Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok really thinking of getting a soul " ! " . But the dealer is stating that they have no control over options that are listed in red type on the window sticker; so now I need to chose between cars with added options that are unwanted. Plus looking at the remote start that Kia installed a penny sized fob chained to the key fob looks like an after thought.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Because of agreements with the labor unions at the ports, they get to decide what items to put on the cars as they are brought into the country, and it's all based on what makes THEM money.

If your dealership is REALLY helpful they can search the ENTIRE Kia inventory and find you the perfect Soul and have it shipped in, might cost you a few hundred more though in shipping fees.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have yet to see a + or ! without any additional options, from Kia's inventory search on their website. There's always at least 1 "optional" accessory added on.

·
Registered
355 Posts
That's another result of the labor contract, they get to add at least 1 thing to all cars, and they take advantage of that. Your best bet, and this will suck, is to find one that has only the stupid pinstripes added on, and just remove them after buying the car. You're probably going to get the car for a little under sticker if you're good, so just try to make sure you at least get that up-charge off the price :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only dealer around here is Gerald kia of naper that come close but, they have a mandatory appearance package add on that runs $695. Which includes pin stripes, mud flaps, and some wheel well undercoating or some such thing; Plus they say they have a lifetime warranty on they power train past kia's. Why when dealers or getting invoice or above, do I still need to pay for unwanted options?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think you should try other dealers which are not quite so close. When I went looking for my Kia, I insisted on first trying a stick shift with the 2.0 liter engine (they are very tough to find). None of the local Northern NJ dealers had one, so I ended up driving 2.5 hours to PA to test drive the closest one I found. I loved the pick-up but didn't love the color. Otherwise, I would have bought it. Why not try dealers in Chicago? Maybe they are more competitive.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
Why when dealers or getting invoice or above, do I still need to pay for unwanted options?
if your paying MSRP then you don't have to pay for sure, but invoice then that's something you have to negotiate, particulate on a "hot car".

·
Registered
162 Posts
theo2thea, that $695 is utter baloney. Kias come competently rustproofed, so adding "undercoating" is ineffective. That pinstriping is cheap: kits available on eBay run about $5 for the stick-on kind. A non-OEM but better than OEM set of mudflaps is $25. And so it goes -- they're just trying to pick your pocket.

I'd give Gerald a pass as my dealer: if they're that crooked at point of sale, you have zero assurance that they'd give you honest and competent service over the life of the car.

Have you checked Grossinger's in Lincolnwood? We didn't have to deal with any of that "mandatory appearance package" malarkey.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
If you belong to the Auto Club I would give them a call. I dealt with them and it was the easiest way to get the Soul with the options I wanted for less than what my local dealership was asking.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you have the option of going to another dealership nearby where you live I suggest you shop around. I dealt with 3 different Kia dealerships while shopping for my Soul, and went with the one that was most willing to work with me. And they all knew I was working with two other places, I made sure they knew it so they would all "fight" for my business.

·
Registered
355 Posts
You're in Naperville area? Let me know when you want to go and I'll go to Gerald with you. They're my buddies over there and I might be able to get a little more from them for you :) They are a good dealership but they overcharge for that appearance package that gets put on before the car ever reaches them TBH.

RickB: The dealerships in Chicago ALWAYS charge more than the suburbs as a result of their location. They pay more in rent and taxes so they charge more to consumers.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,658 Posts
There's also USAA and Costco. Lots of services out there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It depends on the dealer. None in Florida offer Costco discount, but Georgia did. HOWEVER, I told my local dealer that I had no problem picking one up in Georgia when I visited and they suddenly managed to match the Costco Auto Program quote I had from Georgia, plus a couple of those "add-ons" thrown in. Saved a lot of mileage and trouble and still got slightly better than the equivalent of the Costco deal. BTW, the price ended up about $800 lower than their previous "best" price.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks, for the info found a dealer in Schaumburg that was able to fit most of my wants, tho not sure of what to use the homelink mirror will be.

·
Registered
136 Posts
IIRC, the homelink mirror has two features. First, and most useful, is that it auto-dims when the headlights of a car behind you get bright enough. Second, it has built-in buttons that function as programmable garage door openers.

Or something.

I don't have a garage, much less one with an automatic opener, and flipping a button on the mirror isn't really that much of an inconvenience to me, so I didn't really want it - but hey... it seems like a cool idea.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The compass was a nice touch. Don't ya think? Very useful at night, if you get turned around.
I didn't know about the auto-dimming rear view mirror feature till I saw it actually do it.
I thought that was really cool!

No garage here, so that feature is 100% redundant.
Hmmmm, I wonder if it would work on my Front Door Remote?
I'll have to try that.

Say, have y'all noticed that Ciggarette lighter sockets don't come with the lighter anymore?
Hint! Hint! STOP SMOKING WHILE DRIVING!!!

Happy Holidays, Everyone!

TM :cool:

·
Registered
136 Posts
The compass was a nice touch.
I don't have one, but I have a pretty good internal compass, and in the 10 years I owned a car with one built-in, I never paid attention to it unless it needed to be recalibrated. My wife and daughter? If they had MORE situational awareness, they might approach the point where a compass would be useful.

Hmmmm, I wonder if it would work on my Front Door Remote?
I'll have to try that.
Man... you should! That would be interesting.

Say, have y'all noticed that Ciggarette lighter sockets don't come with the lighter anymore?
That's been true for a long time. Nor do cars come with built-in ash trays. Not only does it save the manufacturer money, they get a chance to sell them to people who want them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts