Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2011 + m/t 2.0l
692 Posts
if yes please share your experiences
I had a Saturn 4 door sedan. A guy in a lifted pickup truck ran the light and turned across the intersection. In the process he accidentally drove over top of my hood and part of my windshield, literally. While all 4 of his tires went up and over me, three of them were touching my car for a moment. He stopped and apologized and eventually his insurance paid for everything. In the process I was offered to keep my car and the buyback was $140. Since I owned it free and clear the title stayed clean. I got a matching hood, headlights, fender, etc from a junkyard. I hired a new windshield. About five years later I sold it to a neighbor for $300. Everything still worked except the airbag, because I didn't bother with replacing that one. He drove it another year before the engine failed. Not sure how many miles were on it since the odometer stalled a few months after the collision. It was over 225k miles then.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I own a salvage car right now, a Ford Taurus. It was a mistake, I would never buy another salvage car. I've had it for 5 yrs and it runs fine but I've sunk a few thousand into it and I'm never going to get back what it's worth if I sell it because guess what.... it's a salvage car and nobody trusts them. Plus in the back of my mind I'm always wondering if the air bags will work in an accident.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Thanks to all of you guys, I'm not interested in the car anymore, I would rather get a clean title car instead, Anyone here ever buy a salvage title vehicle? if yes please share your experiences.
Your best bet on a salvage vehicle is one that wasn't worth much before it was salvaged, because then it really doesn't take much for insurance to call it a total loss. I don't know if we have any insurance adjusters on here but it used to be somewhere around 50% or more of the vehicle's value before it was totaled. Just using that as a benchmark, let's say that Soul was worth maybe $10k before it was in an accident, the damage would probably be $5-6k or more before they would just eat the cost. Now you look at the picture and imagine what damage you can't see that brought that cost up to $6k, since it doesn't look horrible from the picture. And also imagine the estimates are insurance prices, not retail you brought it into the shop prices.

I recently had a truck totaled at work. It was a 3 year old F150 that cost about $35k new. A telephone pole snapped a couple of months ago and the wires shot the pole into the truck like an arrow. Lucky no one was hurt but it smashed the front of the truck - fender, hood, etc - flat as a pancake. Insurance didn't total it until the collision shop pulled and removed the engine to verify additional frame and engine damage, and that was when the estimate for repair was over $11k before they even pulled the engine and did more review. So they were going to fix that truck for over $11k instead of salvaging it before the additional frame damage was revealed.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul
30 Posts
I had a Saturn 4 door sedan. A guy in a lifted pickup truck ran the light and turned across the intersection. In the process he accidentally drove over top of my hood and part of my windshield, literally. While all 4 of his tires went up and over me, three of them were touching my car for a moment. He stopped and apologized and eventually his insurance paid for everything. In the process I was offered to keep my car and the buyback was $140. Since I owned it free and clear the title stayed clean. I got a matching hood, headlights, fender, etc from a junkyard. I hired a new windshield. About five years later I sold it to a neighbor for $300. Everything still worked except the airbag, because I didn't bother with replacing that one. He drove it another year before the engine failed. Not sure how many miles were on it since the odometer stalled a few months after the collision. It was over 225k miles then.
I have a 97 Saturn SC2 with 267,000 miles on it. The engine still purrs like a kitten. I got it from the original owner. He GAVE me the car because he also has a 95 SC2. His wife told him one of them had to go or she was going to leave him. Since she's the bread winner in the family, he asked me if I wanted it. Of course I took a free car. And he drove it from PA to AL to give it to me! It's a five speed, and I have fun driving it. The main reason he gave it to me is because it needs a new compressor in order for the a/c to work. It's going to be my winter beater and I'll cancel the insurance during the hot weather as it'll sit for months at a time. Hell, I might even just sell it as it gets very good mileage and everyone wants an economy car, right?

21 - 24 of 24 Posts