Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a letter from KIA today, the guts of it is they apparently consider almost everything to be severe conditions driving and therefore "suggest" O&F at six months or 3750 miles. Turbos six months or 3000 miles.

PLEASE KEEP THIS LETTER IN THE GLOVEBOX OF YOUR VEHICLE.

Basically do this or your warranty is kaput.

Have there been a bunch of engine failures we're not hearing about?

Too bad they didn't send my title along with this handy courtesy notice.

Reactions: Robert3430

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,396 Posts
I just got a letter from KIA today, the guts of it is they apparently consider almost everything to be severe conditions driving and therefore "suggest" O&F at six months or 3750 miles. Turbos six months or 3000 miles.

Basically do this or your warranty is kaput.

Have there been a bunch of engine failures we're not hearing about?

Too bad they didn't send my title along with this handy courtesy notice.
I wonder what it means for folks who have been doing "normal" usage oil changes for years? Warranty Void?

Just from this forum and NHTSA we know there's been, what seems like, a higher number of engine fails and replacement. I would guess that there is even more who don't get recorded on these sites.

I hope your title shows up soon!

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
815 Posts
Kia may be trying to address the failures that occur due to owners not checking the oil between OCIs.

·
Registered
830 Posts
It's funny that my dealer says here in MI we are severe duty, but they set my reminder at 5,000 miles. I'll stick with my synthetic 5K changes and blame the dealer if my engine blows

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kia may be trying to address the failures that occur due to owners not checking the oil between OCIs.
I can't recall the last time I saw someone checking the oil at a gas station.
KIA always overfills mine even when I tell them not to. Probably as insurance against whatever issues KIA Engineering has with engine design.

It's funny that my dealer says here in MI we are severe duty, but they set my reminder at 5,000 miles. I'll stick with my synthetic 5K changes and blame the dealer if my engine blows

Get it in writing or it didn't happen.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm good.

To be honest, I've only had one bad dealer experience in my life and I worked in the warranty software business for awhile. Kia won't refuse warranty to a customer that had one of their dealers religiously change their oil with synthetic every 5k. My 2004 Nissan Maxima also called for 3750 mile change intervals. I told the service mgr I thought that was extreme, he told me not to worry about it and change it at 5k. My son still drives that call with almost 300k miles on it.

I know many of you think I'm crazy and maybe I am, but I don't think I'd have any warranty trouble from Kia. But again, I don't think I'll need engine work anyway (I likely just jinxed myself )

·
Registered
815 Posts
Me either but I don't check the oil at the gas station. I don't like the conditions. I usually check before I leave or later after one of my weekly grocery shops after the oil has settled. I'm the guy in the parking lot with my engine hood up.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Supposedly they've been encountering problems with sludge. Probably people using cheap-ass oil and never changing it.

I'd been changing my oil between 5,000 miles and 6,500 miles, but using top-shelf synthetic oil. No sludge, and I can prove it.

I'll reduce the OCI for warranty-preservation purposes, but I really think this is a case of a few tightwads who really believe that "oil is oil."

Richard

·
Registered
192 Posts
KIA always overfills mine even when I tell them not to. Probably as insurance against whatever issues KIA Engineering has with engine design.

I'm anal about oil - I check my oil levels on all of my cars at every gas fill up. My Honda Del Sol uses some oil - but it seems random. It's not leaking and it's not smoking... weird. It's got 240K miles on it though.

·
Registered
283 Posts
"Basically do this or your warranty is kaput."

Six months mostly in the garage with just a few hundred miles on the clock:rolleyes:better change the oil & filter or else?
Do you really believe this letter constitutes a legally binding document...or we're screwed?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Supposedly they've been encountering problems with sludge. Probably people using cheap-ass oil and never changing it.

I'd been changing my oil between 5,000 miles and 6,500 miles, but using top-shelf synthetic oil. No sludge, and I can prove it.

I'll reduce the OCI for warranty-preservation purposes, but I really think this is a case of a few tightwads who really believe that "oil is oil."

Richard
I hadn't thought about the "oil is oil" folks. Buying the cheapest garbage dino for sale from Family Dollar or Dollar Tree and the cheapest filter known to man... and then going past the OCI. I prefer to spend some bucks on oil and tires. Good synthetic oil and a good oil filter (Napa Gold or Kia OEM) keeps your engine like new and good tires can save your life. I have never once had an oil related problem with any car that I put synthetic in. (knock on wood). Oil not only lubricates but cools your engine. A dirty thick oil doesn't cool an engine properly. If I look into my engines on my cars with synthetic, the insides are shiny and clean as a whistle. I've gone with people to look at used cars they want to buy - look in the oil filler hole and do the scratch test. Scratch the surface under the valve cover - I've seen some crusty gunk before - I said just walk away. :) That's a result of crappy oil changes/no oil changes. At least with a good synthetic if you do go over on the OCI you know your oil is still protecting and cleaning. Not so on dino.

Reactions: GeekOnTheHill

·
Registered
815 Posts
I hadn't thought about the "oil is oil" folks. Buying the cheapest garbage dino for sale from Family Dollar or Dollar Tree and the cheapest filter known to man... and then going past the OCI. I prefer to spend some bucks on oil and tires. Good synthetic oil and a good oil filter (Napa Gold or Kia OEM) keeps your engine like new and good tires can save your life. I have never once had an oil related problem with any car that I put synthetic in. (knock on wood). Oil not only lubricates but cools your engine. A dirty thick oil doesn't cool an engine properly. If I look into my engines on my cars with synthetic, the insides are shiny and clean as a whistle. I've gone with people to look at used cars they want to buy - look in the oil filler hole and do the scratch test. Scratch the surface under the valve cover - I've seen some crusty gunk before - I said just walk away. :) That's a result of crappy oil changes/no oil changes. At least with a good synthetic if you do go over on the OCI you know your oil is still protecting and cleaning. Not so on dino.
Go to a Chain, Lube Shop every 7500 miles or so and never worry 'bout a thing.

·
Registered
283 Posts
"..so and never worry 'bout a thing."
Yes! As long as you can avoid going to the dealership with a big problem.:confused:

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,396 Posts
The bottom line to this letter is advising that the mileage between oil changes, per owner's manual, was more marketing driven than engineer driven.
True words!

I was also thinking how the 1.6ltr only uses approx. 3.8qts, of which about .8 is probably in the bottom of the oil pan & in the filter. Imagine the duty placed on just 3 qts of oil volume over 7,500 or even more miles. Even just the dirt particles concentrated in a small amount of oil.

Then think of someone letting it get down 1 or 2 quarts. That's alot to ask of 1 or 2 remaining quarts of oil.

Like Doc says, it sounds good in a brochure, but is it really best for the engine??

·
Registered
121 Posts
Did not see a form. I called Kia and verified that I was registered as owner and have the 5 year bumper to bumper and 10 year 100k warranty. That's from the original in service date, which was mid 2018.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts