Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done research and looked for videos to try to figure out how to check fuel pressure. Can someone direct me where to place the pressure gauge to check it? If there's is even a place to put it on 2016 soul

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
You have a clogged cat, no need to check your fuel pressure. There are 2 places you would check fuel pressure if you are so inclined. It can only be done with a scan tool that can read data, there is a sensor on the high pressure fuel rail and you can read what the ECM is requesting vs actual pressure on the data. The other place is at the GDI pump, if the first reading is out of whack as you don't need to check further if the first test passed. You will need an adapter for this. Not really something you should be doing at home as the tools required most people do not have.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Be careful if you tinker around with the high pressure fuel pump or fuel rail. It’s under extremely high pressure and if you are not experienced and make a mistake, you could cause a fire.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have a clogged cat, no need to check your fuel pressure. There are 2 places you would check fuel pressure if you are so inclined. It can only be done with a scan tool that can read data, there is a sensor on the high pressure fuel rail and you can read what the ECM is requesting vs actual pressure on the data. The other place is at the GDI pump, if the first reading is out of whack as you don't need to check further if the first test passed. You will need an adapter for this. Not really something you should be doing at home as the tools required most people do not have.
Ok how would I try to unclog it at home before I call a mobile mechanic? I am on a budget trying to do this where I can afford it 1st.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Once you "unclog" it you will have no warranty whatsoever and you said you had it done at a Kia dealership. If it was done under a recall or warranty it will show up on the vehicle report at any dealership including the date and mileage it was done at. Would you disclose when it was done, date and mileage and then current mileage? You are most likely going to get this done at no cost to you if you take it to a dealership. If the dealership is not helpful to you there is always Kia consumer affairs. Have you made a call to your nearest dealership and explained the situation?
I really don't even want to tell you how to "unclog" it in your driveway as that would void any warranty you may have and it is illegal to disable an emissions device.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Once you "unclog" it you will have no warranty whatsoever and you said you had it done at a Kia dealership. If it was done under a recall or warranty it will show up on the vehicle report at any dealership including the date and mileage it was done at. Would you disclose when it was done, date and mileage and then current mileage? You are most likely going to get this done at no cost to you if you take it to a dealership. If the dealership is not helpful to you there is always Kia consumer affairs. Have you made a call to your nearest dealership and explained the situation?
I really don't even want to tell you how to "unclog" it in your driveway as that would void any warranty you may have and it is illegal to disable an emissions device.
No not a Kia dealership it was a used car place

·
Registered
482 Posts
Do they check emissions in Wisconsin?

It is illegal to bypass your catalytic converter by hollowing it out and installing a defouler to keep the O2 sensor happy and the check engine light off. I would never do that to any car or truck because it’s bad.

😉

Watching these videos, or videos like it will cause a tree in your neighborhood to die. You should never follow any advice given in these videos.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Defoulers do not work. You will still get a check engine light for slow o2 response, this is an internet myth that they help anything. Her car won't move because the cat fell apart internally.
Ok, so I didn't tell you this but you can just unclog it. How handy are you with tools? You will need 19mm sockets to remove the flex pipe at the bottom of the converter, just 2 bolts and then undo the hanger and pull it back from the manifold. You will look up and see a mesh screen, you need to knock that mesh screen out with a large pry bar and allow the dust and honeycomb pieces to fall out. Do not let them fall into the rest of the exhaust, maybe stick a rag in the flex pipe. Once the mesh screen is out start your car, it will be loud as hell but let all the pieces blow out of there. Then put it back together and you will get a check engine light for a p0420 after your second time driving because your converter is not working.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Defoulers do not work. You will still get a check engine light for slow o2 response, this is an internet myth that they help anything. Her car won't move because the cat fell apart internally.
Ok, so I didn't tell you this but you can just unclog it. How handy are you with tools? You will need 19mm sockets to remove the flex pipe at the bottom of the converter, just 2 bolts and then undo the hanger and pull it back from the manifold. You will look up and see a mesh screen, you need to knock that mesh screen out with a large pry bar and allow the dust and honeycomb pieces to fall out. Do not let them fall into the rest of the exhaust, maybe stick a rag in the flex pipe. Once the mesh screen is out start your car, it will be loud as hell but let all the pieces blow out of there. Then put it back together and you will get a check engine light for a p0420 after your second time driving because your converter is not working.
Would this cause car not to turn over and stay running? That's what it's doing now.. want crank at all. I need a video to watch then i could do this.
I'm pretty handy with tools. No

·
Registered
482 Posts
Thats a bummer to find out. One of my favorite YouTube mechanics, Ivan from Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostic just mentioned defoulers in his last video about an old Nissan Xterra, it seemed to work, at least on camera.

Reactions: bwdz75

·
Registered
765 Posts
Defoulers do not work. You will still get a check engine light for slow o2 response, this is an internet myth that they help anything. ......
The cat cleaners will at the most prolong the life of the cat for a few weeks or months. From what I observe from reports to auto fora, in most cases, there is no improvement at all. That includes the Nissan Xterra.

Time to switch out the cat.

Only people in excellent health and who do not care about the health of others should remove the catalytic converter.

Please note that the pandemic that is currently piling up dead bodies is essentially a respiratory disease. People with respiratory conditions and people who live in dirty air-sheds are more vulnerable to the virus.

Please recall that most of the pollution that negatively impacts health consists of small particulate matter that is not visible to the naked eye.

Reactions: celronart

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Thats a bummer to find out. One of my favorite YouTube mechanics, Ivan from Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostic just mentioned defoulers in his last video about an old Nissan Xterra, it seemed to work, at least on camera.
Ivan is a cool dude and he has progressed a lot, I like his thought process and he learned and was supported by some excellent techs. I saw that video, he mentioned the anti foulers but in the video the owner supposedly replaces the cats hence the better o2 wave on the secondary sensors, still wasn't that great on the one side but it passed the readiness monitor on the test drive that time (trust me it will come back for that side having seen the pattern but probably after the owner sells it which was his goal)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well it's in the shop, got the call this morning it is the catalytic converter both of them apparently there's 2 of them. There goes $2k... So I'll be contacting who replaced it in June on Monday we will be having a little talk those aholes, they'll be helping with this bill for sure!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I remember that earlier you had asked how to "clean" or "gut" the converter to make your car go. Well, I was replacing one yesterday so I took a picture. Here is what the mesh screen looks like and what the inside of a converter looks like, I refer to it as "honeycombs". Basically either the converter gets contaminated with oil or fuel or runs too hot etc.. and becomes inefficient or it actually disintegrates and gets clogged at which point the pieces inside break up and some turn to dust clogging up the exhaust and making your car not have any power like the old banana in the tailpipe trick. This is a chunk from the inside of the converter.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I remember that earlier you had asked how to "clean" or "gut" the converter to make your car go. Well, I was replacing one yesterday so I took a picture. Here is what the mesh screen looks like and what the inside of a converter looks like, I refer to it as "honeycombs". Basically either the converter gets contaminated with oil or fuel or runs too hot etc.. and becomes inefficient or it actually disintegrates and gets clogged at which point the pieces inside break up and some turn to dust clogging up the exhaust and making your car not have any power like the old banana in the tailpipe trick. This is a chunk from the inside of the converter.
Oh wow yeah the shop said mine was throwing chunks of the convertor into the exhaust clogging it up. I wish I would have asked them to take a pic to share lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts