Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I appreciate everyone here for the concerned raised here, thanks for giving your experience on Salvage title, I also did some research and decided to run a VIN check, Thought of getting the Carfax but found cheaper, Luckily the report show the picture of this vehicle in auction with damages, please share your thought on the damage, is it serious, would you guys buy it?? and yes the seems to be too expensive for the salvage title vehicle. The car was sold at estimate price of $2100, Thanks!
Here is the car report: https://app.detailedvehiclehistory.com/report/vin/KNDJN2A21G7254559

Hello everyone - Hope this is in the right place
Thanks for creating this awesome forum and meeting the wonderful people here. I am looking to get a 2016 Kia Soul vehicle and I am looking to the community to check if there is anything I should be looking out for while doing my inspection.

Things I will be looking out for are
coolant or oil leads
Weird noises coming from the engine
check the transmission for slips and jolt
verify all the electronics are working properly

The asking price is $8,000 and it has 106100 miles with a Salvage Title.

If you guys have any suggestions on what to check.
Looking forward to joining this family, thanks
Automotive parking light Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle registration plate Tire Automotive side marker light

Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

Sky Speedometer Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2011 + m/t 2.0l
691 Posts
is anything I should be looking out for while doing my inspection.
salvage title = half off regular price and additional discounts based on quality.
have it inspected by a trained mechanic and a professional collision repair facility.
if it was wrecked and then rebuilt properly it should be safe to own and drive. however with a salvage title it's only worth disassembled parts value

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I bought a salvage 2000 Hyundai Elantra a long time ago that was in a front end collision and it was a great car. It was poorly put back together behind what was visible, but still very reliable. I even drove it to Canada without any issues. At the time, in 2002, I paid $3000 and it had 22k miles on it.

I got in a little fender bender about a year later and the auto body shop fixed all the hidden previous damage too. Didn’t have any trouble with the insurance in my area, but that’s a good point someone made, make sure yours will insure a rebuilt salvage title car where you live.

I agree the car is way overpriced, especially for the mileage. I wouldn’t pay any more than $5000 and even that seems high for it being a salvage and high mileage, maybe more like $4000, but that probably won’t happen with the pricing of cars today.

Do you know where the car was hit and how bad the damage was? If it was repaired correctly and the previous owner maintained it well, a salvage car can be a decent buy. Have it checked out by a mechanic if you plan to buy it.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I looked at a Nissan pu one time with a salvage title. Dealer told me it was a theft recovery. I ran the Vin and found pictures of it at a salvage yard up north. It had been wrecked in the front. Minor damage but if the dealer lied about the reason for the salvage title, I had no desire to deal with him. He also later got busted for laundering drug money. Guess what, he's still in business. :mad:

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I looked at a Nissan pu one time with a salvage title. Dealer told me it was a theft recovery. I ran the Vin and found pictures of it at a salvage yard up north. It had been wrecked in the front. Minor damage but if the dealer lied about the reason for the salvage title, I had no desire to deal with him. He also later got busted for laundering drug money. Guess what, he's still in business. :mad:
I swear, every single ad I've ever seen for a salvage title goes something like this:

"Low miles, salvage title from minor bumper cover and license plate bracket damage" :ROFLMAO::rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for creating this awesome forum and meeting the wonderful people here. I am looking to get a 2016 Kia Soul vehicle and I am looking to the community to check if there is anything I should be looking out for while doing my inspection.

coolant or oil leads

View attachment 140707
View attachment 140708
View attachment 140709
yes you can find further details through the Vin whhich make you decision for the purchasing matter of the car and and in this sence the Vin decoder can helps you

·
Registered
4 Posts

coolant or oil leads

View attachment 140707
View attachment 140708
View attachment 140709
Hi... I have the 2016 Soul Base Model with 6 speed manual transmission, had 95000 miles when I bought it in April 2022, and I paid about $11,000. The pics you posted sure don't look like like a car with a salvage title, so I am personally curious why it does have a salvage title. It looks pretty straight at first glance, but if you are serious about buying it, find a Kia mechanic, or a mechanic you trust, and the couple hundred bucks you will pay them for a thorough inspection will be the best money you ever spend. Dealing with salvage titles varies according to your state, so you will also want to talk to a tag agent to make sure you can get tags, talk to your insurance agent to make sure there's no hiccups getting coverage, and if you need financing, discuss the situation with your loan provider. If all these people give their blessing then chances are you are no more at risk than any other used car buyer. Good luck!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys, I appreciate everyone here for the concerned raised here, thanks for giving your experience on Salvage title, I also did some research and decided to run a VIN check, Thought of getting the carfax but found cheaper, Luckily the report show the picture of this vehicle in auction with damages, please share your thought on the damage, is it serious, would you guys buy it?? and yes the seems to be too expensive for the salvage title vehicle. The car was sold at estimate price of $2100, Thanks!
Here is the car report: https://app.detailedvehiclehistory.com/report/vin/KNDJN2A21G7254559
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,870 Posts
What did they do - back into a tree stump at full speed?? All that damage and yet the back glass didn't crack.
Maybe it was some dumbass TikTok challenge? o_O

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Wow, like jdmartin said, “just needs a bumper cover and a license plate light” 😆

That’s quite a bit of damage, but at least it was in the rear end and not the front. It looks like they did a good job putting it back together from looking at the picture, but for the price they’re asking + mileage, I think I’d look elsewhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to all of you guys, I'm not interested in the car anymore, I would rather get a clean title car instead, Anyone here ever buy a salvage title vehicle? if yes please share your experiences.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Thanks to all of you guys, I'm not interested in the car anymore, I would rather get a clean title car instead, Anyone here ever buy a salvage title vehicle? if yes please share your experiences.
See post number 6 with my experience (it was good, but I didn’t pay much for the car)

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I bought a Ranger 4x4 years ago with a salvage title. It had been fixed right and the whole truck repainted. No problems with it. I sold it to a guy for his son . He had it checked out by a mechanic before he bought it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts