Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
201 - 210 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
..... sad that they take advantage of Americans that is Korea for you
If you say so. Clearly there is no such thing as a 'level playing field', just poor American consumers, always exploited by those evil, cunning Asians.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello all. About 4 months ago, I took my 2015 soul+, has about 88k miles on it at the time, in to dealership for an oil change. About 2k miles later, the oil level was barely showing on the dipstick. I took it back to them and told them. I did not see any where it could be leaking oil from also there was no signs of blueish smoke or any type of smoke coming from the tail pipe. They topped off the oil and told me to come back after driving it for 1k miles. Which I did. The oil level was half way on the dipstick. The service manager informed me that I only lost a half of quart of oil in that 1k miles of driving. I asked him is that right, in other words, if the oil level is hitting the L, it will only take 1 quart of oil to put the oil level up to full. Kia manufacturer specs states losing less than 1 quart of oil is fine. It's normal oil consumption. Something doesn't set right with me. Did anyone else have the same problem as me with the same response from the shop you took it to?
If they put synthetic in it it will keep losing oil since it’s not made for that.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
If they put synthetic in it it will keep losing oil since it’s not made for that.
Please everyone ignore this worst advice. Actually Kia is requiring all dealers to switch to full synthetic and no longer even offer blends. Having tore down a lot of these and other engines the problem is always with the oil control rings being plugged up with crud. Keep your oil changes at the factory recommended 3750 miles just like in your owner's manual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all. About 4 months ago, I took my 2015 soul+, has about 88k miles on it at the time, in to dealership for an oil change. About 2k miles later, the oil level was barely showing on the dipstick. I took it back to them and told them. I did not see any where it could be leaking oil from also there was no signs of blueish smoke or any type of smoke coming from the tail pipe. They topped off the oil and told me to come back after driving it for 1k miles. Which I did. The oil level was half way on the dipstick. The service manager informed me that I only lost a half of quart of oil in that 1k miles of driving. I asked him is that right, in other words, if the oil level is hitting the L, it will only take 1 quart of oil to put the oil level up to full. Kia manufacturer specs states losing less than 1 quart of oil is fine. It's normal oil consumption. Something doesn't set right with me. Did anyone else have the same problem as me with the same response from the shop you took it to?
I put full synthetic oil in my Kia Soul 2015 (60K+ miles) 3,000 miles ago at the last oil/filter change, at the recommendation of the oil changing service technician I dealt with. This past week I started getting an oil lamp flicker when I stopped at traffic lights and stop signs. I took the Kia back to the last oil change service center for their evaluation. They topped off the oil with 3 quarts. And topped off the coolant which was also low. They told me I need to put in a quart of oil for each 1000 miles I drive. How come this was not explained by them at my last oil change? How come my Kia dealer did not bring this to my attention when I purchased the car from them at 17,000 miles a few years ago? This was the first I heard of such a thing.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul +
25 Posts
I put full synthetic oil in my Kia Soul 2015 (60K+ miles) 3,000 miles ago at the last oil/filter change, at the recommendation of the oil changing service technician I dealt with. This past week I started getting an oil lamp flicker when I stopped at traffic lights and stop signs. I took the Kia back to the last oil change service center for their evaluation. They topped off the oil with 3 quarts. And topped off the coolant which was also low. They told me I need to put in a quart of oil for each 1000 miles I drive. How come this was not explained by them at my last oil change? How come my Kia dealer did not bring this to my attention when I purchased the car from them at 17,000 miles a few years ago? This was the first I heard of such a thing.
Do you know if they used 5W20 or 5W30? My oil light started flickering while stopped in drive. I was at the dealership getting a recall done and they didn't provide any help regarding the light. To be fair, my Soul was totaled in an accident and someone repaired it before I bought it. They did a poor repair job and used JB weld on the inside of the engine case. I thought the sensor was faulty because it ran fine but it spun the #4 connecting rod bearing less than 100 miles later. I only discovered the JB weld after removing the oil pan. Get your car checked out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 KIA Soul which had been running great all of a sudden at 58K starting going through oil, 3 quarts in last 4000 miles.
I called my dealer but he could not get me in for almost 2 months, even if it was serious so I had a local repair shop check for leaks, none. I was really surprised, I have never owned a car and at 65 had owned many new ones that had oil consumption problems so early & all of a sudden. I checked online and found this sadly is a common problem with this car, but checking
found it might be a problem with the PCV valve. So I found another dealer that got me in sooner determined to change that
valve as well as asking them to diagnose and fix the problem. The service manager told me KIA will not do anything about
an oil consumption issue but agreed to replace PCV valve, add additives to the fuel and new oil they put in to try and improve
the situation. But then he floored me by letting me know that my engine was part of many with a design flaw and there was
a good chance it would blow before I reached 100K! I was shocked, still am, I bought a KIA SOUL after a lot of looking and
research believing it was a great, reliable car and KIA was a great company, seems I was mislead. However the service manager told me the good news was that when the engine bit the dust, KIA would tow me in and give me a new one free,
even after 100K miles. I felt relieved but I never got any notice about this nor can I find specifics. I did see there is a massive
Class Action settlement of 1.3 billion that covers engine design flaws for 4 million cars of various models with both Hyundai
and KIA vehicles. I don't see KIA Souls listed on that agreement in the models covered. I hope the dealer is right, has anyone else heard the same thing and does anyone know where I can see the specifics of this online. Thanks. My next
car will definitely not be a KIA, sad to say. Incredibly disillusioned.

·
Registered
344 Posts
It took you a few years to figure out that your engine consumes a-lot of oil?
Folks! This is what happens when owners never raise their hoods and check the dipstick level.
OMG!!!

I raise the hood for a check-see every 500 miles or-so. My oil level has never moved and that's because I change the oil with synthetic every 3K, since new. I also use one viscosity number thicker than what reads on the oil cap.

The number on the oil cap is there for best gas mileage (CAFE). Best mileage is not the same as best for the engine.

Reactions: rhysoul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well sounds like i too have been taken by the Kia Soul 2.0 issue. My car had 125km and the engine blow. There was no oil or oil light. Kia Corp said that since i did not keep perfect oil records and since it was out of warranty there was nothing they would do for me. The eastside kia in calgary attempted to fix it twice costing me 1600$ with only a 24 hour success, cause it froze on the side of the road and southside kia attemtped to fix it again with no success. My only options,so i thought was to have the dealer ship replace the engine. FIrst options was something like 10g. did not work for me.. so i thought of buying a new one... after trading in my car and the 20g's i owed , i could have gotten into a new one or 58G's over 9 years. Almost did it, however i came to my scenes and didn't do it. a friend of mine found me an engine that had 120km on it so decided to do that fix. Was pretty excited to get back on the road. it seems to be working well, checked the oil around 3000km and it all seemed find. Checked it again at 5000km and it was down a liter. Filled it and at the 6000km had an oil change. About 2000km after the oil change oil was off the dip stick, freaked out and went back to Mr Lube and said, hay whats up here , is there a leak or something. Had a conversation with one of the managers who told me that THIS was a common problem and I should sell the car and get out of it before i have to replace the engine again. I have been keeping a close eye on it now and it seems ever 2000 to 2500km i need to add a litre of oil.. SO yesterday i went to one of the dealerships i mentions above and point blank as the question to the service manager about these souls.. he point blank told me he had NEVER seen this issue ever. But would look at my car for me and and be sure there is not leak. I have loved the car, but now that i have found that many of you are having the same issue with the 2014 2.0's it looks like we are all screwed. Kia is not standing behind their product and for those of us that still owe money on a car and then need to look at something new cause we got a lemon, that is not fair. What can we do about this. How do we get a claim against Kia? Add anything to this or email me. [email protected]
ditto here. 2017 kia soul, 2.0L., 80K mi. engine blew. since i bought it used, kia would do nothing. found a used engine with 60K. watching it real close now that it has 70K miles. like the soul, my 3rd one, but no more! jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
It occurred to me that the various air resources boards, particularly CA, may be very interested in learning that so many Kia vehicles are using so much oil. All that oil has to be negatively effecting the efficiency of the emission control systems.

201 - 210 of 210 Posts