Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

161 - 180 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello all. About 4 months ago, I took my 2015 soul+, has about 88k miles on it at the time, in to dealership for an oil change. About 2k miles later, the oil level was barely showing on the dipstick. I took it back to them and told them. I did not see any where it could be leaking oil from also there was no signs of blueish smoke or any type of smoke coming from the tail pipe. They topped off the oil and told me to come back after driving it for 1k miles. Which I did. The oil level was half way on the dipstick. The service manager informed me that I only lost a half of quart of oil in that 1k miles of driving. I asked him is that right, in other words, if the oil level is hitting the L, it will only take 1 quart of oil to put the oil level up to full. Kia manufacturer specs states losing less than 1 quart of oil is fine. It's normal oil consumption. Something doesn't set right with me. Did anyone else have the same problem as me with the same response from the shop you took it to?
i bought a kia 2014 soul sport with a gdi 2.0l off the factory floor, it has burned oil like crazy from day 1, kia make the engine very loss in the toulance, that why it ony take full systhint oil (teflon base), and to this day I still can not buy a mech manual for it, because kia will not release the spec, and that was 7 year ago. the 2.0l engine are design like a 2 stroke weed whaker, and never put a normal battery in it ,it will die in a month, its that stop/start crap, you need the glass pack ones that cost $300

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello all. About 4 months ago, I took my 2015 soul+, has about 88k miles on it at the time, in to dealership for an oil change. About 2k miles later, the oil level was barely showing on the dipstick. I took it back to them and told them. I did not see any where it could be leaking oil from also there was no signs of blueish smoke or any type of smoke coming from the tail pipe. They topped off the oil and told me to come back after driving it for 1k miles. Which I did. The oil level was half way on the dipstick. The service manager informed me that I only lost a half of quart of oil in that 1k miles of driving. I asked him is that right, in other words, if the oil level is hitting the L, it will only take 1 quart of oil to put the oil level up to full. Kia manufacturer specs states losing less than 1 quart of oil is fine. It's normal oil consumption. Something doesn't set right with me. Did anyone else have the same problem as me with the same response from the shop you took it to?
I have a 2014 Kia Soul Exclaim that is loosing oil. No leaks or smoking. I am currently going through the consumption tests with the dealer every 1000 miles. Below is where I am at with that and do not think this should be happening.

Mileage Down (quart)
1000= .4
1000= .8
1000= 1/2
1000= 1/2
1000=

So, if I am down another 1/2 on the last test that would be 2.25 quarts out of 4.83 or .47% of the oil gone between oil changes. has to be something wrong.
GDI are design to burn oil,

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,682 Posts
Reactions: eGAK009

·
Registered
344 Posts
My weed whacker is an EV😛

My tally wacker is EV, last I checked 🤪

Have to check the Dip-Stick!

BTW > GDI stands for Gawd Darn Invention 😖

·
Registered
607 Posts
The manufacturer is the primary one that doesn't like to see you check the oil.
I would think precisely the opposite.

Shareholders would prefer car buyers to frequently check the oil. That way there would be fewer problems, fewer dissatisfied customers, and higher returns to shareholders.

The fewer the reported major problems, the better reputation of the vehicle and more likely robust consumer demand going forward. Once again, shareholders benefit.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
I would think precisely the opposite.

Shareholders would prefer car buyers to frequently check the oil. That way there would fewer problems and fewer dissatisfied customers, and higher returns to shareholders.

The fewer the reported major problems, the better reputation of the vehicle and more likely robust consumer demand going forward. Once again, shareholders benefit.
Didn't Kia's oil letter even remind owners to frequently check and change their oil?

·
Registered
344 Posts
What! Are we going back to the 50's? Check your oil and tire pressure at every fill up?
My 1999 F150 Ford Van V-6 (100K+) has never shown to drink oil :rolleyes:
Driven mostly on the highway in warm to hot temps. I always used 5W-40 full synthetic oil.
Changed the oil at 5-6K miles.(y)
No major parts failure in the drive train to date:D
Of course, now it sits in the driveway, and grows old...:confused:

·
Registered
284 Posts
The manufacturer hasn't cared about the Kia purchasers with GDI / TGDI engines since 2012. That's when the engine troubles started and have resumed ever since. It does not take Kia / Hyundai engine builders nine years to figure out what's wrong. All these engine failures and excess oil consumption should have been halted in three years max (2015).

So I REPEAT.
Manufacturer could care-less if your engine fails. If they cared, then these engine problems would have been corrected 5-6 years ago.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The manufacturer hasn't cared about the Kia purchasers with GDI / TGDI engines since 2012. That's when the engine troubles started and have resumed ever since. It does not take Kia / Hyundai engine builders nine years to figure out what's wrong. All these engine failures and excess oil consumption should have been halted in three years max (2015). So I REPEAT. Manufacturer could care-less if your engine fails. If they cared, then these engine problems would have been corrected 5-6 years ago.
This. All day long. Billion dollar fines and recalls have done nothing to motivate them to actually do the right thing and at least be transparent with their consumers. Instead they continue to choose to lie, deny, deflect.

·
Registered
344 Posts
This. All day long. Billion dollar fines and recalls have done nothing to motivate them to actually do the right thing and at least be transparent with their consumers. Instead they continue to choose to lie, deny, deflect.
:cautious:Should have done more reading prior to the Soul purchase:rolleyes: It's all so sad and wrong!
Now, they can't produce enough new vehicles due to shortage of computer chips! o_O
I just like chips and salsa, only!:LOL:

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
I can't help but think they are kicking this can down the road because it's the end of the line for gas engines. There will be no more R&D or support for this technology. It's dead & dying in favor of EVs whether we like it or not. The "fixes" for these engine problems will mostly be mitigation efforts, warranty extensions & in extreme cases, new engine blocks.

In Washington State it will be illegal to sell or register a new ICE vehicle in 2030, just 8.5 years from now. I'm guessing the transition will be happening well before that. Many other States & the Nation will do the same in the next 5 years or so. Just saw Honda will no longer produce gas vehicles in 2040. They are late to the game.

In my case, Kia has extended the power train warranty to 2029, 15 years because of the piston/knock issues (I've had zero problems with my Soul). This will more than likely be my last gasoline powered car. I can't imagine car makers putting much more effort into perfecting the gasoline engine problems that are industry wide (oil dilution, piston rings, GDI, carbon buildup, failed catalytic converters etc...)

Reactions: SoulFail

·
Registered
607 Posts
The manufacturer hasn't cared about the Kia purchasers with GDI / TGDI engines since 2012. That's when the engine troubles started and have resumed ever since. It does not take Kia / Hyundai engine builders nine years to figure out what's wrong. All these engine failures and excess oil consumption should have been halted in three years max (2015).

So I REPEAT.
Manufacturer could care-less if your engine fails. If they cared, then these engine problems would have been corrected 5-6 years ago.

And I will repeat. You know nothing about business or economics.

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
Scottys Oil Facts for Dummies?

Check the oil before buying used car

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX
44 Posts
I have to add a post here. Seems like this "oil consumption" problem has been going on for a LONG TIME! If ANY new vehicle CONSUMES 1/2 quart of oil per 1000 miles.............THIS IS ABSOLUTELY NOT NORMAL!
My 2020 engine is being replaced at 8k miles. They tried to sell me this line of bullshit too. DO NOT ACCEPT THIS ANSWER!
1/2 quart of OIL BURN per 1000 miles is 50 quarts of oil BURNED INTO atmosphere in 50k miles(think that math is right! This is oil you must ADD to system in between oil changes. As noted...THIS IS NOT a 2 cycle engine!
I am appalled that people accept this.
Contact EPA and let them know Kia thinks its ok to burn that kind of oil.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have to add a post here. Seems like this "oil consumption" problem has been going on for a LONG TIME! If ANY new vehicle CONSUMES 1/2 quart of oil per 1000 miles.............THIS IS ABSOLUTELY NOT NORMAL!
My 2020 engine is being replaced at 8k miles. They tried to sell me this line of bullshit too. DO NOT ACCEPT THIS ANSWER!
1/2 quart of OIL BURN per 1000 miles is 50 quarts of oil BURNED INTO atmosphere in 50k miles(think that math is right! This is oil you must ADD to system in between oil changes. As noted...THIS IS NOT a 2 cycle engine!
I am appalled that people accept this.
Contact EPA and let them know Kia thinks its ok to burn that kind of oil.
Better tell them about Toyota and Honda etc too then.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX
44 Posts
Better tell them about Toyota and Honda etc too then.
If brand new toyotas and hondas are buring that kind of oil, yeah......that's crazy. Only time i've had to add this kind of oil to a vehicle is when you have a leak that is obvious, you know every where you park an oil spot. So you keep a quart of oil on hand.
Think of this....if I don't check and add oil between 5k oil changes my crankcase is less than 50% capacity. Basically you'll have a dry dipstick at 5k. Is that acceptable? Hardly. Any mechanic will tell me that is OK....I would question your knowledge.
And I'm anal....maybe obvious, and check oil often. I will tell you MORE than 50 percent of people do not. My 83 yr old mother doesn't.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX
44 Posts
I can't help but think they are kicking this can down the road because it's the end of the line for gas engines. There will be no more R&D or support for this technology. It's dead & dying in favor of EVs whether we like it or not. The "fixes" for these engine problems will mostly be mitigation efforts, warranty extensions & in extreme cases, new engine blocks.

In Washington State it will be illegal to sell or register a new ICE vehicle in 2030, just 8.5 years from now. I'm guessing the transition will be happening well before that. Many other States & the Nation will do the same in the next 5 years or so. Just saw Honda will no longer produce gas vehicles in 2040. They are late to the game.

In my case, Kia has extended the power train warranty to 2029, 15 years because of the piston/knock issues (I've had zero problems with my Soul). This will more than likely be my last gasoline powered car. I can't imagine car makers putting much more effort into perfecting the gasoline engine problems that are industry wide (oil dilution, piston rings, GDI, carbon buildup, failed catalytic converters etc...)
Interesting angle as I hadn't thought about the electric vehicle and how it plays into this. You're right, we're moving very quickly towards EV adaptation as some states are making legislation and some car companies stating no more gas engines by certain dates.
Unfortunately for me I would have to move if I buy an electric vehicle! :p
I live in a condo built in the 70's as do a whole lot of Floridians. Don't think a bunch of extension cords running to our vehicles will work. So....while I like the idea of an EV vehicle, in some case adapting will take a lot of effort.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Only a dummie that hasn't grasped why Kia / Hyundai GDI / TGDI engines are the only manufacturer that doesn't wash the back-side of their valves. They also use soft rod bearings and finally fixed the screen problems with their fuel pumps. But it took too many years for them to figure that out.

Business and economics are run differently in S. Korea Westslope. Maybe that's why they have some of the worst colleges in the free world. Perhaps your education in economics, business and vehicle manufacturing is lacking also.

If you claim you want to a good accredited university, then your lack of knowing what's good resulted from too many closed eyes and ears in those classrooms.

I can't talk to the misunderstood anymore on this. Not worth my time Westslope..... meaning you sir.

Reactions: SoulFail

·
Registered
24 Posts

I agree with your premise that manufacturers are beginning to shift away from ICE engines. However, this seems like a "biting off your nose, to spite your face" type scenario.

My biggest contention is not the mechanical issues that are occurring. My issue is that KIA/Hyundai is being flat out deceptive to consumers. Eroding trust with current owners surely won't lead to repeat sales, even when looking to EVs.

I find it amusing that many here choose to defend a company that is so far offside that it is laughable. :ROFLMAO:

161 - 180 of 206 Posts