Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just got my new car about 3 weeks again, absolutely love it, but i need to lowering it before i put rims on it. I havent found any threads or sites with anything about 2020 lowering kits but have found a 2019 kit, does anyone know if the suspension setup (mainly just coil springs) is the same from gen 2 to gen 3?? anything would help!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've been looking around also. Then they did the Soul reveal, there is an interview where they state that the GT-Line Turbo is lowered from the stock Soul ride height (and it was pretty obvious). But when the production cars came out, they weren't lowered.....
So, I haven't found anything yet, if you do, I'd love to hear about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome on board. There is not much on lowering kits for these cars. Some have done it mostly Gen 1 cars. I think that there is some difference between Gen 2 and Gen 3 in this area since the change in frame and body sizes.
so you say they changed frames?
i called my local kia parts department and he said he needed a VIN # from the donor (2019) to make sure it would fit but they said it would most likely be the same, from EX to EX only. springs from a gen 2 GT would not fit however

·
Registered
88 Posts
Check part number compatibility with the Kona. Like in a website like rockauto, look up same suspension parts for both vehicles

·
Registered
431 Posts
If I had access to a 3G that was willing to part with their springs for a day, I could have the rates measured at a shop here in DFW and then probably figure out the right rates and dimensions to lower the car a bit... same with the 2G. I think the 2G has the perfect wheel gap from the factory though. It's even all around.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
There are a few ways one can lower their cars.
1-Shorter springs.
2-Softer springs.
3-Coil-overs.
In the absence of coil overs one may have to resort to methods 1 & 2, neither which are necessarily correct just necessary.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The title of this post caught my eye.

I was thinking it could somehow be lowered w/ smaller tires & rims?
Otherwise, I want to find out if there are any aftermarket "RUNNING BOARD " for 2020.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm always a little puzzled by posts like this one. Why lower your car? You'll be changing its suspension geometry, and that usually leads to unanticipated problems. Is it just an appearance issue? Aren't you concerned about the warranty issues? I realize that people want to customize their ride, but I'm not sure I get it with a brand new car...

·
Registered
431 Posts
There are a few ways one can lower their cars.
1-Shorter springs.
2-Softer springs.
3-Coil-overs.
In the absence of coil overs one may have to resort to methods 1 & 2, neither which are necessarily correct just necessary.
1 and 2 usually go together, but with shorter springs at a stiffer (not softer) rate so you're not bottoming out once you decrease your suspension travel.
The title of this post caught my eye.

I was thinking it could somehow be lowered w/ smaller tires & rims?
Otherwise, I want to find out if there are any aftermarket "RUNNING BOARD " for 2020.
A smaller overall diameter wheel/tire package would get the vehicle closer to the ground, but would open up the wheel gap between the top of the tire and the fender even more, leading to an even more exaggerated lifted look. The illusion to the eye goes like this- if the gap from the tire to the fender is larger than the height of the sidewall, the car generally looked lifted. I like my fender gap to be even all around, and the Soul sits pretty close to that from the factory.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Phunky.Buddha & CA Transplant -
(Sorry for dissertation) -

When first came on the scene, I always thought the "hamster car" Soul was so cute & funky, along with "little toaster" XB These 2 were great, LOWER GROUND CLEARANCE, alternatives to too HIGH SUVs. (I am 5'1")

I finally got rid of my '08 Civic, then my '13 Accord which was "too big" for me. I was DETERMINED to get a SMALL vehicle SUV/hatchback. Friends hace Subaru Crosstalk and Forester. I felt too high, luckily Forester had running boards.

Consumers Reports always had great reviews for SOUL, and Apr '19 "car issue" sold me on Gen 3 - 2020 EX. Local dealer didn't have 2020's on lot, tried to sell me a new'18 or new '19.
I test drove a 2019 sport, dealer would have an EX driven up from Cerritos Kia . The 2020 arrived at dealership at 930p, after dealership closed at 9p. Having signed all docs earlier in afternoon (got there at 230p), we waited in lot, till car arrived. EX arrived, I literally got the keys and just drove home.

So being that a modify to lower is crazy.... RUNNING BOARD would be the fix my short moi.
Is there such a thing and where in L.A. area could I buy & have installed?

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
@ CA.Transplant

I do ♡ my '20 EX!

NOT lowering for aesthetics to make a "low rider."

I just want to modify w/running board or step up to easily climb in to my "higher than expected" EX.

·
Super Moderator
9,510 Posts
I have never seen custom fit runniing boards for the Soul, any Generation. However there are generic ones including side steps that may fit. Do you have a mechanic that could help you find a set of generics? Or are you experienced to do it yourself? You could contact CARid on this site, a vendor sponsor on here. They may be able to help you out.

·
Registered
484 Posts
@ CA.Transplant

I do ♡ my '20 EX!

NOT lowering for aesthetics to make a "low rider."

I just want to modify w/running board or step up to easily climb in to my "higher than expected" EX.
You have a legitimate reason to lower your car. I don't know of any running boards that would work, though. I see the problem from your photo, but have no solution to offer. Perhaps a step, like some people install on pickup trucks and SUVs would work. I don't know what would be involved in installing one, though.

Here's a page on Amazon that might give you some ideas:

This particular model might work on a Soul. I haven't check the door clearance at the bottom, though:

·
Registered
431 Posts
So being that a modify to lower is crazy.... RUNNING BOARD would be the fix my short moi.
Is there such a thing and where in L.A. area could I buy & have installed?
Ohhh yeah that makes sense- but to be fair my wife is 5'2" and I'm trying to make her Soul even taller. :) And yes, running boards would probably make the most sense for you, or some kind of step.

HOWEVER- my solution would be to replace the suspension with an airbag system so you could drop your car allll the way down to the ground to get in and out, and then air up and drive away. Might cost $3-4k plus install though. ;) Not realistic!

This particular model might work on a Soul. I haven't check the door clearance at the bottom, though:
So I'd be very hesitant to mount something like that on a unibody vehicle. A step like that experiences extremely high stresses from someone putting their full body weight on it, and going through just a few bolt locations mounted underneath a unibody car would cause it to rip out. That step is also probably tall enough to not allow you to go over speed bumps either. Something like that which folded up against the car when not in use and was spread out across quite a bit more area for mounting would be better. Keep in mind that the Soul really only has a little more than 6" of ground clearance. Steps or running boards would significantly reduce the clearance to the ground and could cause issues in normal driving.

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
based on the info I gather they mean no additional holes. they are repurposing existing ones.
they had 2 more appearance versions,
current list sub $300usd

1 - 20 of 25 Posts