Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone priced out oil lately? $4 a quart for the el cheapo stuff, almost $6 for decent oil. Toss a filter into the mix and you're up to about $25 with taxes. With coupons an oil change at my Kia dealer is about $25, without coupons about $32 or so. I like changing my own oil, but it's just not worth it anymore from a financial point of view.

I suppose it will make my wife happy, as she's never really got on board with the several gallons of used oil in jugs that I've always got lying around the storage room waiting to go to the recyclers.

For those of you that are still changing your own oil, where are you sourcing your materials? Can you gather up materials for less than 20 bucks?

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
never changed oil myself in over 50 years of car ownership, always preferred someone else to do it. Currently I get all my oil changes at no charge with my local dealer.

Like you mentioned, it also saves all the hassle of having to get rid of the used oil as only certain places take it, even more inconvenient when you live out in the country like I do.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,415 Posts
JD, I know what you mean, oil has gotten ridiculously expensive. I had a friend ask for synthetic oil as a Christmas gift. Man, I thought that was a break for me, easy gift. I'm thinking I'll get them 12 qts. Um, $150 was a shocker.

My dealer does $24.95 oil/filter changes. There is no way to do it cheaper, especially if your labor is worth anything. Not to mention it's an easy way too keep your warranty in tact.

I am joining you in retiring from changing oil. Happy trails!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Very un Connecticut like, prices for oil changes from many dealers have been reasonable for quite sometime now. At times less than where I also live in Florida.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
There are some things that continue to give satisfaction and changing ones own oil is 1 of them.
I got my filters for free and I buy mobil1 synthetic on sale for about 18.00 for a 5qt jug (after seasonal rebates)
The pure satisfaction of knowing it was done right and at my convenience outweighs the dirty hand and the 20 mins time taken.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I do sorta miss the days of changing oil on a Wrangler. So easy and it was much cheaper back then for synthetic.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^^ How did you get filters for free? That might influence me. I agree with the satisfaction part, but as someone who has built an automobile from scratch there's nothing left mechanically for me to prove working on vehicles. I always did my own oil because it made financial sense, and I like knowing its done right with oil of my choosing, but I doubt my dealer is going to screw up an oil change. And I have to admit it was nice sitting outside at the dealership strumming my guitar while someone else got dirty on my last oil change ($19.95 from the dealer).

·
Registered
750 Posts
I still change my own oil. I still like the peace of mind I get from knowing I used the correct oil, and tightened the plug, and used a halfway decent filter. I also get to see the underside of the car and usually take the opportunity (Hey, I'm laying down under the car anyway, right?) to check condition of driveshaft boots, pans, and other low hanging bits. Sometimes I'll crawl under the back and look there, while I'm in my coveralls. I don't recall the exact cost without the receipt in front of me, but the Motorcraft semi-synthetic I get at Wally World is around $20 (5qt jug), and the Purolator filter is $5 more. I'm lucky and have a used oil guy at my workplace that takes any oil I have, for free. I just pour the old motor oil back in the jug and take it to work and pour it in the 55 gallon drum awaiting the next recycling pickup. I realize this would be a pain for most folks, but I do it along with my normal routine, so it doesn't seem like any additional work at all.
Those Dealers and Lube places really don't make any profit on their oil changes. They just keep the employees busy and get the chance to sell you some other maintenance or add-on. As long as you don't fall for some scam and pay for something you don't need, they really are a better deal than doing it yourself. I just like the comfort of knowing...

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Jd said: "but I doubt my dealer is going to screw up an oil change"

With stripped drain plugs, missing crush washers, loose oil filters and too much/too little oil...there is plenty of room for error!
I too have done most everything from ground up!
This is why the simple stuff continues to satisfy me, I guess.
You can even do an oil change without the use of ramps or jacking and that makes it that much quicker.
In 23 years, I have NEVER had a dealership change my oil unless the car was already there for some warranty repair.
I don't even know how long it would take them or what they charge these days.
With no Kia service dept nearby, I think it still best suits My needs to do it myself and continue receiving that warm & fuzzy feeling when it's done.

(Many years ago I drove a chevy impala. Old school 350 carbed motor. A beast by todays standards. I had it for 6 years and always worked on it myself. When the rear end went bad, in the middle of winter, I had my local mechanic change out the rear AND do an oil change while they had it on the lift and what do you think happened? Anyone...Anyone...Buelller...Anyone?
Yes...a stripped drain plug! Their answer was "it's an old car" and mine was that I've been changing the oil for 6 years and it wasn't stripped then! Ahhh...the pure satisfaction of doing it yourself!)

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
^^^^ The only place I can get free oil filters is with a five finger discount :)

On the 2014 (15) Souls we also have to deal with the under side engine shield. Short of taking the whole thing off, it can get messy draining the oil through the access point. I agree though, I always have changed my own oil since I was kid. It gets done right & I don't like making appointments for anything, or waiting either. That's just freaky me!

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
Hey Srad, I agree wholeheartedly with you, it p*sses me off when mechanics reef down on drain plugs and oil filters. There is no need for that. I've had to get a pipe out to get enough torque at times to take a drain plug out. Ridiculous!

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Oil changes and brake pads are about the only things I've had to do over the years.
My Hyundais were so darned reliable that there was little else to be done!
Ran the wifes elantra over 100k before doing the t-belt, front pads at 75k, rear shoes at 120k but oil changes every 5k. (mobil1)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, truth be known, I will probably still end up doing this job myself sometimes, because taking my wife's car to the dealer is a bigger hassle than doing it myself; plus, I have 5 filters sitting on the shelf that need to be used. And us old mechanic types are usually that way because we like knowing it was done right. What I will have to wean myself of is the idea that I'm saving money, because I'm not.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I used to do the dealership's quick lube service, but the jerks were using some crappy off brand oil filter that was about half the size of the OEM one, even after I asked if they used the OEM ones and they said yes.

http://www.kiasoulforums.com/2-soul...er-ship-quicklube-oil-filter-shenanigans.html

I am not some lunatic that believes in snake oil products and uses some off the wall super neato oil and filters, but sheesh, at least use the same oil filter that the car manufacturer does, especially if you are a dealership.

Anyways, I can get a 5qt bottle of Mobil 1 full synthetic at Walmart for ~$25. The price fluctuates up or down a couple of bucks it seems. There probably isn't a much better oil than that so it seems a good value and my car starts up quieter in the valve train. The Pennzoil and Quaker State oil is ~$15 for a 5qt bottle at Walmart and that is certainly good enough.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Without getting into the whole oil/oil filter debate, I can say this about that...
I have used purolator oil filters and their sister filter (poweflo) since my 1st new Hyundai in 1991 with Never a problem!
Hyundai had the same TSB long before the soul was around.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Well, truth be known, I will probably still end up doing this job myself sometimes, because taking my wife's car to the dealer is a bigger hassle than doing it myself; plus, I have 5 filters sitting on the shelf that need to be used. And us old mechanic types are usually that way because we like knowing it was done right. What I will have to wean myself of is the idea that I'm saving money, because I'm not.

And it only took 16 posts for the "truth to be known"...

·
Registered
4,435 Posts

If it helps you out any, you can send me those 5 filters then the pressure of doing it yourself will be alleviated!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts