Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. About 4 months ago, I took my 2015 soul+, has about 88k miles on it at the time, in to dealership for an oil change. About 2k miles later, the oil level was barely showing on the dipstick. I took it back to them and told them. I did not see any where it could be leaking oil from also there was no signs of blueish smoke or any type of smoke coming from the tail pipe. They topped off the oil and told me to come back after driving it for 1k miles. Which I did. The oil level was half way on the dipstick. The service manager informed me that I only lost a half of quart of oil in that 1k miles of driving. I asked him is that right, in other words, if the oil level is hitting the L, it will only take 1 quart of oil to put the oil level up to full. Kia manufacturer specs states losing less than 1 quart of oil is fine. It's normal oil consumption. Something doesn't set right with me. Did anyone else have the same problem as me with the same response from the shop you took it to?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Went through that garbage with my Spark, seems like your dealer doesn't want to even attempt to make things right.

I would replace the PCV system and also start using something like Lucas fuel treatment and lube every tank for a few tanks.

Problems could be:

PCV letting oil through because it is bad

Piston rings stuck in their grooves letting extra blow by past (increases pressure) or letting oil into combustion chamber

You might be able to tell if the rings are bad with a compression and leak down test, rings should be covered by 10/100,000 mile warranty! Might require going to a good independent shop to diagnose and then pressuring Kia to make it right.

Assuming the oil is coming in through the PCV, it's going to junk up your intake valves and eventually they will stop sealing and need to be cleaned (assuming a GDI engine).

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Your oil consumption loosely translates into about 1 pint every 1k miles.
Not a lot but perhaps more than acceptable in most owners eyes.
Our 2012 with 70k goes thru just under a qt of mobil 1 between its 7k oil changes for comparison.
I have yet to change the pcv valve but that is coming soon and a good place to start as it's cheap and easy to get to.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
There has been an issue with some engines running out of oil and freezing up in the Kia lineup. I'd keep a close eye on this problem. There may be some recall action, depending on the the outcome of the Hyundai/Kia testimony to Congress, which was recently delayed (and not rescheduled at this point).

If you don't get satisfactory service from you dealer, be sure to go online to safercar.gov and leave a complaint with NTHSA. The more people complain, the better chance of results.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I consider that barely normal. More interesting would be if it drops that much again in about 4 to 5 thousand total miles. I do not consider a quart low to be normal though maybe not an indication of something terribly wrong in 4 to 5 thousand miles in today's car. None of my cars would need more than a top off if I wasn't changing the oil after 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
have you noticed a clacking type of sound coming from the engine block? not the usual GDI noises but more of a clack? as geosoul mentioned there is an ongoing issue with hyundai engine blocks which would include your year though most of the silent recalls are on other models. i had my forte's engine replaced out of warranty at no cost under this plan. it was a pain to follow through, as kia (canada) are not openly admitting they have a problem, but it was worth it. just worried about my soul's motor now :-(

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2014 Kia Soul Exclaim that is loosing oil. No leaks or smoking. I am currently going through the consumption tests with the dealer every 1000 miles. Below is where I am at with that and do not think this should be happening.

Mileage Down (quart)
1000= .4
1000= .8
1000= 1/2
1000= 1/2
1000=

So, if I am down another 1/2 on the last test that would be 2.25 quarts out of 4.83 or .47% of the oil gone between oil changes. has to be something wrong.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have a 2014 Kia Soul Exclaim that is loosing oil. No leaks or smoking. I am currently going through the consumption tests with the dealer every 1000 miles. Below is where I am at with that and do not think this should be happening.

Mileage Down (quart)
1000= .4
1000= .8
1000= 1/2
1000= 1/2
1000=

So, if I am down another 1/2 on the last test that would be 2.25 quarts out of 4.83 or .47% of the oil gone between oil changes. has to be something wrong.
Geez...

Is this test at your request or did your dealer initiate that?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Dealers initiate the test if you want them to try and fix it. With that "little" consumption, they won't be able to do anything because KIA will say it is normal and that the emissions systems can handle that much oil. I still think it's complete garbage and they should be doing warranty fixes. The emissions system is only warrantied for 80,000 miles in the USA, how much are the catalyst, and both o2 sensors? I'm guessing not cheap when they all fail at 81,000 miles. This was the reason I traded my Spark in early, chevy and the dealers were doing nothing but jerking me around until my warranty expired, lost a bunch of money on that trade in.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
I've been such a fan of this GDI engine, but I have to say with these reports of engines running out of oil once they reach the 60,000ish mile mark, freezing up, it makes me wonder if it's just a matter of time before mine develops this problem.

Add to that Soul engine fires, including that poor guy who burned to death in his moms 2014, while parked because he couldn't get the door open.

Not a big confidence builder, Kia, in our investment.

Finally the GDI carbon buildup issue (which can lead to excessive oil consumption) has been dealt with complete silence from Kia. Now they've abandoned the engine in Gen 3 in favor of multi-port, as seems to now be an industry trend.

My fan-boy status has now changed to concerned-boy. I hate that.

I hope this doesn't wind up being the epithet for Gen 2 Souls.

Dang.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i think they'll still have the turbo GDI in the next generation but yeah, my kia fandom has definitely diminished since my forte engine was replaced with great duress and that wasn't even a GDI. it's concerning that they seem to be offering seemingly wonderful warranties up to when the majority of these issues begin appearing (60k miles in the US, 100k kilometers in CAN). my forte5 engine was replaced at 92k km :-(
these cars should last double that amount with proper maintenance. for example, toyota doesn't have nearly the same warranty mileage but apparently they don't need it.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Well...the BEST warranty is one you'll never have to use!
Really no telling if/when/why/what/where a failure can occur!
That warranty is peace (piece) of mind fer-sure!
Better to have it and not need it the to need it and not have it, I always say!
All that being said...If dealers and corporate try to squirm out of coverage every time a failure occurs then the warranty and the product are fer $hit, fer-sure!

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
I've been reading about Subaru GDI owners mirroring these same issues when they get up I'm mileage.

Their power train warranty is half of Kias.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well sounds like i too have been taken by the Kia Soul 2.0 issue. My car had 125km and the engine blow. There was no oil or oil light. Kia Corp said that since i did not keep perfect oil records and since it was out of warranty there was nothing they would do for me. The eastside kia in calgary attempted to fix it twice costing me 1600$ with only a 24 hour success, cause it froze on the side of the road and southside kia attemtped to fix it again with no success. My only options,so i thought was to have the dealer ship replace the engine. FIrst options was something like 10g. did not work for me.. so i thought of buying a new one... after trading in my car and the 20g's i owed , i could have gotten into a new one or 58G's over 9 years. Almost did it, however i came to my scenes and didn't do it. a friend of mine found me an engine that had 120km on it so decided to do that fix. Was pretty excited to get back on the road. it seems to be working well, checked the oil around 3000km and it all seemed find. Checked it again at 5000km and it was down a liter. Filled it and at the 6000km had an oil change. About 2000km after the oil change oil was off the dip stick, freaked out and went back to Mr Lube and said, hay whats up here , is there a leak or something. Had a conversation with one of the managers who told me that THIS was a common problem and I should sell the car and get out of it before i have to replace the engine again. I have been keeping a close eye on it now and it seems ever 2000 to 2500km i need to add a litre of oil.. SO yesterday i went to one of the dealerships i mentions above and point blank as the question to the service manager about these souls.. he point blank told me he had NEVER seen this issue ever. But would look at my car for me and and be sure there is not leak. I have loved the car, but now that i have found that many of you are having the same issue with the 2014 2.0's it looks like we are all screwed. Kia is not standing behind their product and for those of us that still owe money on a car and then need to look at something new cause we got a lemon, that is not fair. What can we do about this. How do we get a claim against Kia? Add anything to this or email me. [email protected]

·
Super Moderator
9,508 Posts
There may be quite a number of folks on here having this oil problem but that is not a valid or scientific method of data collection or sampling. There are only a few of the thirty thousand people that have logged onto this forum at one time or another and complaining about the oil loss. I agree with your conclusion though. Not sure of the procedure in Canada but if you can file a complaint with Kia Canada and if the government has an agency that takes complaints, that may be another avenue. Not sure either of those will bring results but I do know here in the USA in just might. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I really think it makes sense on these GDI engines to use a decent combustion chamber cleaner every 20K miles or so. Carbon on the rings can cause excess oil consumption.

The cleaner also helps clean the intake valves some. You don't get the fuel wash effect with GDI engines, so nothing you put in the gas will clean the intake valves. The spray helps a bit because it goes through the air intake.

The exact instructions for combustion system cleaners vary, but all of them basically involve spraying the stuff in the throttle body (or anywhere in the intake system downstream of the MAF sensor) while the engine is running at the specified RPM (it will be on the label), shutting down the engine, letting it sit for a while, and then driving the car like you stole it until the exhaust clears up.

It's easier to do in the boondocks than in the city, of course.

Richard

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
According to a recent Scotty Kilmer video (I know, I know), a newly developed oil, specifically for GDI engines will hit the market next year.

Simply put, current oil products are not good enough. The extreme pressure of GDI fuel delivery can push gas past the piston rings. This new oil product is supposed to solve the problem.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I will continue to preach to check and clean or replace PCV when oil consumption is an issue.
It may not solve all issues but it is cheap and easy.
See link in my signature.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I sold my 9 month old 2019 base Soul at 8,100 miles, not due to reliability concerns, but the Nissan Frontier was parked in the garage so long I put a battery charger on it every couple weeks, except for ~ monthly trips to our AZ ranch...and the Soul does not have ground clearance for Jeep trails, nor capability of 20+ inch river crossings.

Wish the 4WD Frontier got the fuel economy of the Soul!
The 1.6 L naturally aspirated Soul would not win any acceleration competitions, but it would pull 70 MPH in 5th gear climbing from ~ 3,000 feet elevation to 8,400 feet in < 18 miles.

Had I continued with my maintenance routine, I would expect 100,000+ trouble free miles.
First oil change at 3K miles
Next at 7K miles...expecting to continue at 4,000 mile intervals
10W-30 pure synthetic

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 2015 Kia Soul+. The dealer didn't even log the first time I took it in, when the engine was knocking so loud that it sounded like a diesel engine, because the oil didn't even register on the dipstick. They just topped it off and sent me on my way. But since then, for the last several months, I have taken my car in every few weeks so they could log the consumption. In 4,500ish miles, it's used well over 2 quarts, and the service manager is trying to convince me that that is normal. On a couple of the logs, it was calculated at 1 quart per 1,000 miles with the rate that it was using. They keep saying that they need to keep logging to establish a pattern. It seems to me that we have a pattern. Today the service manager straight up yelled at me because I called him on his bull crap. I've owned a lot of cars in my time, and they have never used oil like this until over 200,000 miles. I have 85,000. So I'm gonna open a ticket directly with Kia to see if I can get anything done.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts