Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
181 - 200 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Interesting angle as I hadn't thought about the electric vehicle and how it plays into this. You're right, we're moving very quickly towards EV adaptation as some states are making legislation and some car companies stating no more gas engines by certain dates.
Unfortunately for me I would have to move if I buy an electric vehicle! :p
I live in a condo built in the 70's as do a whole lot of Floridians. Don't think a bunch of extension cords running to our vehicles will work. So....while I like the idea of an EV vehicle, in some case adapting will take a lot of effort.

I've been told locally that a charger conversion kit is only a couple thousand bucks. Add that in to the initial cost of an EV and then deduct the savings over the life of a vehicle and it isn't that big of a hurdle. ;)

The Cybertruck and Hummer EV can't get here soon enough...haha.

·
Registered
383 Posts
:unsure: Just wonder how car rental companies will deal with EV vehicles? Maybe, they'll just throw an extra battery or long extension cord in the trunk. :LOL:

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have to add a post here. Seems like this "oil consumption" problem has been going on for a LONG TIME! If ANY new vehicle CONSUMES 1/2 quart of oil per 1000 miles.............THIS IS ABSOLUTELY NOT NORMAL!
My 2020 engine is being replaced at 8k miles. They tried to sell me this line of bullshit too. DO NOT ACCEPT THIS ANSWER!
1/2 quart of OIL BURN per 1000 miles is 50 quarts of oil BURNED INTO atmosphere in 50k miles(think that math is right! This is oil you must ADD to system in between oil changes. As noted...THIS IS NOT a 2 cycle engine!
I am appalled that people accept this.
Contact EPA and let them know Kia thinks its ok to burn that kind of oil.
Yep, They are taking all of us for the last :( ride... if we let them!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,001 Posts
I agree with your premise that manufacturers are beginning to shift away from ICE engines. However, this seems like a "biting off your nose, to spite your face" type scenario.

My biggest contention is not the mechanical issues that are occurring. My issue is that KIA/Hyundai is being flat out deceptive to consumers. Eroding trust with current owners surely won't lead to repeat sales, even when looking to EVs.

I find it amusing that many here choose to defend a company that is so far offside that it is laughable. :ROFLMAO:
I totally agree. Sadly history is riddled with instances of mass marketing companies hoping the passage of time and slick marketing will overshadow defective products & unhappy customers.

There's probably far more people happy with their Kia's than not (I'm one of them, so far), but wondering if your engine is going to develop a major problem is disconcerting. The last 9 years of Souls having a "concern" with piston/oil depletion problems makes you wonder when they're going to get it right. I was really hoping Gen 3 would have been that ticketed item.

Reactions: celronart

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would not have any electric vehicle ( aka appliance) period. People bragging on Toyota, they just put out a recall for over 600k vehicles for defective fuel pumps. Bottom line....if you have a Kia and don't like it, buy another brand, then you can get on their forums and complain.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I totally agree. Sadly history is riddled with instances of mass marketing companies hoping the passage of time and slick marketing will overshadow defective products & unhappy customers.

There's probably far more people happy with their Kia's than not (I'm one of them, so far), but wondering if your engine is going to develop a major problem is disconcerting. The last 9 years of Souls having a "concern" with piston/oil depletion problems makes you wonder when they're going to get it right. I was really hoping Gen 3 would have been that ticketed item.
Yep, the sad thing is they know the resale/trade value for the GDI models has to take a hit. :(
The fact that we have to be so overly concerned and responsible about piston/oil depletion in the 21st century is beyond belief!o_O They really don't give a crap overall.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Seriously you guys need to jump on other manufacturer forums, far more problems with many other brands. There are millions of happy Kia customers and so many people benefiting from them actually owning up and warranting so many issues at mileage that would be laughed at at other makes (I work for a group that owns multiple brand dealerships so I see it first hand and am glad how easy Kia are and how much they cover) As far as the oil consumption, ask Audi owners who shelled out far more than you and are told 1.2 qts per 1000km is normal, that's 1qt every 500 miles or so. If I had a dollar for every Subaru engine that breaks a piston ring or every Chrysler Pentastar that seizes a roller on the lifter, a Honda that needs a set of injectors every 2 years and I can just go on and on and on .....
Most of the people on here don't even have a real problem with their engine or the rest of the car just listening and speculating that they might and are all worried. Of course there's a handful that do out of the millions of cars sold and if you read through the posts so many have had their repairs covered under warranty that no other manufacturer would cover. Just my 2 cents, I'm obviously biased because I work at a Kia dealer but I've worked other places and I prefer where I'm at.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX
44 Posts
Here's the simple answer. We own a Kia, I have no interest in searching a make of car i've never owned or plan too and would have no such inkling to start there.

Anyway.....I came here to discuss a problem that seemed prevalent after I started doing some looking around. I don't need help getting made whole as I will work these mofo's over until they throw their hands up!
I'm going to bounce on up out of here as I can see i'll be banned before weeks end!

Good luck to you timid types who wait around for answers or take bullshit answers from Fanboys!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Seriously you guys need to jump on other manufacturer forums, far more problems with many other brands. There are millions of happy Kia customers and so many people benefiting from them actually owning up and warranting so many issues at mileage that would be laughed at at other makes (I work for a group that owns multiple brand dealerships so I see it first hand and am glad how easy Kia are and how much they cover) As far as the oil consumption, ask Audi owners who shelled out far more than you and are told 1.2 qts per 1000km is normal, that's 1qt every 500 miles or so. If I had a dollar for every Subaru engine that breaks a piston ring or every Chrysler Pentastar that seizes a roller on the lifter, a Honda that needs a set of injectors every 2 years and I can just go on and on and on .....
Most of the people on here don't even have a real problem with their engine or the rest of the car just listening and speculating that they might and are all worried. Of course there's a handful that do out of the millions of cars sold and if you read through the posts so many have had their repairs covered under warranty that no other manufacturer would cover. Just my 2 cents, I'm obviously biased because I work at a Kia dealer but I've worked other places and I prefer where I'm at.
Thanks, bwdz75, for posting this. This is my second Kia. I really like the Kia’s. I dont do my own maintenance any more except for the air filters and wiper blades. Cars have just gotten way too complex electronically. I’ve had all my maintenance done at the dealer where I bought my Kia. They have been good to me. They listen when I have a complaint or problem and have taken care of it. I don’t feel they give me the runaround. Both of the Kia’s I’ve owned have been comfortable to drive, and I fit in them without any problems or discomfort. (I’m 6’7”.)

Reactions: celronart

·
Registered
24 Posts
Except that is untrue. NHTSA fined KIA/Hyundai $137M for their deceptive practice of keeping the issues hidden from consumers...which led to a greater than $750M recall campaign/class action suit for the Theta engines.

Every owner has an issue....and that is the depreciated value of the GDI vehicles is less than it should be due to the known issue. This was a massive part of the Theta class action suit.

Your knowledge is invaluable to this forum and greatly appreciated, but to try to deflect these issues onto other manufacturers or brands is flat out laughable.

·
Registered
2014 SOUL " ! " Owned since New
2,058 Posts
Remember Kia has a Bearing Problem, and if the Rod Bearings are wearing early because Quality Control Engine production Problems, with some engines Produced, makes it a crap shoot buying a KIA...OR... Substandard engine designs...
Note: Oil for the Cylinder Walls comes from oil thrown up on them from the Rods. The oil may be From premature Rod bearing wear, throwing to much oil on the cylinder walls overwhelming the oil retention rings. These are low drag, low tension high efficiency ring set (Less drag, better corporate Gas Mileage rating) can be overwhelmed with to much cylinder wall from over oiling...
Note: My car was just in couple back for a mandatory "Recall" checking for this problem. Mine checked OK, and they reprogram a censor to listen for rod knock problems. Giving a warning on the dash if detects a engine problem, ordering Me drive slowly to the Nearest Dealer Immediately (no side trips)...!!! Mine stays full from oil, to oil change, I guess I was one of the Lucky one's that got a engine that wasn't built on "Monday Morning" at the Engine Factory...

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Except that is untrue. NHTSA fined KIA/Hyundai $137M for their deceptive practice of keeping the issues hidden from consumers...which led to a greater than $750M recall campaign/class action suit for the Theta engines.

Every owner has an issue....and that is the depreciated value of the GDI vehicles is less than it should be due to the known issue. This was a massive part of the Theta class action suit.

Your knowledge is invaluable to this forum and greatly appreciated, but to try to deflect these issues onto other manufacturers or brands is flat out laughable.
That is very true if this was an Optima, Sorento or Sportage forum that used those engines. We still replace quite a few of them under the recall. As those cars are quite old and most have 150k to over 200k on them the owners are actually very happy to get new engines. Kia like all other manufacturers is far from perfect but my last job was at a nationwide used car dealer inspection center (its one of those that has over 150 dealers nationwide) and I can tell you that Kia was the least of our problems hence why I was interested in working at a Kia dealership. I can tell you a million stories of problems on other brands and the other manufacturers reluctance to honor warranty (as short as they were anyway at other brands) or acknowledge a known problem with their design or component. So yeah, you guys have every right to be disappointed or unsatisfied with any issue but trust me when I tell you that you did well purchasing a Kia against other brands from a reliability standpoint as well as warranty and beyond warranty coverage.

·
Registered
383 Posts
bwdz75, Too bad you are getting some flack ;) However, you're doing very well giving useful information and opinions.
Hopefully, you can and will continue to post.(y)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
bwdz75, Too bad you are getting some flack ;) However, you're doing very well giving useful information and opinions.
Hopefully, you can and will continue to post.(y)
I don't mind, I would normally not respond but I'm like everyone else and my opinion is merely my opinion just like everyone else is entitled to their opinion. I back up my opinion with my own experiences but everyone has different experiences and expectations and they are 100% entitled to them. It's just a conversation and sharing of thoughts and ideas, if I'm wrong on that then I would decline to participate. There's a post on the Gen3 forums about the MPI 2.0 needing to be replaced and I stated that I had yet to see one fail out of the 1k I worked on but I updated that when I got one that failed just to be transparent. I participate on here because I see probably a minimum of 20 Souls per week (and another 20 Fortes, Optima etc..)for service and repairs so I'm likely more familiar with them and Kia cars than 99.9% of people on here so I can offer some insight or help. I also own a 2016 Soul and the final reason is that sometimes I find out about an issue on here that I haven't run into yet but if I read about it first I can usually have a quicker answer for my customers when I run into it so I enjoy the forums and use the info at work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all. About 4 months ago, I took my 2015 soul+, has about 88k miles on it at the time, in to dealership for an oil change. About 2k miles later, the oil level was barely showing on the dipstick. I took it back to them and told them. I did not see any where it could be leaking oil from also there was no signs of blueish smoke or any type of smoke coming from the tail pipe. They topped off the oil and told me to come back after driving it for 1k miles. Which I did. The oil level was half way on the dipstick. The service manager informed me that I only lost a half of quart of oil in that 1k miles of driving. I asked him is that right, in other words, if the oil level is hitting the L, it will only take 1 quart of oil to put the oil level up to full. Kia manufacturer specs states losing less than 1 quart of oil is fine. It's normal oil consumption. Something doesn't set right with me. Did anyone else have the same problem as me with the same response from the shop you took it to?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am currently having the same exact issue with my 2014 Kia Soul. I'm going through oil like crazy! No leaks and nothing from the exhaust. I just had the catalytic converter replaced but the oil situation was happening before that!!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,001 Posts
I am currently having the same exact issue with my 2014 Kia Soul. I'm going through oil like crazy! No leaks and nothing from the exhaust. I just had the catalytic converter replaced but the oil situation was happening before that!!
Not enough information from your Tweet.

Provide oil & filter type used, oil change intervals. PCV replaced? Warranty? Mileage? Maintenance history?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello all. About 4 months ago, I took my 2015 soul+, has about 88k miles on it at the time, in to dealership for an oil change. About 2k miles later, the oil level was barely showing on the dipstick. I took it back to them and told them. I did not see any where it could be leaking oil from also there was no signs of blueish smoke or any type of smoke coming from the tail pipe. They topped off the oil and told me to come back after driving it for 1k miles. Which I did. The oil level was half way on the dipstick. The service manager informed me that I only lost a half of quart of oil in that 1k miles of driving. I asked him is that right, in other words, if the oil level is hitting the L, it will only take 1 quart of oil to put the oil level up to full. Kia manufacturer specs states losing less than 1 quart of oil is fine. It's normal oil consumption. Something doesn't set right with me. Did anyone else have the same problem as me with the same response from the shop you took it to?
I have a 2017 and doing the same thing Kia said they are not covering it and I have a lot of records 33 Qts in 18, 000 miles that is oil changes also so about 540 miles it is useing a Qt can we take them to court I guess not I am the second owner I I was covered till 60,000 miles it it all started to happen at 65,000 miles, sad that they take advantage of Americans that is Korea for you

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I have a 2017 and doing the same thing Kia said they are not covering it and I have a lot of records 33 Qts in 18, 000 miles that is oil changes also so about 540 miles it is useing a Qt can we take them to court I guess not I am the second owner I I was covered till 60,000 miles it it all started to happen at 65,000 miles, sad that they take advantage of Americans that is Korea for you
Kia does cover it. If you took it to the dealership and they ran a consumption test they do cover it unless you bought car used and previous owner didn't maintain it and they saw sludge through the oil cap.

181 - 200 of 210 Posts