Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
335 Posts
Slightly shorter intervals between oil changes might help but is that sufficient?

Something I believe that I am noticing is the following:

The wife and I drive short distances around the village for a week or longer. The engine heats up according to the gauge but does not get the same work out as a bunch of kilometers on the highway with big hills.

I notice that Soul starts to idle a bit rougher.

Contrast that with a 3 hour round trip by hilly highway to the regional urban centre or a 4 hour round trip down the Fraser Canyon at high speeds. After those trips, the Soul always seems to idle smoothly.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yep, highway / freeway drives with a heavy gas pedal whenever possible and legal. Another aid is thicker oil. Some Kia and Hyundai board members across 8-9 different models of South Korean vehicles having four cylinder engines of various ages, are beginning to switch to 0w40 and 5w40 motor oils SN Plus..... with good results in slowing / eliminating oil loss.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,296 Posts
i am using 5-30w now.. just had the pcv valve replaced today. will see what the outcome is.
Good things to try Zeke! Please let us know how this plays out. Wishing you all the best!

·
Registered
99 Posts
The pcv value made no difference for me.. seems now that i am in the 185km that it burns about a liter ever 800-100km
I've read a few hundred responses over the years that nothing changes / nothing happens differently, when changing PC Valves. It's like strinking out in a baseball game 100 times and still facing a 000 batting average.

I looked for improvement 3-4 times since the 1970s and a PC Valve change never improved my issues. Never ran any better. Never improved consumption.

I still change the valve when needed. I've just come to expect nothing in the results department.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I've read a few hundred responses over the years that nothing changes / nothing happens differently, when changing PC Valves. It's like strinking out in a baseball game 100 times and still facing a 000 batting average.

I looked for improvement 3-4 times since the 1970s and a PC Valve change never improved my issues. Never ran any better. Never improved consumption.

I still change the valve when needed. I've just come to expect nothing in the results department.
May be more important on a GDI motor.

·
Registered
99 Posts
May be more important on a GDI motor.
I suppose.
But it's probably only important to investigate the PCV, when / where a lack of maintenance exists.
I keep forgetting how many vehicle owners on these S. Korean messageboards never raise the hood of their vehicle, for thousands of miles. The only time we hear from them is when they finally encounter Dr. Negative Issue, generally always exisiting because of a lack of maintenance.
Incredible.

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
779 Posts
But it's probably only important to investigate the PCV, when / where a lack of maintenance exists.

In case you hadn't seen my post on these forums from last week, I replaced my PCV @ 20k miles and it took me only 10 minutes, the replacement part cost under $10 and I was able to visually inspect whether gunky, oily crud was building up within the system. For me it was totally worth the very little time, effort and cost it took to replace it and I will continue to do so after every 20k miles. Plus my engine is now purring along with more pickup than it had before I replaced the PVC.

You're welcome to believe whatever you wish about a modern engine's PCV system, but I'll use my own recent experience as my testimony to the importance of maintaining the valve on my Soul's GDI engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all. About 4 months ago, I took my 2015 soul+, has about 88k miles on it at the time, in to dealership for an oil change. About 2k miles later, the oil level was barely showing on the dipstick. I took it back to them and told them. I did not see any where it could be leaking oil from also there was no signs of blueish smoke or any type of smoke coming from the tail pipe. They topped off the oil and told me to come back after driving it for 1k miles. Which I did. The oil level was half way on the dipstick. The service manager informed me that I only lost a half of quart of oil in that 1k miles of driving. I asked him is that right, in other words, if the oil level is hitting the L, it will only take 1 quart of oil to put the oil level up to full. Kia manufacturer specs states losing less than 1 quart of oil is fine. It's normal oil consumption. Something doesn't set right with me. Did anyone else have the same problem as me with the same response from the shop you took it to?
I’m having an oil consumption test done on my 2016 Kia Soul. I’m losing oil constantly and am fed up with it. I’ve only got 58,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
good luck... cause the dealerships here in YYC dont see it as an issue... I do!! i have owned over 30 cars in my life.. this is the FIRST one to have this issue... It would be nice to have a class action suite against KIA to have them admit and fix the issue. How would one go about doing that??

·
Registered
260 Posts
"..KIA to have them admit and fix the issue."

All this talk of oil :censored: won't resolve the underlying issue! Changing oil every week won't fix it either! (n)

121 - 134 of 134 Posts