Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 + Alien Green II
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Embarrassing event - was in line at drive through getting prescription. Decided to turn off Zippy to save the planet. After the third time, yup you guessed it. Click buzz nothing. Fortunately I carry a little battery jump starter (I'll never be without one) and was up to the window with only having to wave one car around. Back home I decided to check the terminals. The negative was slightly corroded so cleaned it and reattached. No issues.

However I don't see a way to tighten the positive terminal. None of the 3 nuts seem to do anything to tighten the clamp. Yes, It does have a little wiggle when I try to move it.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
The nut/carriage bolt that runs through the connector is the way to tighten it - HOWEVER, they are virtually as tight as they will go from the factory so you don't have a lot of options on that end. What most people on here have done that have had the same problem is add a shim around the terminal so that the battery terminal itself is larger, which lets you loosen that carriage bolt, slip it on, and tighten it back without risk of stripping the bolt.

This issue is pretty common if you've replaced the battery. I've replaced both batteries in both my Souls and had the same issue on both vehicles - the terminal needs to be bigger on the replacement batteries, but isn't.

·
Registered
2014 + Alien Green II
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I was thinking along those lines too. Any thoughts on what to use for the shim? Copper foil? Lead tape? Custom piece milled from a pure platinum billet on my $100K CNC machine? 😁

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I used a small piece of 1/2" copper pipe that I beat flat on the anvil of my bench vise just for its conductivity, but really you could use just about anything so long as you look at it once in a while and beat off any corrosion - a washer or two slipped between the connection, even a strip of aluminum foil would work. Once on the road with a different vehicle, far from my shop toolbox, I used a small screw.

·
Registered
2014 + Alien Green II
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used a small piece of 1/2" copper pipe that I beat flat on the anvil of my bench vise just for its conductivity, but really you could use just about anything so long as you look at it once in a while and beat off any corrosion - a washer or two slipped between the connection, even a strip of aluminum foil would work. Once on the road with a different vehicle, far from my shop toolbox, I used a small screw.
A recently emptied beer can? Maybe it needs multi-layers so numerous empty beer cans???

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I hate those shims and couldn't count how many times they cause problems, just theew one yesterday as the Soul I was working on had an intermittent starting issue and when I got it to just click and not start I had nearly 7volts drop across the terminal spacer. Here's the free fix, take a pair of channel locks and squeeze the terminal a little while it's off the battery, squeeze from the sides opposite of where it will draw itself to tighten. Just a little squeeze and then slip it back on battery and tighten it up and see if you need a second little squeeze.

·
Registered
2014 + Alien Green II
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I pulled the + terminal cable off, cleaned the post with my ancient wire brush battery post tool, and didn't see a way to compress the cable end as it is tightly housed in a plastic holder - and me any plastic are not friends. However, I noticed that there was a lip molded into the bottom of the metal clamp. I used a screw drive to hinge this out a fraction. Reconnected and no movement after tightening.

Thanks for the help. (y)

·
Registered
407 Posts
;) The Walmart Maxx 124 fit likes a glove. The terminals are fine. (use dielectric grease on posts)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts