Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Really, what would you not go over? $
The one I posted has an MSRP that's a few hundred more than the one you posted (meaning it's similarly equipped but might have something extra like weather mats, or a rear cargo liner). I'd contact the other dealership and ask them if the car is available. Tell them that you're buying from out of state, and that if they can give you that price in writing and you put whatever money you agree to down, that you'll make arrangements to pick it up ASAP. Even if it costs you $800 to fly out there, that's spending $800 to save over $3000. You can also send your local dealership the ad from the one I posted and see if they can meet that price. I have a standard line that I use with local dealerships, "I saw this vehicle at another dealership, but if you guys can match it, I'd rather deal with you". Sometimes they bite, and sometimes they insist that the other dealership is most likely lying about the price. It's always fun to watch them try to cut each other's throats.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,432 Posts
Don't hesitate to tell them you're looking at a Honda HRV or Nissan Kicks or whatever else & like them alot. Mention you've heard these new Kia IVT transmissions are having problems. Make their position weaker & unsure. The last thing you want to do is say how much you like or want a Soul (that's for later on your own turf).

Best of luck!

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Y’all have me scared!
We've done our job Grasshopper. Now get out there and do yours. Scare em just enough to get the price you want & make us proud ;)

·
Registered
513 Posts
I would tell them that you aren't going to step into a dealership until you have the price you want. Also, if you REALLY want to get their attention, go here https://www.kia.com/us/en/online-credit-application and fill out an app, even if you don't intend on financing. You'll get a Kia salesperson call you quick. I literally had one call me right after I clicked on "Submit".

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am out looking ... which one would you all buy... recommend? Im looking at the one pictured or a turbo
I bought the turbo for 3 reasons, I wanted the extra oomph, I wanted the stereo it comes with, and I had to have the Adaptive Cruise. Now that (hopefully) all my gremlins are worked out I am pretty happy with my choice.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I’ve been loving my GT-Line Turbo, but from what I’ve read the EX is the best option if you care more about MPG vs. Acceleration. I’ve got a seriously heavy foot, and have been getting 22mpg in street driving, 22-24 in mixed driving (depending on how bad traffic is on the freeway), and 31-34mpg in long distance highway drives (400 or so miles up the 5 or 395 in CA).

If you love twists and turns then you also MIGHT be better off with the EX. The Turbo tends to kick in at the most inopportune times during turns, which results in the traction control kicking in, your RPMs dropping and the turbo turning off. Suddenly you’re a slug right when you’re coming out of the turn and wanting to accelerate. Turning off traction control resolves this, but if you’re used to relying upon driver assists then its probably not a good idea. I’m cool with it turned off...I just forget to do so until after its happening (it turns on every time you start your car, just like the stop-start engine function).

In regards to keeping your costs low, check out carbuyingtips.com. It’s a great site that explains in detail how dealers shift costs and pads the bill to increase profits based on your stated goals (low cost, low down payment, maximum value for trade in, low monthly payment, etc) during the negotiation. I ended up paying 26K for the 2020 GT-Line Turbo instead of almost $30K...a lot of that due to the fact that I came in saying that I was looking at a 2018 Honda Civic (unsold cars from the prior model year) that the dealer was willing to cut $4000 off the MSRP. Do your homework, come in with leverage (your own financing and comps for other cars you are looking at), and stick to your guns when it comes to following the tips on that website. Eat before going (they delay financing negotiations as long as possible so you are low in blood sugar) and bring your own snacks and drinks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just purchased the GT in Cherry Black without Turbo and I don't have any complaints so far. It looks great in Cherry Black.
I bought the same myself on Saturday. No regrets. The only thing I wish it had was the LED light package, but I am already adding some leds. I love having the fog lights which I got to use this morning. Also love the sun roof. I am accessorising with black and red items inside and out as I can. I could have bought an EX, but then I didn't care about some of the items with it. Best thing to do is see what speaks to you and your wallet. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hey, I also have a protective clear shield that I bought for my 2013 soul that I didn’t use. Can you tell where would be the best place to post it?

·
Registered
418 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I like the encore for several reasons and don't like it for several as well.
The likes include Korean built and a simply beautiful interior and sharp exterior.
The dislikes include it's overpriced and slow as mole-asses and the warranty doesn't compare to the Kias.
I shopped the Encore as well. Rode very nice, quiet, transmission has very profound pauses between shifts...very odd. Over priced and is one of the top ten fastest depreciating cars you can buy . Value just was not there. Kia gives you a lot for the money. I really wish some of the features on the EX were available on the GT.....Silly!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had a 17 Exclaim Turbo DCT for 2 years. Honestly didn't care for the tuning of it, the transmission logic was just...off. I was previously spoiled by a few GTI's with DCT trannies that were much better programmed. Learning what I did I opted for the 20 EX and am MUCH happier with this car. The IVT is smooth, shifts well when you want it to do that, and the MPGs are up there. It's not as fast as the Turbo, but for the money you really can't beat it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Soul EX is a great choice. We bought one a month ago and very happy with it. The only drawback is that you cannot get the adaptive cruise control with the EX (have to get the turbo with a dual clutch and lower gas mileage). The regular cruise works ok but not like the adaptive cruise like the one that we have on our 2017 Sorento. Other than that and no height adjustment for the passenger seat, its a great.small car with enough pickup for highway travel.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
The Soul EX is a great choice. We bought one a month ago and very happy with it. The only drawback is that you cannot get the adaptive cruise control with the EX (have to get the turbo with a dual clutch and lower gas mileage). The regular cruise works ok but not like the adaptive cruise like the one that we have on our 2017 Sorento. Other than that and no height adjustment for the passenger seat, its a great.small car with enough pickup for highway travel.
I agree Larry, it's annoying they don't offer adaptive cruise on the EX, even if you're willing to pay more. These tactics are industry wide and definitely not appreciated by car buyers (or reviewers).

I'd be curious what it would take to add adaptive cruise. We've already proven you can add cruise control to the base 2020 MT just by buying a different round steering wheel switch. You'd probably have to buy a sensor and different controller that has the adaptive switch operational. Maybe somebody with the GT can tell us where the cruise control sensor is located??

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new EX!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I thought about what it would take to add the adaptive cruise control to an EX. I wonder if the reason it doesn't have it has anything to do with the CVT transmission? The GT has a dual clutch tranny so perhaps that's more "adaptable' to the adaptive cruise control. Our Sorento that has the adaptive cruise control has a traditional automatic transmission. One of the main advantages of the adaptive cruise is that it holds its speed downhill regardless of whether its following another car. It really works well. As long as there is someone in front of you, its possible to go anywhere without ever having to hit the gas or the brake. I totally agree with you regarding the industry wide tactics of "forcing" one to buy a higher trim line in order to get an option, especially when its safety related. If you can figure out if the EX can handle an adaptive cruise, let me know.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
The EX LTD. in Canada has the adaptive cruise with the IVT tranny, I have it on my GT-Line LTD. and it works amazing stays about 4 car lengths behind and maintains the speed.

Pat.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Have had my 2020 GT Turbo for a bit now,and can say I would not change for a lesser model.
The options and features are well worth the price of admission to me.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts