Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty then, this is a heads up for those that do your own maintenance. On a whim I decided to check over my engine, which took me to the spark plugs. Upon removing the spark plug boots, I noticed that cylinder 2 had some heavy duty corrosion around the boot, I peered down into the spark plug cylinder and found a considerable amount of moisture and rust.

Sorry I didn't think to take any pictures

Cylinders 1 and 4 were fine, Cylinder 2 was the worst and cylinder 3 had some corrosion, but not much.

*I removed the spark plugs, sprayed some brake cleaner on a rag, wrapped it around a screwdriver and cleaned out the spark plug cylinder walls thoroughly to dry them out.

*Removed spark plugs

*Next I wiped the spark plugs themselves down, then the boots.

*Now that everything was mostly shiny again, I put some anti-seize on the threads of the spark plugs, and reinstalled.

*The last thing I did was to spray some high temp rust inhibiter down the spark plug cylinder walls and I'm waiting for that to dry up.

It seems that the number 2 cylinder spark plug boot wasn't sealing very well. To solve that, I put some dielectric grease around the boots to keep the water out.

I caught this fairly early, so check it out.

Cheers.
Kyle

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
is the plate that covers the spark plug arrangement a water tight fitment?..... or can it be made water tight to stop fluid getting in there in the first place?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm assuming that it's supposed to be, and I put some dielectric grease around the fitment to make it water tight.

I've heard of folks putting silicone on those boots, but I didn't want them there permanently.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts