Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I am looking to purchase a Kia Soul 2012 (I believe it is the + model), but I had a question about the tires and rims. I think the Kia Soul+ has 16" stock rims and tires on it. The Soul I am looking at has custom 18" rims (the brand is Drag) and Yokohama tires I believe. My question is are these 18" tires too big for a + model? It is to my understanding that mpg goes down and the ride is a little rougher. Are there any other problems that may pop up? I would hate for it to be messing with something early on that will end up in huge repairs later. I've also looked at the CarFax and it looks like on multiple occasions the car's tire condition and pressure was checked along with maintenance at a Kia mechanic. I'm guessing they would have brought up any major issues regarding the wheels?
I'm also unsure of Drag's quality and the Soul's stock quality in rims, so it's hard to make that comparison. From quick research, it appears that both are generally inexpensive, but would love to hear opinions from you all.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,618 Posts
I'd ask the owner where the original wheels are. Long gone I'd guess.

I'd ask what other "custom work" he had done. You do not want a modded car.

IMO 17s are as big as this car should go, but everyone's got an opinion. For me, it's 17s or 16s. The only advantage to 18s is the Kewl Parade, and they don't have one in my town.

Those are probably cheap Chinese wheels. Surely there are more used Souls in your area?

Reactions: dmwagner

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I'd ask the owner where the original wheels are. Long gone I'd guess.

I'd ask what other "custom work" he had done. You do not want a modded car.

IMO 17s are as big as this car should go, but everyone's got an opinion. For me, it's 17s or 16s. The only advantage to 18s is the Kewl Parade, and they don't have one in my town.

Those are probably cheap Chinese wheels. Surely there are more used Souls in your area?
Couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
360 Posts
How big are the exclaims wheels? Although not necessarily applicable to you I have a 2013! with the premium wheels in which I believe (could be wrong) are 18" wheels. Whether you want a "modded car" or not is your choice. I would not only because I like to do all the work myself because I know I can trust it. Then again new wheels aren't a mod at all to me but that may just be me haha nonetheless drag branded wheels are good wheels from what I have heard.

·
Registered
360 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
Reactions: FL Soul

·
Registered
509 Posts
A little Web searching shows that they're middle-of-the-road wheels. Not crap but cast, not forged, and fairly heavy for alloy wheels in the bigger sizes. Your seller got what he paid for.

On the Drag Web site, however, comes this warning:
Drivers seeking wheels for drifting, drag, or street applications need look no further than Drag Wheels.
Maybe not every Drag wheel owner is playing real-life Grand Theft Auto with their car, but it would make me want to look for more evidence of a hard used-car life.

[ETA]Looks like these still may be sold through Discount Tire, which supports this site. You might want to hit their forum and ask; they could tell you if they've had any issues with them overall.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,618 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
JFYI......

My last three cars had 16" rims, so I know what those drive like.
My Kia Soul, Base model, came with 15" steel wheels. I bought a fifth one for a spare.

I drive in loose sand a lot, so when I decided to change tires, for better traction, I consulted my Goodyear tire man, whom I've been relying on for 25 years to provide me with good tires.

After considering many options, I decided on the Kelly (owned by Goodyear) Explorer tire, two sizes wider than the Kia OEM tires.
The tires perform VERY well in sand and on bare pavement, and NEVER hydroplane on wet pavement or in standing water.*

* We get a lot of rain here in Florida, and standing water is a real hazard, so having a tire that cuts through the water instead of hydroplaning on top of it, is important.

With the 15" wheels, I get the torque from my little 1.6L engine, to the road quicker, than if I had larger wheels.
I'm extremely pleased with the performance I get from my Kia Soul (nicnamed, "Gertrude")
Stability in high speed cornering is Excellent. She might not quite be a real Sports Car, but she's the next best thing.

Good Luck with that New Car.

:cool:

·
Registered
360 Posts
So I just went to Discount tire as I need new wheels and got a quote. I have 18" wheels as I got the exclaim and it will cost me $750 for them....or $950 to go down to 16" wheels from Drag with sport tires that I will likely replace once to the three times I'd have to replace the 18"'s. That's my input :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have 18's on my 2012(!) Frankly, for my tires hitting the end of the road and lowering springs, it still rides fairly nice! Even on the crappy chicago streets. and my mpg is still around 22-26 with driving around college and back home.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts