Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Just wondering I have the Soul + standard wheels.. I noticed way too much clearance for my liking.. I believe I would like my Soul to be lowered. (Easier on my other sports cars cause of the adjustability, of all corners, makes it possible.) I hear that the current design if the back suspension makes it difficult, but not impossible to modify. The goal is to lower the car, improve the handling and yet.. somehow retain "most" of the ride quality.. so... couple of questions have come to mind:

1) I believe I see 1.5 -2.0" I can lower safely?? anyone think this is acceptable (the goal is to lower cg, improve handling ..plus to my way of thinking, looks nice)

2) Any recommendations on springs?? (don't know if anyone knows the standard rate on both front & rear springs?) which manufacturer would you would recommend to buy?

3) If you go to a slightly larger wheel .. say 17" , I would have to take into consideration the rate of the springs (i.e. they need to be stiffer but only slightly as I don't want a "jarring" ride)
does anyone have any thoughts on this or has anyone lowered their rides with some great results?? ( I know I assume that there will be a compromise.. just wanted it to be only slight)

4) Can camber & caster be adjusted on the rear suspension??

Im sorry if this post may have been already done earlier.. been looking at all of them and some info was vague.. Thank You for all your help guys.. this has been an wonderful experience so far... now to come up with a name for her???? :think

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
7,974 Posts
I will be a little rougher.....it really depends on the spring kit you have. :)

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
I will be a little rougher.....it really depends on the spring kit you have. :)
Absolutely...........tempest has just returned to the UK after being here in Canada on vacation. He rode in as many different Souls as he could while here and commented that the ride qualities in the lowered ones he rode in were quite different. Using stock or aftermarket dampers will have an effect on the overall ride too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Absolutely...........tempest has just returned to the UK after being here in Canada on vacation. He rode in as many different Souls as he could while here and commented that the ride qualities in the lowered ones he rode in were quite different. Using stock or aftermarket dampers will have an effect on the overall ride too.
Yep, understood, I would like to lower no more than 2".. but maintain the ride quality for thr near future. I was told h&r springs do that & for a decent price.. now that might be a waste of $$$ if I decided to buy some coilovers within the next year or two... hmmmmm decisions, decisions.. tires, rims, tiedowns both upper & lower , front & rear.. so much to do, so little time! lol!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I ride B&G springs and I love the ride. nice progressive spring and lowers just under 2". Not bouncy and you can feel the road which is what I like. But i'm also running 19's (19x8.5)and when I hit a bump....you can feel it. But rides on rails around corners. If you go with 17's the ride will be nice. My 19's are summer wheels so when i have my stock 16's on for the winter the bumps are not harsh.

·
Vendor
676 Posts
Anytime you use lowering springs only, you can expect the ride comfort to suffer. My car is sitting on Eibach Sportlines with factory shocks and struts, which look great and handle well...but ride comfort is far from "comfortable". If you plan to add coilovers in the future, I'd hold off on springs.

-Nick C.

·
Super Moderator
9,510 Posts
Where did you find the roof rack
That is actually three pieces: Roof Rails (can be gotten from various sources, but SSD performance supplies them, they are on this forum); Roof Rails (also from several sources, SSD Performance carries a line of them also), and the insert which comes, again, from several sources like Thule, etc. Search the forum and I am sure you can find sources listed in here.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Waiting for someone to come out with coilovers for the soul. Anyone know of someone at stance coilovers? Have them make one. Its time for the souls to go stance!! Lol

·
Registered
172 Posts
Maybe it's my age, but . . .
I GET that lowering a car makes it LOOK 'Cool', but I fail to see how it would enhance Handling. :confused:
Skimming along just a couple of inches off the road might be fine on glass-smooth roads, but dips, bumps and ridges (aka, Real World Road Conditions) have GOT to cause issues. :think
Now, if it was ME -- I would understand wanting to RAISE the Soul a couple of inches -- and make it even easier to get into and out of! :laughonfloor

1 - 20 of 35 Posts