Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking to lower my 2016 soul base model. Ideally I would like it pretty low. (Around 1.5 inches). The only setup I’ve seen anyone on here use (that I can also find available to order) are the Storm lowering springs. These just don’t have the drop I’m looking for.
I did come across these... AST Suspension® - 1.2" x 1.2" Front and Rear Lowering Coil Springs
However even though on the heading it says it fits a 2016, on the description it says it fits all AM type. Which, I don’t know what that means but Wikipedia says that the 1st gen models are called AM type. So I’m confused. I called Carid.com and they were unable to answer my questions they just said they could offer me a 30 day return guarantee in case they didn’t fit. Does anyone know anything about these?
Also I definitely would love to find some affordable and trusted coil overs. I haven’t seen anyone on here with a 2nd gen on coil overs. Some of the ones I have come across have no reviews so I don’t feel great about spending that kind of money on something I know nothing about. Can someone please help me and just point me in the right direction? 🙏🏼

·
Premium Member
Co. 6900ft 2018 and 2012 Soul+
384 Posts
HI ! I can tell by the total lack of responses that no one here has experimented in a way to give you any help.

If you learn more, let us know !

H

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
My experience with changing vehicle height is with raising it, such as making longer shackles for leaf springs or cranking up torsion bars, adding coil over shocks, stronger shocks, such as KYB gas adjust, etc.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have considered these but I am looking for a more significant drop than these. I’ve seen these on eBay they go .8 and 1.2 inches lower than factory. I like a real ‘slammed’ look. I’m trying to go at least 1.5” all around. It is my daily driver to work and back (like a 2 mile ride) but I do have another family car that I drive more regularly so I’m not really worried about bottoming out to much like on unexpected roads. I just like the look and really have always been into this type of car scene, I know a lot of people might think it’s dumb. I would go with air ride if it wasn’t so expensive.Trying to stay at around a $1000 price tag so my wife doesn’t kill me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you know exactly how much you want to go down, you could modify your stock springs. Put them in a press, press down the measurement you want to remove from the height, heat the spring red hot with a torch, let cool completely in the down position.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX manual
67 Posts
If you know exactly how much you want to go down, you could modify your stock springs. Put them in a press, press down the measurement you want to remove from the height, heat the spring red hot with a torch, let cool completely in the down position.
I would recommend NOT annealing your springs this way.

With all due respect, DBM, that is heinously bad advice - even MY kid never did that.... :)

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea I definitely wanna do it the right way. I did that to a car I had when I was 17. A year later my suspension was completely done. And since day 1 it was a very uncomfortable ride.

·
Registered
2016 Soul 1.6 MT
17 Posts

SF Racing makes coilovers, which is probably the most cost effective way of lowering a car the way you want it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts