it right on schedule.
Seems the manual is playing a game of semantics with it's owners on this one!
I believe we have established quite some time ago that most folks fall into the "normal" O.C. schedule at 7500 mile intervals.
This thread has the sharks back in the water, the wagons circling and the makings of another O.C. thread.
I think these quotes say it best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG0ochx16Dg

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
The "Book" was written in S. Korea, not Florida. (or anywhere in the USA) My own Kia service people will change my oil and filter every 3000 to 3750 (my choice) miles for the next six years.* They use a Shell Blend 5W20 oil and Genuine Kia Filter. They are very experienced with the driving conditions here in the Sand and Sunshine state and know that every car sold in FL will be driven under Severe Conditions.
*Yes, I got stuck with the 6 yr extended maintenance/warranty. So I won't be changing my own oil for a while. :)

If you live where there is NO sand, and NO salt water, you may not be in a Severe Driving Conditions zone.
OH, gravel dust is every bit as bad or worse than sand.
I used to live in Iowa and Ill. where there are many gravel (crushed lime stone) roads, and that gravel dust just goes "Everywhere".
When I drove company cars, they Demanded that I change the oil and filter every 3k miles, and the air cleaner every 6k miles.

Happy Trails Mates!

FLH :cool:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This thread has the sharks back in the water, the wagons circling and the makings of another O.C. thread.
[/url]
Yeah, I did not intend for that to happen. As the great Philosopher Barney Fife said on many occasions, "Let's nip it in the bud!"

The focus of the thread is meant to be the big discrepancy in manufacturer-specified intervals between two pieces of literature in the same packet, and the vagueness of Kia's definition of "Severe" to make new owners aware for warranty considerations. Please use another thread to post your personal opinions on the "right" oil change intervals. Thank you.

Peace and Love!

·
Registered
633 Posts
The definition of "severe" is pretty much the same as it has always been, and is not that different from other (non-Kia) cars I've owned. Whether the "severe" interval is real, or because their lawyers like it that way, I can't say. Me, I change my oil every 3500 or so, unless I've been on a long (highway miles) trip, since most of my driving is short-haul stop-and-go and it gets cold here in the winter.

I don't have a clue as to why the discrepancy, except that maybe the "Features" pamphlet was written by the marketdroids (who, as a group and in most industries) will likely say anything to close a sale, even if it's not related to reality.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
The definition of "severe" is pretty much the same as it has always been, and is not that different from other (non-Kia) cars I've owned. Whether the "severe" interval is real, or because their lawyers like it that way, I can't say. Me, I change my oil every 3500 or so, unless I've been on a long (highway miles) trip, since most of my driving is short-haul stop-and-go and it gets cold here in the winter.

I don't have a clue as to why the discrepancy, except that maybe the "Features" pamphlet was written by the marketdroids (who, as a group and in most industries) will likely say anything to close a sale, even if it's not related to reality.
I agree dynamo. I'm sure "Marketing" Folks push for as much time between oil changes etc to attract a certain type of buyer.

The "Warranty" Folks probably want service intervals shorter so they don't have to pay out for ruined engines.

The Printing Department is probably pulling their hair out trying to get someone to decide on what the deal is. I guess it's both at this time. Bureaucracy at it's finest :)

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
I do about 5000 on synthetic and would do the ATF/whatever it's called now at 30 or so. Also don't forget PS and PB fluid and radiator juice. All deteriorate over time.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Yeah, I did not intend for that to happen. As the great Philosopher Barney Fife said on many occasions, "Let's nip it in the bud!"

The focus of the thread is meant to be the big discrepancy in manufacturer-specified intervals between two pieces of literature in the same packet, and the vagueness of Kia's definition of "Severe" to make new owners aware for warranty considerations. Please use another thread to post your personal opinions on the "right" oil change intervals. Thank you.

Peace and Love!

Too late...looks like others are already posting their "personal opinions"
Give em hell pno...give em hell!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Wait. What? A courier pigeon told me this forum is looking for personal opinions on OCs. :joyous:

OK, I've got one...if your soul is a taxicab or used to deliver pizzas all day or you're driving all over Afghanistan, then you're driving under severe conditions. If none of those apply, then you're not.

You're welcome. I'm here to help. :victorious:

Greg

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Too late...looks like others are already posting their "personal opinions"
Give em hell pno...give em hell!
Let ye who have never posted on an oil thread cast the first stone.

(I'm guilty) LOL

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Thaxx for that. Wonder what kind of cars they were. Crown Vics?

Synthetic oil is supposed to be better for GDI engines regarding exhaust valve deposits.
Synthetic is supposed to be better in general, across the boards.
From what I have seen, A catch can is also a valuable ally against valve deposits.
Glad I don't have to deal with G.D.I. issues!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Go with the 202 S. It has the alloy rims, upgraded cloth interior, lane assistant collision warnings. All standard on the S. I bought a 2020 S 2 weeks ago! LOVE IT!!!!! As for the Oil changes. I asked my salesman. He said about 5000 miles. Which I am going to do.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And........ they're off!!!!!!!!!!!

Consider yourselves advised about the discrepancy in the owner's books so you can come to your own conclusion of how to proceed.

In the meantime, this thread is already heading off into hither- and thither-land so feel free to discuss whatever the moderators allow. I'm done. (LOL) Later!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts