Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is one of those topics that people get emotional about. I've read about the supposed benefits but has any one actually used nitrogen for the life of their tires? Say about five plus years. Our 2017 Base has nitrogen tire caps so I'm assuming the tires are nitrogen filled.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I know this is one of those topics that people get emotional about. I've read about the supposed benefits but has any one actually used nitrogen for the life of their tires? Say about five plus years. Our 2017 Base has nitrogen tire caps so I'm assuming the tires are nitrogen filled.
I wouldn't count on it for the life of the tire, as short as the life of the stock tires is. However, it is nice not to be bothered when seasons change.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I'm not alone....I live out in the country and there is nowhere around here to get Nitrogen.

I drop my tire pressure for heavy work in the sand and then pump them back up for going out on the highways.
Trying to keep them inflated with Nitrogen would be near on to impossible. I won't call it Snake Oil, but maybe Snake Fahrts.

For most Americans, it's just not practical.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,651 Posts
I'm not alone....I live out in the country and there is nowhere around here to get Nitrogen.

I drop my tire pressure for heavy work in the sand and then pump them back up for going out on the highways.
Trying to keep them inflated with Nitrogen would be near on to impossible. I won't call it Snake Oil, but maybe Snake Fahrts.

For most Americans, it's just not practical.

Slip me a twenty and I'll let ya know where you can get a 78% nitrogen mix for pennies!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nitrogen, smitrogen...

Try to get a copy of Kia Technical Service Bulletin number 058. It contains a list of services that are not recommended by Kia because they increase ownership costs while providing little or no benefits to the owner.

Number 5 on the list: Nitrogen tire fill.

The sad thing is that I would expect most dealers to have been provided this TSB...

Beuford

·
Registered
18 Posts
Think about this; how do they fill your tires with nitrogen? Unless they pull a vacuum all they are doing is filling your tires with a nitrogen/oxygen mix. My regular air filled tires on my truck might fluctuate 1-3psi throughout the year according the tire monitoring system!

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Slip me a twenty and I'll let ya know where you can get a 78% nitrogen mix for pennies!
I have such a system in my shop....it's called an "Air Compressor". I use it every week.

Small air compressors have gotten so cheap that everyone who can afford a car, can afford one.

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
I have such a system in my shop....it's called an "Air Compressor". I use it every week.

Small air compressors have gotten so cheap that everyone who can afford a car, can afford one.

Dang! So you're not sending me a twenty? Ten will work! Yeah, two tens! That's much cheaper!

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
I know this is one of those topics that people get emotional about...
You are right, it gets hot around this topic and a few others also. I never understand how something as unassuming can be so contenscious. Oh well, play nice (yea, right) and the sand box will stay open.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
As nice as I can play, would be to admit that I always have Nitrogen in my tires. 70+% anyway.
It's the same stuff I breath every day.
And here in FL, it gets washed almost every day. Good Stuff!

roflmao !!!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Total scam. Florida dealer I was talking to wanted a mandatory $1900 for the light factory tint that's baked into the glass, unlimited car washes at a car wash place I'd never see, door guard trim ($10 on Amazon), and nitrogen filled tires. Boo. If you want stability in your tire pressure, fill up with xenon gas. :D

·
Registered
994 Posts
Nitrogen is pretty much a scam; sure, the larger molecules take longer to "leak" out of the tires, but they will leak out as does "regular" air. So, you still have to check tire pressure. When my kia dealer delivered my car with their "nitrogen warranty", they didn't even inflate the tires to the same OR to the proper PSI. Regular air. Check and adjust quarterly.

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
Total scam. Florida dealer I was talking to wanted a mandatory $1900 for the light factory tint that's baked into the glass, unlimited car washes at a car wash place I'd never see, door guard trim ($10 on Amazon), and nitrogen filled tires. Boo. If you want stability in your tire pressure, fill up with xenon gas. :D
Sad part of that ripoff is there's a certain percent of customers who will pop for it. Xin loi sukkah!

I like helium myself. It reduces unsprung weight! :rolleyes-new:

I tried hydrogen but the tires kept blowing up when they got hot. Go figure!

Reactions: FLHamster

·
Registered
450 Posts
Enough about air already!
Can we please talk about oil now?
Pennzoil Platinum jugs at Wal-Mart for $22-23 all day long. One of the best values you can get on good top tier full synthetic oil, not the deceptively relabled Mobil 1 after the Mobil 1 Synthetic was downgraded a few years ago and kept the same price, and you now have to buy Mobil 1 "full synthetic" or "extended blah blah" to get 100% synth goodness. Send oil to Blackstone Labs to gauge how long you can go on one oil change. Profit.

Oil discussion complete. :p

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Sad part of that ripoff is there's a certain percent of customers who will pop for it. Xin loi sukkah!

I like helium myself. It reduces unsprung weight! :rolleyes-new:

I tried hydrogen but the tires kept blowing up when they got hot. Go figure!

I like HOT air!
Since it rises, it works much like helium and since I mass produce it, it costs me nothing to maintain my tires with it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
There is a Costco not far from where I live and work.
It used to be called Price Club. They sell tires
and install them too. And have the best prices around.

For approx twenty bucks they will balance and rotate your tires for life.
Plus, keep em topped off with nitrogen gas (N).

I have done that deal, with the last two vehicles I've owned.

Personally, the difference between compressed air with 78% N.
VS pure 100 % N is scanty at best.

I can see that zero percent additional water vapor,
is being introduced into our tires, with the pure N fill-up.

So there is that, for an upside. And that is a good point.

Currently with my 2015 Soul I'm Maintaining the 78% mix it came with.

I do avoid "old filling stations" for my air pressure needs.
Seems like those air hoses are spitting out a lot of H2O with the delivered air.
I use compressed air, and enjoy the uber convenience.

25K miles from now,(40,233.6 kilometers) when I need new skates,
I will probably buy them at Costco. Free Nitrogen
for us "Members". I usually go about once a month.
So, it's not out of the way for me to experiment with the "N".

I will keep us Kia Soul Forum members up to date when that occurs.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Have had 100% nitrogen in many sets of tires purchased from Costco--except for the ones that were replaced from road hazard--all have exceeded the tire manufacturers mileage warranty. Not sure if it was the nitrogen or paying attention to the cars rotation schedule. I don't think I'd pay extra for the nitrogen if it were offered as an option though--at Costco they just do nitrogen.

Tire pressure seems pretty consistent despite over seventy degree temperature variation throughout the year--that being said it is also consistent with the air filled tires we have as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
but it is extra profit for the dealer from the gullible. I wouldn't be surprised if they used air straight from the shop airline, after all it is about 80% Ni already.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts