Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to upgrade my new 2011 Soul (! w/2.0L), and dropped the socket down the spark plug hole. It doesn't seem to be all the way onto the spark plug, but stuck in there pretty good. Had bent up a brass coat hanger - got it stuck onto the bottom of the socket (by poking it through the hole (its an impact sized socket) - only to shear the hanger in half from pulling up so hard. One mechanic I know says that I'll have to remove the head to get it out . . . any other ideas?

·
Registered
255 Posts
So is it stuck because you didn't use a deep well socket and you can't get an extension into the socket?

Or is it that socket is stuck inside the tube on the plug? Honestly, I don't know what it could be catching on since the tube is smooth inside.

Did you try using a magnetic pick up to trying pulling it out?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it

Sprayed down the hole some PB (as the socket wouldn't turn), waited an hour and then slowly kept cranking on it with a ratchet wrench - held at a slight angle and gently pulled UP. Kept popping off, but slowly raised the socket out.

·
Registered
255 Posts
It was stuck, as it wouldn't even turn.
Excellent news that it came out. Were you using a standard deep well socket or a plug socket?

Because of the newer designs with the plugs buried in the head. You may need to use a plug socket. Or maybe the socket you used has a weird O.D that caused to get it bound in the sleeve?

Did it feel tight on the other cylinders or was this the only one you tried?

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
what "upgrade" were you doing?.... i thought the spark plugs were good quality already and were designed to last at least 60k?

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,086 Posts
Glad you got it out! But please use the correct socket.....impact sockets generally have a thicker wall making the diameter to large to go in tight areas. :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Good advice about using ONLY spark plug sockets. Others
don't have the protective sleeve inside for the ceramic insulator
on the spark plug. I always recommend staying with the OEM
plugs. Their engineers work long and hard finding the right fit.
Other brands could run at the wrong tempatures and can be
a slightly different thread. Don't take a chance.

I do recommend changing the plugs more often and/or using a
small amount of never-sieze on the threads. I take out the
original plugs and put a small amount of anti-sieze on the
threads to make sure you can get them out. Be carefull and
don't get any on the electrode or ceramic insulator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts