Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Just wondering if anyone is using Magnetic drain plug
Yes! Why not?

There is no down-side to using one and if small particles of metal break or wear off inside the engine they will likely wind up stuck to the magnet and when you change your oil you will see them and know better what's going on inside your engine.

EDIT: And most importantly, those pieces or particles of metal won't be moving around inside the engine and maybe blocking up some little oil port somewhere.

Repeat:

This is one that's available at most auto parts stores here in the US, and fits the Kia Soul....I can only guess that something similar would be available in Canada. Eh?

Cheers Mate!

TM :cool:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Or, you can also take a strong magnet and stick it to the outside of the pan, near the drain plug. Just before you drain the oil, you remove the magnet and drain the oil. Once drained, you replace the magnet. The idea is to allow the accumulated bits to drain out with the oil. Lots of transmissions are equipped with these magnets inside their pans, but gaining access to clean them requires pan removal.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
That may work but it does nothing to prevent metal particles from circulating through your engine and getting stuck somewhere in a critical oil port, while driving.

Just put in the magnetic drain plug. They're dirt cheap!

My SX4 came with one on every oil drain plug, on the tranfer case and differential.
When I changed my transfer case oil that little magnet had one huge gob of metal particles on it. Wear!

I added Prolong gear lube, to every gear box on that car, to stop the excessive wear, when I did the fluid change.

Without those little magnets, I would have never known what was going on, inside those gear boxes.

Happy Motoring!
TM :cool:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
The buttheads at the dealership wouldn't look upon this as something that could void warranty service, could they?

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
a good portion of engines now are aluminum, which as far as I know is not magnetic.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Only the cases are aluminum, not moving parts that wear! Pistons might be made of an aluminum alloy, but their rings are STEEL.

I guess if you just want an argument, you can say all sorts of things, but if you really want to protect your engine, gear boxes, etc., install a Magnetic Drain Plug, wherever possible.

I'm not here to argue with anyone. I have neither the time or intention for that. I'm here to try to pass on some intelligence about our great little cars. And, how to keep them healthy and happy. When opposition makes it impossible for me to be effective in doing that....I'll leave.

Arguments don't help!

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
Only the cases are aluminum, not moving parts that wear! Pistons might be made of an aluminum alloy, but their rings are STEEL.
I guess if you just want an argument, you can say all sorts of things, but if you really want to protect your engine, gear boxes, etc., install a Magnetic Drain Plug, wherever possible.
I'm not here to argue with anyone. I have neither the time or intention for that. I'm here to try to pass on some intelligence about our great little cars. And, how to keep them healthy and happy. When opposition makes it impossible for me to be effective in doing that....I'll leave.
Arguments don't help!
Your reading too much into it, I wasn't arguing I just made a general comment, I'm no technician I don't know all the internal components of an engine. I've no problem with anyone using a magnetic plug if they want too - relax!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts