Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shifts more like a regular auto now and it shifts to a higher gear faster, almost like shifting into overdrive at barely enough speed sometimes. Also sort of bogged down today starting from a stop light with the air conditioner on which it never did before. It was not just starting out it felt like that until I was up to speed. Can't leave well enough alone.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Well..."shifting more like a regular auto" is a good thing, no?
Yesterday was one of the rare times I drove with the A/C on.
The car was noticeably more lethargic with less pep in it's step.
Any drain on this car will be a noticeable one but hopefully not a debilitating one.
The "higher gear faster" shift must be for economical reasons but frequently sucks the fun-factor right out of it.
After a year of ownership, I do not regret my purchase but i'd be lying if I didn't say the car underwhelms me sometimes.
I paid for safe, reliable, economical transportation and so far that is what I have received.
In some ways I prefer my 2012 that the 2020 replaced but much of that is due to Kia's clever "decontenting"
The new look has grown on me just as our 2012 did when we first purchased it.
I've grown to expect less in my old age or maybe some of the fight has been lost in this aging dog?
If it remains reliable then it's mission accomplished and for that there is little to be dissatisfied with.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Interesting, I had my 2020 updated two weeks ago when in for its first oil change, I haven’t noted any problems when starting from stop with the A/C running at all. Seems to run just as well as it did pre update.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Don't know....didn't get one!

But, here in FL, there is only about three months a year that I DON'T use the AC. Besides cooling the air, it also DE-Humidifies the air. I've noticed NO decrease in performance with the AC on. However on my 2013, I saw a three mpg decrease when I'd turn on the AC. I don't see that on my 2020. I guess I just lucked out, and got a very special Soul.
I'll question my rep at my dealership about that IVT update, and see just what it's all about.
To my knowledge, I've had NO updates on my car, even though they check for updates that I might need, every time I go to my dealer for service.

Happy Trails, Mates!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX with IVT transaxle in Mars Orange
24 Posts
But, here in FL, there is only about three months a year that I DON'T use the AC. Besides cooling the air, it also DE-Humidifies the air. I've noticed NO decrease in performance with the AC on.
I've had similar experience. I don't notice much, if any difference whether the AC is engaged or not. I generally have it on because of the humidity we have been experiencing all summer.

I'm still amazed at how well the vehicle performs for having a relatively "puny" engine. Coming up on 6000 miles and no problems to report.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,986 Posts
What is this "summer" thing many of you speak of?

We're still waiting for it to arrive in the NW 😰

·
Registered
106 Posts
When traveling on the highway at about 60 mph, using the gear shift, I’ve shifted to manual mode and see the “S“. I then will shift it forward, and the “S” will change to “8”. However, the RPM’s shown on the tachometer do not change. They stay at about 1500 rpm. I conclude then that the transmission is already in 8th gear and manually shifting into it is not necessary. (Note that I’ve done this several times at various speeds, all at 55 mph or highe with the same result.)

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Old Soul,
I've seen some of your neighbors wearing shorts and flip-flops on Christmas Day.
We really have only two seasons here in FL....Summer and not so much. ;)
I actually miss the snow that we had in Illinois. With a FWD car, it could be fun to drive in.
I've not seen any snow in 32 years. I miss it!

I did a little field trip last week and found the Cody's Roadhouse at Lake Sumpter Landing, and Brownwood, open for business with seating at the bar. It's good to see them back, open again.

Cheers Mate!

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
69 Posts
Like the groundhog that sees its shadow signifying spring... when you see This you'll know Summer has arrived!:
Helloooooo Summer!
View attachment 134284
Old Soul,
I've seen some of your neighbors wearing shorts and flip-flops on Christmas Day.
I actually miss the snow that we had in Illinois. With a FWD car, it could be fun to drive in.

I did a little field trip last week and found the Cody's Roadhouse at Lake Sumpter Landing, and Brownwood, open for business with seating at the bar. It's good to see them back, open again.

Cheers Mate!
Flip Flops are like dress shoes in the villages.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Old Soul,

Cheers Mate!
Is there anyone living in Florida that's not from Illinois or Wisconsin?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Vindex, since you asked.....
I've heard that there are over 1000 families per day, moving into Florida, and most of those are from somewhere in the NE. It's like, the "Exodus". Very few are from the midwest, and almost NONE from the far west or SW.
In this area of Central Florida, homes are being built just as fast as the workers can build them.
And, not just homes..... new buildings for Businesses are also being built. Roads are being widened and new utilities are being installed.
I've been here 32 years now, and I've never seen such growth in homes and businesses.

Old-Soul, some of those old gals, are wearing Flip Flops with gold and jewels on them. Fancy!

For those who are planning on coming to FL, we're in our summer weather schedule, with sun in the morning, HOT midday temps and Thunderstorms in the PM. We really need to keep our car's AC and wipers, in good condition. :)

Cheers Mates

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX with IVT transaxle in Mars Orange
24 Posts
When traveling on the highway at about 60 mph, using the gear shift, I’ve shifted to manual mode and see the “S“. I then will shift it forward, and the “S” will change to “8”. However, the RPM’s shown on the tachometer do not change. They stay at about 1500 rpm. I conclude then that the transmission is already in 8th gear and manually shifting into it is not necessary. (Note that I’ve done this several times at various speeds, all at 55 mph or highe with the same result.)
I notice about a 400 RPM drop when in "8th" vs. automatic at speeds of 70 MPH or more. I kinda wonder why they didn't just allow the top "ratio" to engage at higher cruising speeds in automatic mode, like the "lockup torque converters" in automatic transaxles. Whatever the case, I use "8th" when I know I'm going to be cruising at high speeds (70 MPH or more) over long distances, like on the interstate.

·
Registered
2020 LX IVT
17 Posts
I notice about a 400 RPM drop when in "8th" vs. automatic at speeds of 70 MPH or more. I kinda wonder why they didn't just allow the top "ratio" to engage at higher cruising speeds in automatic mode, like the "lockup torque converters" in automatic transaxles. Whatever the case, I use "8th" when I know I'm going to be cruising at high speeds (70 MPH or more) over long distances, like on the interstate.
I am thinking that they do this to reduce lag --and thus increase a greater performance feel-- for the variations in the grade of the highway. Having to accelerate to maintain speed on even a light ascent requires a lot more pedal pressure in 8th than, say 6th. I've found in some conditions (including lower highway speeds) it will hold in 6th. I also imagine that for those folks who upgrade to a model with a "Eco" option, that in that option it will 'lock up' in 8th on level ground. Just think, the small cost in fuel economy maintains greater response, less "hunting" between gears, which from the manufacturer standpoint offers an advantage, when clearly they aren't competing for top fuel economy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the update done two weeks ago. Drive exclusively with the A/C on all the time and have noticed no difference in the efficiency of the transmission. Seems to be helping with highway miles per gallon performance. Just completed 80 mile drive, with the A/C and at 80 miles an hour still averaged 31.2. The best I have seen is 34.2. It does seem to hold the shift and shift more of a like a traditional transmission when moderate pedal is applied.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts