Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

61 - 80 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
A very good reason to check oil levels regularly.

There are issues in addition to running oil low and seizing pistons.
How many miles on the engine?
Did the plugs have any oil residue?
Any cat converter issues?

I worked my 1973 Datsun PL 620 hard, before installing a V8 in 1982.
Picture it loaded with two dirt bikes, pulling the I5 Grapevine at 80 MPH in 3rd gear (4 speed).

At 100,500 miles, that 1.6 L used less than 1/4 quart between 3,000 mile oil changes.
No engine service other than tune-ups...which were SO easy!
It then saw further service in a neighbor's newer Datsun.
One nice thing about the A4 (all Audi's I believe) is it had an oil level light that came on when down 1 quart. It also held a lot of oil (German engineering). I would check the oil prior to any road trip, but a couple of times I forgot and the light reminded me.

never had any cat issues, plugs looked real good - only changed them once. I sold the car to my neighbor with 77,000 and he has had it for four years and still runs great.

I would have preferred that it not burned oil and I was considering a Q5 when I got the Soul and my service rep actually told me to avoid the 2.0T due too oil consumption and go with the V6. Maybe that was good advice, but there are a lot of 2.0Ts out there and people, including me, love them - even if they eat some oil.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
330 Posts
Mr. Lube.

I would never trust an oil lube franchise like Mr. Lube.

With a 1993 Nissan Pathfinder, Mr. Lube overfilled the oil pan not once but twice. The first time resulted in a leak -- I never experienced a leaking oil prior to that -- and I removed the excess oil myself.

The second time, I got Mr. Lube to immediately reduce the overfill.

In both cases, they showed me the dipstick and it was not easy to see the overfill because the oil was clean.

Then I went to a Budget Brake and Muffler shop. Again, the mechanic overfilled. Unfortunately this time, I had to argue with him to get him to drain the excess oil.

============================================

I went back to changing the oil myself (as well as rotating tires).

The nice thing about changing the oil yourself is that you can choose top notch synthetic oil and slosh some of that oil through the oil pan to get rid of any accumulated sediment at the bottom.

Re-fill, check the level. Drive a bit. Check the level again. I have often topped up the oil a few days after draining and re-filling.

Sometimes I add a small bit of oil between mandatory changes for the 2015 Soul Ex (12,000 km). Most often not.

Reactions: GeekOnTheHill

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Mr. Lube.

With a 1993 Nissan Pathfinder, Mr. Lube overfilled the oil pan not once but twice. The first time resulted in a leak -- I never experienced a leaking oil prior to that -- and I removed the excess oil myself.

In both cases, they showed me the dipstick and it was not easy to see the overfill because the oil was clean.

Then I went to a Budget Brake and Muffler shop. Again, the mechanic overfilled. Unfortunately this time, I had to argue with him to get him to drain the excess oil.

The nice thing about changing the oil yourself is that you can choose top notch synthetic oil and slosh some of that oil through the oil pan to get rid of any accumulated sediment at the bottom.

Re-fill, check the level. Drive a bit. Check the level again. I have often topped up the oil a few days after draining and re-filling.

Sometimes I add a small bit of oil between mandatory changes for the 2015 Soul Ex (12,000 km). Most often not.
One would think that even the dumbest of mechanics would know how to do an oil change. Unfortunately, one would be wrong.

Richard

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
330 Posts
One would think that even the dumbest of mechanics would know how to do an oil change. Unfortunately, one would be wrong.

Richard

Dumb? Not sure about that.

The oil pan for the WD-21 Nissan Pathfinder (early 1990s) was unusually small and in one case was not even listed in the reference book or was listed incorrectly. (Mr. Lube if I recall correctly.) Throw in overhead fluorescent lights and it is indeed hard to see fresh oil on the dipstick.

If I was going to pay somebody to change the oil and oil filter, I would go to either a dealership or a reputable mechanic who specializes in Korean/Asian vehicles. I would also check the oil within minutes of leaving the shop and would check it again with a few days or immediately after it had been highway driven for a spell.

I suspect that occasionally air bubbles can give a misleading reading.

One other comment in relation to what I read above. If you are using quality, full synthetic oil and changing the oil and filter within specifications, there should be no requirement to 'flush' the engine. No additives should be required.

Good luck fellow Kia Soul peeps. -Erik

·
Registered
238 Posts
The oil consumption limits are really based on emissions. Generally the cats. are able to process up to xx quarts in yy miles and keep the emission under the values allowed. That's the only real reason we have consumption limits. Also that the cats. are specified to be able to handle that consumption until just past the federally mandated time period (time or miles). After 80,000 miles at 1 quart per 1000 you can pretty much be sure the cat. will fail in the very near future.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Dumb? Not sure about that.

The oil pan for the WD-21 Nissan Pathfinder (early 1990s) was unusually small and in one case was not even listed in the reference book or was listed incorrectly. (Mr. Lube if I recall correctly.) Throw in overhead fluorescent lights and it is indeed hard to see fresh oil on the dipstick.

If I was going to pay somebody to change the oil and oil filter, I would go to either a dealership or a reputable mechanic who specializes in Korean/Asian vehicles. I would also check the oil within minutes of leaving the shop and would check it again with a few days or immediately after it had been highway driven for a spell.

I suspect that occasionally air bubbles can give a misleading reading.

One other comment in relation to what I read above. If you are using quality, full synthetic oil and changing the oil and filter within specifications, there should be no requirement to 'flush' the engine. No additives should be required.

Good luck fellow Kia Soul peeps. -Erik
I don't believe in flushing engines with anything except oil; and even then, only when you either know that it's gunked up or have doubts about it's maintenance history. In those cases, I use a diesel-rated synthetic oil for a short OCI. Rarely, I'll do it for two short OCIs if the first drain looks like road tar.

I agree that in an engine that's had quality synthetic from the start, it should never be necessary. I also avoid oil additives like the plague. High-end oils are so scientifically advanced these days that additives are more likely to do harm than good.

Richard

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Mr. Lube.

If I didn't do my own oil changes, I think I'd put a placard on the engine cover right next to the oil filler cap with the oil capacity.

Richard

·
Registered
258 Posts
The overfill issue has been bugging me since 2015.:confused: After the next oil change, I'll probably do my own. How do I document the service to satisfy the Kia warranty requirements? With only 8K miles in 4 1/2 years, I feel a bit foolish going to the dealer.;)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
The overfill issue has been bugging me since 2015.:confused: After the next oil change, I'll probably do my own. How do I document the service to satisfy the Kia warranty requirements? With only 8K miles in 4 1/2 years, I feel a bit foolish going to the dealer.;)
I was trained as an aircraft mechanic back in the 1970's, and I use a spreadsheet very much like an aircraft's maintenance log to record everything I do to any vehicle I own. I also scan all the receipts into the computer, which is backed up to multiple destinations. The combination of a running log and purchase receipts should satisfy warranty requirements.

Also, with specific regard to oil-related issues, it's common for warranty issuers to get an oil sample from cars that come in for warranty service. The combination of the logs, the receipt, and the oil sample should put any oil-change questions to rest.

The only caution is to make sure the receipt bears the names of the items purchased. Some smaller shops issue generic register receipts, but I've never come across one that won't provide an itemized receipt on request. For items purchased from Amazon, etc., I print the invoice to PDF and save it.

Richard

·
Registered
258 Posts
All that sounds Legit enough. I was thinking of a Photo:unsure: File with all the action recorded. Also, purchases,oil spills and rags included in the manifesto for safe keeping:giggle: Maybe, there is an easier way.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,288 Posts
All that sounds Legit enough. I was thinking of a Photo:unsure: File with all the action recorded. Also, purchases,oil spills and rags included in the manifesto for safe keeping:giggle: Maybe, there is an easier way.:rolleyes:
I take a photo of the filter and the oil bottles and on any word processor, drop those 2 pics in along with scans of the receipts for each. Be sure to put the mileage and date on the page along with your VIN. That should be enough due diligence for any judge to side with you (if needed).

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I use a spreadsheet similar to this one:

I made a few changes to suit my OCD and converted it to Open Document format, but it's really fine the way it is on that site.

As a side benefit, if you meticulously maintain records, even of things like tire rotation and the like, it makes it easier to sell or trade in the car when the time comes. I log pretty much everything and turn the log and the receipts over to the dealer (or let a prospective buyer look them over). They probably think I'm nuts for logging things like removing mouse nests from under the engine cover, but they do know the car was well cared-for.

Richard

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks guys! Think I'll combine the suggestions to document the maintenance. Probably, after 5 years of Kia dealer service, I should be in good graces if something major ;) happens. I'll keep close tabs on the Oil level(y)
Thanks again!:coffee:

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,288 Posts
Thanks guys! Think I'll combine the suggestions to document the maintenance. Probably, after 5 years of Kia dealer service, I should be in good graces if something major ;) happens. I'll keep close tabs on the Oil level(y)
Thanks again!:coffee:
Like me, you'll more than likely be off warranty if/when anything happens. You know, because of super low mileage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all. About 4 months ago, I took my 2015 soul+, has about 88k miles on it at the time, in to dealership for an oil change. About 2k miles later, the oil level was barely showing on the dipstick. I took it back to them and told them. I did not see any where it could be leaking oil from also there was no signs of blueish smoke or any type of smoke coming from the tail pipe. They topped off the oil and told me to come back after driving it for 1k miles. Which I did. The oil level was half way on the dipstick. The service manager informed me that I only lost a half of quart of oil in that 1k miles of driving. I asked him is that right, in other words, if the oil level is hitting the L, it will only take 1 quart of oil to put the oil level up to full. Kia manufacturer specs states losing less than 1 quart of oil is fine. It's normal oil consumption. Something doesn't set right with me. Did anyone else have the same problem as me with the same response from the shop you took it to?
same issue, same milage, same year and model. Had the engine checked at the tune of $200 for a knock. Oil was super low, and the test showed low compression in a cylinder. Won't replace engine until it blows up.

·
Registered
903 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all. About 4 months ago, I took my 2015 soul+, has about 88k miles on it at the time, in to dealership for an oil change. About 2k miles later, the oil level was barely showing on the dipstick. I took it back to them and told them. I did not see any where it could be leaking oil from also there was no signs of blueish smoke or any type of smoke coming from the tail pipe. They topped off the oil and told me to come back after driving it for 1k miles. Which I did. The oil level was half way on the dipstick. The service manager informed me that I only lost a half of quart of oil in that 1k miles of driving. I asked him is that right, in other words, if the oil level is hitting the L, it will only take 1 quart of oil to put the oil level up to full. Kia manufacturer specs states losing less than 1 quart of oil is fine. It's normal oil consumption. Something doesn't set right with me. Did anyone else have the same problem as me with the same response from the shop you took it to?
I have 127k mi. On mine. I also started using excessive oil around 90k. Also got a cylinder 4 misfire that would dissapear fairly quickly. A few weeks later, before I got a chance to swap coils to see if the code would change the car ran really rough and threw off P0300 ( gen. Misfire), 0301, 2 and 4 codes. I installed a set of plugs - the old ones had about 40k on them and didn't look horrible - and the car seemed to run a bit better but still ran rough and didn't change the codes. I swapped coils around. The misfire codes stayed and csme bsck on when I cleared them.The really bizarre thing is when it misfires the MPG reading shoots up instead of plummeting like you'd think it would. I put everything back together and the light didn't come back on. While it was running rough it sort of sounded like a bad rod. I drove with no problems for about 80 miles and then filled up with Speedway regular and put in a bottle of STP fuel treatment. 30 miles later going up a grade the car misfired, continued running rough and threw off a P0301 code. Against my better judgement I've taken the car to a dealer for diagnosis.,anyone have any ideas? When the car starts running better the mileage plummets to a reasonable 32 MPG or so. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 127k mi. On mine. I also started using excessive oil around 90k. Also got a cylinder 4 misfire that would dissapear fairly quickly. A few weeks later, before I got a chance to swap coils to see if the code would change the car ran really rough and threw off P0300 ( gen. Misfire), 0301, 2 and 4 codes. I installed a set of plugs - the old ones had about 40k on them and didn't look horrible - and the car seemed to run a bit better but still ran rough and didn't change the codes. I swapped coils around. The misfire codes stayed and csme bsck on when I cleared them.The really bizarre thing is when it misfires the MPG reading shoots up instead of plummeting like you'd think it would. I put everything back together and the light didn't come back on. While it was running rough it sort of sounded like a bad rod. I drove with no problems for about 80 miles and then filled up with Speedway regular and put in a bottle of STP fuel treatment. 30 miles later going up a grade the car misfired, continued running rough and threw off a P0301 code. Against my better judgement I've taken the car to a dealer for diagnosis.,anyone have any ideas? When the car starts running better the mileage plummets to a reasonable 32 MPG or so. Thanks in advance.
Btw, i checked the compression when i was swapping coils, had the old type of compression gauge with rubber seal instead of threads and got 148 to 156 in all cylinders. Spec is 156 to 170 something. I might not have had a perfect seal when I did the checks.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Your misfire issue(s) may be overlooked in an oil thread, but a few questions:
  1. Model year 2015?
  2. Mileage 127K
  3. Original owner: Y or N
  4. Engine: 1.6 or 2.0
  5. Synthetic: Y or N
  6. Oil viscosity: 5W20 or 5W30 or ?
  7. PCV replaced? At what mileage?
  8. Top Tier fuel used: Always, mostly, occasionally, seldom, never
  9. How did plugs read?
  10. All 4 read the same?

·
Registered
4 Posts

61 - 80 of 129 Posts