Registered
2020 Soul LX with 3 pedals!
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Images and instructions attached as PDF:
Text from PDF follows :
Tools Needed:
#2 Phillips Screw Driver
10mm Socket with driver (open or end wrench will work too)
21mm Socket with electric impact gun (could use breaker bar)
2qnty Dental Picks (thin common screw driver will work)

Parts Needed:
Gen 3 Kia Soul LX with Manual Transmission (2020 Model Year was used as the patient)
Kia Part 96720-K0110 (I tried TASCA 2x –first time I ordered the wrong part, second time they shipped the wrong part, ended up using kiapartsnow)

NOTES:
DO NOT INSERT YOUR KEYS INTO THE IGNITION FROM THE TIME YOU REMOVE THE AIRBAG UNTIL YOU HAVE RECONNECTED THE AIRBAG AND THE BATTERY. Avoid the extra expense of having to get the dealer to turn off warning lights/ replace airbag and you potentially taking a trip to the doctor.
All but one of the Philips screws thread into plastic with very coarse self-taping threads. Be sure to properly start the screws by turning them counter clockwise until you feel it drop into the first thread, before turning them clockwise to screw them back in. Just like you would with bolts or nuts!
Also I am not a professional mechanic, so you are taking advice of a common Joe. Procceed at your own risk.

Step 1: Park Car
Step 2: (You could do this with the engine off, but the power steering made things easier) With engine running turn the steering wheel so that the top is at the 0300 (90 dgrs) location. Insert pick (or screw driver) into the hole in the steering wheel just above the steering column and press down to disengage one side of the horn/ airbag assembly. Remove pick, rotate wheel counter clockwise to 0900 (-90 dgrs), insert pick, press down and disengage the airbag form the wheel. Turn wheel back to 1200. See Step 14 below for the location of two rectangular holes that you need to use. Turn car off. Pop the hood.
Step 3: Wait 15 min (Prepare your lunch)
Step 4: Open hood and use the 10mm socket to loosen the negative battery terminal connector. You may have to use your fingers to get the lead wedge to disengage. Remove negative battery cable from the terminal.
Step 5: Wait 30 min (Eat your lunch)
Step 6: Gently pull the airbag/ horn assembly from the steering wheel.
Step 7: Dislodge wire harness from behind the blue clip
Step 8: Lift up on the orange tabs (one on each side) on the yellow with pink or yellow with purple connectors and disconnect both connectors one at a time. I used the picks to lift up the orange tabs. My fingers were too fat use them. Now that you have disconnected the firing signals for the air bag, relax.
Step 9: Disconnect the white connector for the horn. You have to push down on the locking feature as you pull the connector out.
Step 10: Place the horn/ airbag assembly somewhere out of the way with the Kia logo facing the sky. (Feel free to search for videos on what happens if the airbag goes off with the logo facing something hard like the ground.)
Step 11: Using the 21mm socket with impact wrench remove the steering wheel bolt. There is thread locker on the threads. Now that you have got the bolt removed, put it screw it in a few turns. (You are going to use it as a stop to keep the steering wheel from flying off in the next step)
Step 12: Grip the steering wheel at 0300 and 0900 and give it a good tug, the bolt will stop it from coming off fully, and destroying your clock spring. Now is a good time to remove the white connector at the top of the steering wheel.
Step 13: Remove the steering wheel bolt and then carefully remove the steering wheel, being sure to help ease the airbag wiring harness through. The steering wheel and column already have indexing marks, also both splines are indexed. Thus no need for making your own indexing marks.
Step 14: Remove the 6 Philllips screws from the back of the steering wheel. There are at ~ 1215, 0130, 0300, 0900, 1030, and 1145. Also you can now see those two rectangular holes that you had to use to separate the airbag/horn assembly from the steering wheel.
Step 15: turn the steering wheel and remove the three Philips screws at the top of the steering wheel. Note: The one attaching the wire with a ring terminal to the steering wheel frame is fine thread.
Step 16: Flip the wheel over again gently separate the plastic cover from the frame. You will also need to disconnect the white connector for the (soon to be) cruise switch and the black connector from the phone/ radio switch. Both have similar locking features like the horn wires. You may have to flip the wheel again to help free the ring terminal from the steering wheel frame. A dental pick may be useful.
Step 17: Flip the wheel back over and remove the front cover with the switches. It is secured by three detents in the wheel one at each spoke. Be gentle.
Step 18: Remove the two Philllips screws from the front cover on either side of the (soon to be cruise control) switch with the white connector. Remove the switch. There is a detent that holds the switch in place. I had to rotate the switch out from the center of the steering wheel to the edge. (Sorry for the lack of images for the screws)
Step 19: Now that you got the old switch out, replace it with the new switch. Go ahead a screw it in. Make sure not to cross/ re-thread the plastic, see my NOTE at the top.
Step 20: assembly is reverse of removal…
REASSEMBLY NOTES:
The fine threaded Phillips screw goes to the wire from the back cover with the ring terminal. All other Phillips screws are coarse threads.
The connectors in the clock spring should be at 1200. The grey guide pins on the clock springs engage the steering wheel at 0300 and 0600 make sure to get them in the right place as you slide the wheel back onto the spline.
Make sure you thread the airbag harness through the right hole as you slide the steering wheel into place.
Make sure to plug the steering wheel harness into the clock spring.
Torque the steering wheel bolt down before reconnecting the horn/airbag assembly.
The airbag connectors are color coded, make sure you mate pink with pink and purple with purple, you should hear an audible click when they are properly seated. Also the orange tabs should be fully down.
Don’t forget the horn connector.
Make sure to thread the airbag and horn harnesses behind the blue clip.
The Kia logo should be read from lef to right when you re-install it on the steering wheel. You will have to push firmly and listen for the spring loaded pins to click into place.
Don’t forget to reconnect the negative battery cable last….
Start the car and enjoy your ~$120 factory cruise control.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,986 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hokey smokes Bullwinkle. Sounds like a lot of work.
Hope it's worth it. Let us know please.
It was not that hard at all. Even with taking pictures it took me 1.5 hours and I spent 45 of those mins waiting. The only non straight forward part was getting the horn/airbag assembly to release. I would rate the difficulty at the level of changing brake pads, or changing your cabin filter except your hands stay a lot cleaner!

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
Hokey smokes Bullwinkle. Sounds like a lot of work.
Hope it's worth it. Let us know please.
Yeah, it's actually simple. Should take about 30 minutes. He was nice enough to document which takes more time than doing it.

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
Something that sounds complicated but is actually easy?
That is completely the opposite of my usual experience. :LOL:
ME TOO! Normally if it's actually EASY, I find the long way around and make it difficult. Go figgur....😥

·
Registered
686 Posts
Yes. The little tasksthat I guesstimate will be easy and take 45 minutes or an hour tops.
Three hours later, almost done. Just have to clean up these 17 tools, and make a small bathroom trip for the first aid kit. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Following the posts and some YouTube videos, I added a Cruise Control switch assembly to my 2020 KIA Soul LX base with 6 spd. manual transmission. As advised on this forum, I used KIA P/N: 96720 K0110. I ordered the part from Hyman Bros of VA for $108.94 including shipping. No additional wiring harness required and it works beautifully! Note that Gen3 airbag/horn removal is different that previous models and requires turning wheel each direction to expose slots (from back side of steering wheel) to install pick or small screwdriver and using a mirror tool helps you find it.

Take your time and all should go smoothly. I ended up removing the steering wheel a second time to realign it perfectly straight.

I obtained an aftermarket keyless remote entry from AutoSound with several locations in MA and they did a clean and professional installation and provided two remote fobs for $249 installed with lifetime warranty for original purchaser.
Now have the options I want with manual shift. :cool:

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
Following the posts and some YouTube videos, I added a Cruise Control switch assembly to my 2020 KIA Soul LX base with 6 spd. manual transmission. As advised on this forum, I used KIA P/N: 96720 K0110. I ordered the part from Hyman Bros of VA for $108.94 including shipping. No additional wiring harness required and it works beautifully! Note that Gen3 airbag/horn removal is different that previous models and requires turning wheel each direction to expose slots (from back side of steering wheel) to install pick or small screwdriver and using a mirror tool helps you find it.

Take your time and all should go smoothly. I ended up removing the steering wheel a second time to realign it perfectly straight.

I obtained an aftermarket keyless remote entry from AutoSound with several locations in MA and they did a clean and professional installation and provided two remote fobs for $249 installed with lifetime warranty for original purchaser.
Now have the options I want with manual shift. :cool:
View attachment 134457 View attachment 134458
VERY NICE RP! Congrats on the CC DIY and thanks for sharing it with us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you GeoSoul and to everyone who posted and contributed content on this and related topics. I wouldn't have known this was possible and fairly straight forward without the posts and having confirmation on correct part number(s) was great. This is an awesome forum!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am thankful you got it done and found the forum useful! Now go enjoy all that “hard” work!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts