Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. My wife has a 2012 Kia Soul+ 2.0 that we bought as Certified Pre-Owned in 2014 with 20k miles on it. It has 100k on it now and is going to go to our 16 year old girl in the spring. The car has been nothing short of great and I've only had to change 1 sensor, brakes and tires. I do run separate winter and summer wheels/tires/TPMS.

So that means we are looking to replace it with a new Soul. I wanted to see what everyone thinks about the current models and engine combo's. When I bought the '12, I knew to stay away from the 1.6 and get the 2.0 and that was a great decision. What is the best engine to go with now? I'm open to any of the options available including the turbo if that one is the best. I've been doing some reading, but not finding a whole lot of sold info and wanted to look for real world experience.

This is basically a back and forth to work vehicle. She drives 40 miles each way to work with about 25 of them being on the interstate.

Thanks

jshillin

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well, I have 2020 EX Eco. I picked it up last March a week before things shut down and only have 4000 miles on it. I really like it. I’ve had zero problems with the IVT. It has plenty of get up and go and handles well. I find it quite comfortable and the ride is fine.I’m getting about 32 mph with local driving And get about 36 in the summer with the A/C running.

Reactions: Lohwriter

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX manual
63 Posts
I have the base LX manual, 2.0 with a 6-speed. Averaging 34 mpg at present but have had a couple of tanks in the 36's. Love the thing - my only want is to be able to use the phone completely hands-free for calling out, but that's a small price to pay for the 6-speed. :)

And Yes, I know Android Auto is supposed to let you do that, but I hate it with a passion. :D

·
Registered
613 Posts
We had a 2013 Soul Base 1.6 Automatic (bought new). After 6-1/2 years and 95K trouble-free miles, we traded it last year for a 2020 Soul LX (base) with IVT. The new Soul is quieter, more solid-feeling, smoother riding, and has more comfortable seats. The 2.0 provides more than enough power for us, even here in the mountains of West Virginia. The IVT has been flawless so far, and I personally think it's very smooth and seems to always be in the right "gear". Because of COVID-19, and since we have 2 cars, we only have about 5,500 miles on it, but we have averaged 32 MPG in mixed city/highway. On one trip to Wisconsin, we averaged 42MPG on one tank on 2-lane backroads at 60 MPH.

We bought this model because it did not have all of the safety nannies like lane assist, blind-spot warning, and auto braking. I know how to use my mirrors, and I don't need a computer steering or stopping my car. I also don't want to listen to the endless cacophony of "dings and bells" going off as I drive. All models except the base have most of these nannies standard. We also have a 2019 Subaru Forester (and it has some of the nannies), and I much prefer driving the Soul.

The 2.0 reverted back to multi-port fuel injection (MPFI). Even though our '13 still ran like new at 95K miles, there were concerns about carbon build up with GDI (gasoline direct injection). No worries now. The 1.6 Turbo still uses GDI as well as the Dual-Clutch transmission, which has mixed reviews for smoothness and reliability. Either way, you still get the 10/100K powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Wanting a new Soul and deciding on engine?
2.0 MPI
I have never regretted my decision.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
The 2.0 L is not only the ONLY engine for any 2020 non turbo Soul, but it's also a totally NEW engine, from what you had before. I consider mine, next to something I might find on the track at Daytona. It truly qualifies as "High Performance".
It puts the 1.6L engine in my 2013 Soul to shame, and I thought that was a pretty spunky little engine. And it was!

Shhh! Don't tell anybody, but I had my 2020 up to 120 mph a couple of weeks ago. I didn't run out of engine, , , I ran out of road. At the end of that road, I had to take a right turn....which my little Jem handled beautifully at 75 mph. A Corvette couldn't have done better.
My little Jem is coming up on 18k miles and my 6th Oil Change, which will be done, at no out-of-pocket cost to me, at my KIA Dealership. They will also preform a 12 point, bumper to bumper inspection and rotate the tires, and wash the car.
My dealer sent me a letter saying he wanted to buy back my car, and I called him to tell him "NO Freakin' Way!"

Just another Happy Soul Owner!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX manual
63 Posts
< Snip! >

My dealer sent me a letter saying he wanted to buy back my car, and I called him to tell him "NO Freakin' Way!"
One of the many reasons I bought a Soul was for the letters saying "We want your Soul"...

My wife is always getting ones that say they want her Elantra. :D

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,634 Posts
You have two choices for your new car, the 2.0 and the 1.6 turbo. It all depends on how much zoom you desire, the accessory toys you want, and what you'd like to spend. IMO the 2.0 should be plenty adequate for all tasks unless you're going to run Woodward Avenue.

I have a '17 1.6 and I had a '15 2.0 before that. Except for 1% situations these both have plenty of power. Plenty of juice for merging unless you have extremely short merge lanes, insane fast traffic to merge into, or (most likely) idiot drivers in front of you who don't know how to merge and sandbag it until they lose their lane and HAVE to nail the go pedal. Just plan ahead.

Good luck with your new wheels. And hopefully your daughter will enjoy her new-to-her Soul.

Reactions: pnoman

·
Registered
398 Posts
My wife wanted the Soul. Everyone else with Sense in my house wanted a Mazda. We test drove both, no question I liked Mazda. On a positive note, out 2020 GT seems to have stopped burning oil

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
124 Posts
The 2.0 L is not only the ONLY engine for any 2020 non turbo Soul, but it's also a totally NEW engine, from what you had before. I consider mine, next to something I might find on the track at Daytona. It truly qualifies as "High Performance".
It puts the 1.6L engine in my 2013 Soul to shame, and I thought that was a pretty spunky little engine. And it was!

Shhh! Don't tell anybody, but I had my 2020 up to 120 mph a couple of weeks ago. I didn't run out of engine, , , I ran out of road. At the end of that road, I had to take a right turn....which my little Jem handled beautifully at 75 mph. A Corvette couldn't have done better.
My little Jem is coming up on 18k miles and my 6th Oil Change, which will be done, at no out-of-pocket cost to me, at my KIA Dealership. They will also preform a 12 point, bumper to bumper inspection and rotate the tires, and wash the car.

Just another Happy Soul Owner!
FLH :cool:
HOT ROD HAMSTER

·
Registered
597 Posts
If the slight hiccup of the 1-2 transmission shift of the Dual-Clutch was the only problem I had, I'd say go for the turbo. Mine started slipping on my 2018 around 45K miles. Damn shame too, as that little turbo was relatively quick.

Even though I've been out of my last Soul (2020 EX designer package) I still notice them on the road. The options I had on my 2020 was a pretty good sweet spot IMO for Souls. One thing I noticed on a lot of the Kias I'm seeing on the road, many of them do not have the LED daylight accent lights around the headlights. I thought it was a nice little feature now that I don't see it on just any new Kia Soul. Interestingly enough, the 2021 EX's do not come in Neptune Blue anymore.

Oh and I'll also add that the upgraded navigation system is awesome, probably the first thing people noticed when they got in my car.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul LX
23 Posts
Coming up to 10k miles, @35-40mpg, @ 75% interstate at the speed limit. Only concern at this point is the IVT. Only complaints are the headlight adjustment and that silly engine off feature. One thing that I needed to get used to was the very sensitive brakes. Good car so far, great handling but a little tight (you will need to stay focused or you will wander) on the steering. It rides a little rough. A little bit of a blind spot off your drivers rear quadrant, say 7 through 9, that I don't pick up in my mirror.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Coming up to 10k miles, @35-40mpg, @ 75% interstate at the speed limit. Only concern at this point is the IVT. Only complaints are the headlight adjustment and that silly engine off feature. One thing that I needed to get used to was the very sensitive brakes. Good car so far, great handling but a little tight (you will need to stay focused or you will wander) on the steering. It rides a little rough. A little bit of a blind spot off your drivers rear quadrant, say 7 through 9, that I don't pick up in my mirror.
'

Thanks
What year, model and engine do you have?

If the slight hiccup of the 1-2 transmission shift of the Dual-Clutch was the only problem I had, I'd say go for the turbo. Mine started slipping on my 2018 around 45K miles. Damn shame too, as that little turbo was relatively quick.

Even though I've been out of my last Soul (2020 EX designer package) I still notice them on the road. The options I had on my 2020 was a pretty good sweet spot IMO for Souls. One thing I noticed on a lot of the Kias I'm seeing on the road, many of them do not have the LED daylight accent lights around the headlights. I thought it was a nice little feature now that I don't see it on just any new Kia Soul. Interestingly enough, the 2021 EX's do not come in Neptune Blue anymore.

Oh and I'll also add that the upgraded navigation system is awesome, probably the first thing people noticed when they got in my car.
With the transmission slipping, I understand why you got rid of the turbo. Wonder if that's a known issue.

Why did you get rid of your 2020?

·
Registered
597 Posts
With the transmission slipping, I understand why you got rid of the turbo. Wonder if that's a known issue.

Why did you get rid of your 2020?
I bought a used truck for some work around the house, and I used the Soul primarily for Uber duty. The used truck I bought, it got the job done, but I got bit by the truck bug, and as I stopped doing Uber due to the liability of Covid, figured I'd better go ahead and sell the Soul and upgrade to a new truck.

I actually find myself missing the Soul from time to time as it was a good value and didn't kill me at the gas pumps. If Kia offered the Soul Turbo with a manual transmission fully loaded, I can see it being a big seller.

·
Registered
2020 GT-Line Turbo Cherry Black
127 Posts
I've had a 2010 !, 2014 Base, my wife has a 2016 ! Whole Shebang, & I'm now driving a 2020 GT-Line Turbo. My complaint w/ my other Souls has been the headlights. Upgraded my base w/ LED & was real happy. The current Gen 3's also seem to have pretty poor headlights. Before I bought my Gen 3, I took out the X-line and theEX for test drives at night.
The primary reason I ended up with the turbo was the LED headlights are just so much brighter, and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. now that I have it I absolutely love all of the features including the perky off the line pep that it has, the increased size on the navigation / radio screen, the smart cruise control, and of course above all else the ass warmers in the seats!

There was things I loved about each one of the packages, the EX being closest to my perfect car (love those grey wheels), but the dismal headlights just didn't make it really doable for me.

I like the 7 speed tranny w/ the floppy paddle shifters. Still early on, but @ 8000 miles Imy getting about 26 mph in town & about 35 on the highway.... That's assuming I don't put my foot into the turbo. :C)

Don't know about the ivt transmission, but I do know I'm really pleased with the one I got!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts