Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wanna chime in on this. I received this letter but I can’t seem to find it in my glove box. If anyone knows where I can get a copy of this please send it my way I’d like to show this to my oil changers. I don’t get my oil change at the dealership anymore. It’s a all day process and I just don’t have the money for it. I go a trusted oil changer in my town and they have been noting that my Kia burn through oil before it reaches its next oil change. I admit I let some oil changes go a little pass it’s due date but lately I’ve been on point even 2 weeks before and it still happens (mileage not going over either) . They find it strange that my oil is burning through. Even now I don’t drive my car as much cuz of covid and I have another car to switch between it keeps happening. My oil changer said another Kia Soul owner was experiencing the same issue and after getting the engine fixed (under warranty) at the dealership, the engine blew out. The guy had to come to pick up records of his oil changes to show the dealership that he’s been on point with them as well. Maybe this is way. It didn’t have this issue up until the last year and half.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,395 Posts
I wanna chime in on this. I received this letter but I can’t seem to find it in my glove box. If anyone knows where I can get a copy of this please send it my way I’d like to show this to my oil changers. I don’t get my oil change at the dealership anymore. It’s a all day process and I just don’t have the money for it. I go a trusted oil changer in my town and they have been noting that my Kia burn through oil before it reaches its next oil change. I admit I let some oil changes go a little pass it’s due date but lately I’ve been on point even 2 weeks before and it still happens (mileage not going over either) . They find it strange that my oil is burning through. Even now I don’t drive my car as much cuz of covid and I have another car to switch between it keeps happening. My oil changer said another Kia Soul owner was experiencing the same issue and after getting the engine fixed (under warranty) at the dealership, the engine blew out. The guy had to come to pick up records of his oil changes to show the dealership that he’s been on point with them as well. Maybe this is way. It didn’t have this issue up until the last year and half.
You can download a copy of the letter in my Post #33 in this thread.

Reactions: Neanderthal

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello from Alaska. We've had a 2016 KIA Soul Base 1.6L AT since 4/17. It's proven to be a reliable year round ride (+80F to -50F) for about 23K miles. Dealer serviced every 3500 miles since new, but now by Toyota (their full synthetic 5W-20) as KIA left our far north country. They say they have warranty access from KIA. Use top tier gas and did the CRC intake twice per the instructions - prior to last two oil replacements or over 7K miles total - and Techron fed every tank before the drain. First CRC I plugged a 4-lane road with smoke behind me during post-op acceleration. Last spray flush there was very little emitted. The PCV valve is clean - I flush it every oil change with brake cleaner. So far with limited miles so good, but I do hit the redline when traffic permits.

One question please. Is frequent closed throttle deceleration likely to suck in more oil to the intake valve and piston ring area? It would seem so given a potential for higher cylinder vacuum if sealed by the throttle body and with low cylinder combustion to seal rings but that may only be a guess.

Comments?

Gary

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
362 Posts

One question please. Is frequent closed throttle deceleration likely to suck in more oil to the intake valve and piston ring area? It would seem so given a potential for higher cylinder vacuum if sealed by the throttle body and with low cylinder combustion to seal rings but that may only be a guess.
Welcome to the board Gary. I like your engine maintenance program. I continue to use top quality 5W20 synthetic oil and so far the oil loss is minimal, not much more than what I would expect with a well maintained MPI engine.

As for your question..... short answer do not know.... but if I understand "frequent closed throttle deceleration", I would be inclined to answer perhaps but in terms of overall ultimate impact, it is negligible.

Driving the Soul up and down hills all the time seems to be beneficial. I suspect that the increased heat and throughput generated on hill climbs contributes to keeping deposits to a minimum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks folks for the welcome. I guess my pondering was basically relative to manual vs auto trans Souls....manual perhaps having more on-off-on throttle (like closed when off throttle) between gears than an auto trans would. If the valve guides allow sufficient oil passage that could contribute to deposits. But it would take some comparative data to tell. I need to monitor my spark plugs for deposits and will start that soon.

I'm 74 and have owned many vehicles. For us the KIA Soul has been great...for the price....for the features....for the warranty (so far).....and overall value.

Gary

·
Registered
283 Posts
"Driving the Soul up and down hills all the time seems to be beneficial."
Funny(sad), but the Soul is driven all over the world in all conditions. It was designed to be a city stop & go daily driver🌎🌍🌏 Yes, a grocery getter! What could be better? 🚗🚕🚙

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Kia tested for tough conditions

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just got a letter from KIA today, the guts of it is they apparently consider almost everything to be severe conditions driving and therefore "suggest" O&F at six months or 3750 miles. Turbos six months or 3000 miles.

PLEASE KEEP THIS LETTER IN THE GLOVEBOX OF YOUR VEHICLE.

Basically do this or your warranty is kaput.

Have there been a bunch of engine failures we're not hearing about?

Too bad they didn't send my title along with this handy courtesy notice.
Can you email me a copy of the letter,
[email protected]

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
101 - 110 of 110 Posts