Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,299 Posts
Yep;) After almost 5 years going to the dealer for oil (overfill) changes, I'm going to do my own. Don't want to catch anything nasty at the dealer anyway:confused: Going to document the whole exercise..maybe a video:LOL:
Will probably go with the less expensive "GDI" 5W-30 oil.
Have a Good & Safe Day!
We're on the same page Celron. I'm going to do my own too, except I bought the oil last year and it's 5w-20. I'll use it this once and then go back to 5w-30. That's what the dealer has put in since inception.

My mistake was reading the manual :)

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
335 Posts
We're on the same page Celron. I'm going to do my own too, except I bought the oil last year and it's 5w-20. I'll use it this once and then go back to 5w-30. That's what the dealer has put in since inception.

My mistake was reading the manual :)
Now, now. The manual also allows 5W-30. Please do not encourage the youngsters to not read the __ manual (insert colourful adjective of choice).

It is OK to occasionally disagree with manuals and FSMs (factory service manuals) but generally it is good idea to read them carefully first.

But now that you are performing this beautiful, natural experiment, please record how much oil is lost/added between oil changes with the 5W-20 as opposed to the 5W-30.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
100 Posts
There are thick and thin 5w20s and thick and thin 5w30s.

Being I mainly always use 5w30s, I know the viscosity ranges better.
Example
Pennzoil Platinum is thin [email protected] 9.8 (average)
Quaker State Ultimate is thick [email protected] 11.3 (average)

So if you're expecting a noticeable improvement in consumption, moving from 20w to 30w, well that depends on how the oil is built and viscosity ranges.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Geez...

Is this test at your request or did your dealer initiate that?
That's actually their process for monitoring oil consumption as I'm going through it now. Depending on why it's losing oil there's actually some recalls that can involve having the engine completely replaced. Mine just burned up the catalytic converter under this. Funny part is they actually tried to charge me like 1500 for it, I actually had to remind them it was under recall. Dealerships are just untrustworthy, more so every year...

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI all, I'm glad I found this forum. I am begrudgingly joining. My 2014 Kia Soul has 87,000 on it and sounded like a Diesel engine! Yup, oil loss. Independent garage wants me to come in after 1,000 miles to check. Will start documenting. With all this history and problems I'm reading, I am reconsidering getting another Kia. Sad, cause I love that car!

·
Registered
966 Posts
That sucks, but if you're the original owner, at least you have 13,000 miles left under warranty. If you're not the original owner, then not so much...

Greg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello all. About 4 months ago, I took my 2015 soul+, has about 88k miles on it at the time, in to dealership for an oil change. About 2k miles later, the oil level was barely showing on the dipstick. I took it back to them and told them. I did not see any where it could be leaking oil from also there was no signs of blueish smoke or any type of smoke coming from the tail pipe. They topped off the oil and told me to come back after driving it for 1k miles. Which I did. The oil level was half way on the dipstick. The service manager informed me that I only lost a half of quart of oil in that 1k miles of driving. I asked him is that right, in other words, if the oil level is hitting the L, it will only take 1 quart of oil to put the oil level up to full. Kia manufacturer specs states losing less than 1 quart of oil is fine. It's normal oil consumption. Something doesn't set right with me. Did anyone else have the same problem as me with the same response from the shop you took it to?
need to go to shop grrrrrrrrrrr. have only 45k on 2017 soul basic and oil was at same point as yours. Have read it might be PCV. I am taking it back to dealer for 45k bloated service but, I certainly want answers as to why the oil is so low especially as the oil change sticker theirs notes a different mileage to have oil changed at. Will get an answer or a suit

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Just a friendly reminder, there is no correlation between the oil level in ones engine & the date of an oil change. You can have your oil changed every 3,000 miles & still run out of oil & have a seized engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just an update on My 2015 Kia Soul.. I am now at 180,000km on a second engine. I find now I need to put a litre of oil in ever 500-600km. It seems the issue gets worse over time. Went to Kia.. nothing as far as support.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Just an update on My 2015 Kia Soul.. I am now at 180,000km on a second engine. I find now I need to put a litre of oil in ever 500-600km. It seems the issue gets worse over time. Went to Kia.. nothing as far as support.
What's your oil weight Zeke? Last time PCV changed?

Thanks.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
335 Posts
Are you interested in taking over maintenance of your vehicle?

Many of us could provide a routine and measures that would reduce that oil loss but there is not much point if you are not interested. I say this Zeke because so many new posters show up, make a few complaints and then disappear.

·
Registered
261 Posts
"..there is no correlation between the oil level in ones engine & the date of an oil change. You can have your oil changed every 3,000 miles & still run out of oil & have a seized engine."

Yes, GeoSoul, That being the case:unsure:what are we to think about the Severe Maintenance Letter from Kia??:mad:
Cover a mortal wound with a band-aid..all is well?:sneaky:

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
"..there is no correlation between the oil level in ones engine & the date of an oil change. You can have your oil changed every 3,000 miles & still run out of oil & have a seized engine."

Yes, GeoSoul, That being the case:unsure:what are we to think about the Severe Maintenance Letter from Kia??:mad:
Cover a mortal wound with a band-aid..all is well?:sneaky:
I hear what you're saying celron. Nobody wants to step up oil change maintenance (I sure don't). Everyone is p*ssed at Kia. However their Severe Conditions Maintenance guidelines seem the same as other carmakers. As an example, here's Hondas:

Follow the Honda Severe Conditions Maintenance Schedule if you drive your car MAINLY under one or more of the following conditions: Driving less than 5 miles (8 km) per trip or, in freezing temperatures, driving less than 10 miles (16 km) per trip. Driving in extremely hot [over 90°F (32°C)] conditions. Extensive or prolonged idling.

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
797 Posts
I hear what you're saying celron. Nobody wants to step up oil change maintenance (I sure don't). Everyone is p*ssed at Kia. However their Severe Conditions Maintenance guidelines seem the same as other carmakers. As an example, here's Hondas:

Follow the Honda Severe Conditions Maintenance Schedule if you drive your car MAINLY under one or more of the following conditions: Driving less than 5 miles (8 km) per trip or, in freezing temperatures, driving less than 10 miles (16 km) per trip. Driving in extremely hot [over 90°F (32°C)] conditions. Extensive or prolonged idling.
I hate idling.

·
Registered
261 Posts
"Follow the Honda Severe Conditions Maintenance Schedule.."

That's why i did not buy a Honda! :LOL:

"Driving less than 5 miles (8 km) per trip or, in freezing temperatures, driving less than 10 miles (16 km) per trip. Driving in extremely hot [over 90°F (32°C)] conditions. Extensive or prolonged idling."

That's why i leave the Soul in the garage and just look at it for fun! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
"Follow the Honda Severe Conditions Maintenance Schedule.."

That's why i did not buy a Honda! :LOL:

"Driving less than 5 miles (8 km) per trip or, in freezing temperatures, driving less than 10 miles (16 km) per trip. Driving in extremely hot [over 90°F (32°C)] conditions. Extensive or prolonged idling."

That's why i leave the Soul in the garage and just look at it for fun!:ROFLMAO:
It is awfully good looking Soul!

I "think" the Severe Maintenance guidelines may have less to do with the carmaker and more to do with what happens to oil when used under those conditions. Castrol says the same thing as the carmakers:

Severe Driving Conditions Service | Castrol Premium Lube

• Driving in stop-and-go traffic
  • Extensive engine idling
  • Taking multiple short trips averaging 5 to 10 miles in length
  • Driving in extremely hot or cold temperatures
  • Driving at prolonged higher engine speeds
  • Frequent cold start-ups and shut downs
  • Driving in dusty or muddy conditions
  • Towing and/or hauling heavy loads
  • Driving in mountainous terrain

Reactions: Kerig3

·
Registered
261 Posts
  • X-Driving in stop-and-go traffic
  • X-Extensive engine idling
  • X-Taking multiple short trips averaging 5 to 10 miles in length
  • X-Driving in extremely hot or cold temperatures
  • 0-Driving at prolonged higher engine speeds
  • X-Frequent cold start-ups and shut downs
  • 0-Driving in dusty or muddy conditions
  • 0-Towing and/or hauling heavy loads
  • X-Driving in mountainous terrain
  • OK! Is this a Pass/Fail Test? How do we evaluate? Used to send my abused oil to Blackstone!
  • :unsure:(y)(n)o_O
  • ??????????

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
  • X-Driving in stop-and-go traffic
  • X-Extensive engine idling
  • X-Taking multiple short trips averaging 5 to 10 miles in length
  • X-Driving in extremely hot or cold temperatures
  • 0-Driving at prolonged higher engine speeds
  • X-Frequent cold start-ups and shut downs
  • 0-Driving in dusty or muddy conditions
  • 0-Towing and/or hauling heavy loads
  • X-Driving in mountainous terrain
  • OK! Is this a Pass/Fail Test? How do we evaluate? Used to send my abused oil to Blackstone!
  • :unsure:(y)(n)o_O
  • ??????????
Castrols list of what constitutes Severe Driving. The link is right above it should you want to read for yourself :rolleyes:

Reactions: Kerig3

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
780 Posts
So are we really arguing whether we should change our oil slightly more often in order to prolong these small engine's lives into a 6 digit odometer reading? To what end, just to save an extra $35-$50 a year? The other choice would to make no changes to our preconceived oil change schedules (everyone seems to have a different one) and risk a prematurely seized engine around the 60-70k mile mark. We already know Kia will be less than sympathic to those types of problems should they occur, especially if out of warranty as most used early Gen2 Soul buyers would be.

If those are my choices I know which choice I'll be making!
I've never been much of a gambler. 😆

·
Registered
261 Posts
If those are my choices I know which choice I'll be making!
I've never been much of a gambler.

Well, with your low miles (10k for my '15 ) it's not much of a gamble:unsure: to not overdo the oil change schedule.
It's a toss $ up anyway.(y)o_O(n)

101 - 120 of 134 Posts