Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my little lunch box, but the brakes are pretty crappy. I can live with the lack of fast engine, and a so-so 28 mpg, but those brakes are getting some attention!!!

They really do suck! :chuncky:

Thought my digging around and knowing that my motorcycles all get EBC. Having ridden bikes most of my life, drove big rigs (up 17 axles, and 250K lbs), I know what brakes are supposed to feel like.

So, tomorrow, we will be doing the front, just to see how that changes things. If I like the results, the back will get done ASAP.

So, what the groups opinion on EBC Yellow Stuff brakes?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I'm more interested in what your impressions are when you're done. I personally have never had good luck with aftermarket brake systems for any vehicle *with the exception* of disc brake retrofit systems that were made for my old Mustangs (65-70). It's been a little while since I worked on them but if I remember right the retrofit was just a modern Mustang Ford setup.

Maybe they're different on the 2014 up but I feel that the brakes are pretty decent on my 2013. I've got more than a million miles of ass time on all kinds of cars and I think they're not bad overall.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I love my little lunch box, but the brakes are pretty crappy. I can live with the lack of fast engine, and a so-so 28 mpg, but those brakes are getting some attention!!!

Thought my digging around and knowing that my motorcycles all get EBC. Having ridden bikes most of my life, drove big rigs (up 17 axles, and 250K lbs), I know what brakes are supposed to feel like.

So, tomorrow, we will be doing the front, just to see how that changes things. If I like the results, the back will get done ASAP.

Do you race that Hamster?? Wouldn't you be better served with Greenstuff? Would be a lot easier on the rotors I would think.

·
Registered
160 Posts
EBC brakes on this car without upgrading the engine and suspension exhuaust etc. to significantly increase performance is super overkill. That being said, if you want to upgrade the brakes I would go to Rockauto.com and get the Centric slotted stoptech rotors and the Akebono brake pads. This should provide a nice improvement in braking performance without costing to much and be much more appropriate for this vehicle.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Coming from an extensive motorcycle background and being an inherent late braker, I have always found our 2012 soul's brakes to be adequate.
Stellar...perhaps not but certainly adequate for an everyday driver.
While heat is normally an advesary for brakes it becomes an ally when using high performance pads.
High performance & race grades need heat to get them up to operating temp much like high performance tires.
We sometimes do ourselves a disservice by upgrading the pads to a too aggressive compound because we cant get enough heat to utilize their sporting potential.
I have used brand name pads such as bendix and currently wagner with good results.
Our 2012 soul stops reliably wet or dry hot or cold!
While performance pads and braided brake lines are often welcome upgrades for motorcycles they can be urge-overkill for ones daily driver.
Another consideration for brakes, like tires, is the coefficient of wear vs adhesion.
How long they last vs how well they wear and will the trade-off be worth it?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Thought my digging around and knowing that my motorcycles all get EBC.
What do you feel is wrong with the brakes? I feel like mine are fine on my new '16... and there's a lot more than just EBC if you're looking at pad upgrades.
I'm more interested in what your impressions are when you're done. I personally have never had good luck with aftermarket brake systems for any vehicle *with the exception* of disc brake retrofit systems that were made for my old Mustangs (65-70). It's been a little while since I worked on them but if I remember right the retrofit was just a modern Mustang Ford setup.
I've had lots of luck with properly sized caliper/rotor upgrades. Maybe the ones you drove upset the balance of the cars. I loved my Wilwood setup on my Civic, and the Stoptechs on my S2000 are AWESOME. Neither one cheap in the slightest, but worth it.
EBC brakes on this car without upgrading the engine and suspension exhuaust etc. to significantly increase performance is super overkill. That being said, if you want to upgrade the brakes I would go to Rockauto.com and get the Centric slotted stoptech rotors and the Akebono brake pads. This should provide a nice improvement in braking performance without costing to much and be much more appropriate for this vehicle.
Agreed on overkill. A Soul can stop just fine once or twice, and the engine doesn't have enough power to keep getting the car up to speed for repeated stopping that will really fade the brakes, and definitely not on public streets. Maybe he has air in the lines? Bad pads?
Coming from an extensive motorcycle background and being an inherent late braker, I have always found our 2012 soul's brakes to be adequate.
While heat is normally the enemy for brakes it becomes an ally when using high performance pads.
High performance & race grades need heat to get them up to operating temp much like high performance tires.
Yellow might be too much for a stock Soul...

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,616 Posts
What do you feel is wrong with the brakes? I feel like mine are fine on my new '16...

Agreed on overkill. A Soul can stop just fine once or twice, and the engine doesn't have enough power to keep getting the car up to speed for repeated stopping that will really fade the brakes, and definitely not on public streets. Maybe he has air in the lines? Bad pads?
I agree with your first statement, my brakes are fine.

OP, bike brakes are different from car brakes. Ditto semi-trailer. No, a passenger car is not going to "feel" like a bike or an 80,000 lb. vehicle. Why should it?

Soul or any other car on the road has PLENTY of power to get to 80 for repeated stops. Go find an available deserted airport somewhere if you want to play.

I'm not seeing the issue.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Soul or any other car on the road has PLENTY of power to get to 80 for repeated stops. Go find an available deserted airport somewhere if you want to play.
I honestly haven't tried with the Soul... still taking it easy on engine break-in since it's new. What I'm saying is that I highly doubt even extreme street driving conditions will fade the stock Soul brakes. If you do nothing but 0-80-0 stops over and over again I'm sure you could heat soak the brakes, but the OP hasn't said what part of the brake system he doesn't like- just that they don't feel like he thinks they should compared to his prior experience on motorcycles and big rigs. Valid comparison? Not in my eyes. 0-80 with the Soul's economy power engine should be enough to cool the rotors off. I guess I'll try when the kids are asleep in a few weeks.

Maybe he wants more initial bite? Maybe he's on the race track with his Soul? Maybe he thinks the brakes are squishy feeling (nothing to do with the pads)? Maybe he's trying to drift a FWD car and the e-brake isn't good enough to square out the rear tires? Maybe he's running 20s and feels some brake rotor size envy vs the Aston Martin he saw yesterday? Maybe the stock tires squirm too much on a panic stop and he doesn't like it? Dunno.

:Yay:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I could not find the pads anywhere in DFW.....:upset: I was running around taking care of errands. Had to stop off at Academy Sports.......thats when the brake replacement came to a halt (no pun).
$950 later I have a new long range plinker. Savage 10 BA Stealth in 6.5 Creedmoor.

With the rebate and some bonus bucks, I will have $600 in it.......the brakes can wait... LOL

Still going with either the Yellow Stuff or the Red Stuff. :D

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts
I honestly haven't tried with the Soul... still taking it easy on engine break-in since it's new. What I'm saying is that I highly doubt even extreme street driving conditions will fade the stock Soul brakes. If you do nothing but 0-80-0 stops over and over again I'm sure you could heat soak the brakes, but the OP hasn't said what part of the brake system he doesn't like- just that they don't feel like he thinks they should compared to his prior experience on motorcycles and big rigs. Valid comparison? Not in my eyes. 0-80 with the Soul's economy power engine should be enough to cool the rotors off. I guess I'll try when the kids are asleep in a few weeks.

Maybe he wants more initial bite? Maybe he's on the race track with his Soul? Maybe he thinks the brakes are squishy feeling (nothing to do with the pads)? Maybe he's trying to drift a FWD car and the e-brake isn't good enough to square out the rear tires? Maybe he's running 20s and feels some brake rotor size envy vs the Aston Martin he saw yesterday? Maybe the stock tires squirm too much on a panic stop and he doesn't like it? Dunno.

:Yay:
Ha! Thanks for the laffs.

Unless he's tracking the car, oh well it's his money...

Due to a recessive O/C gene, I happen to have printed a bunch of Car and Driver Track Sheets. Those are the basic performance stats. I found a couple handy, a 2014 + and a 2017 ! turbo. Turbo has slightly larger front discs.
They do six 70-0 stops in quick succession. The + shows 164, 161, 162, 165, 166' fade "none."
The ! shows 170, 172, 169, 169, 171, & 169', fade "none." So real live track tests show pretty good consistency and no fade.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I've used EBC's greenstuff; good brakes, but not wowed by them, so for the 1/3 the price, went to wagner quick-stop brake pads last round.

Greg

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I find that the brakes on my 2016 SX are perfectly adequate.

Pat.

Reactions: Soul.Master.007

·
Registered
243 Posts
I happen to have printed a bunch of Car and Driver Track Sheets. Those are the basic performance stats. I found a couple handy, a 2014 + and a 2017 ! turbo. Turbo has slightly larger front discs.
Were they testing a pre-production model? All the info I've seen says the turbos still have 280mm rotors which has been standard for Souls thus far.

Dual piston calipers clamping 293mm rotors on my AM1.

For anyone serious about brake upgrades, I'm sure my 'OEM big brake kit' would be easily adapted to Gen 2's if it's not already bolt-on.

·
Registered
435 Posts

Due to a recessive O/C gene, I happen to have printed a bunch of Car and Driver Track Sheets. Those are the basic performance stats. I found a couple handy, a 2014 + and a 2017 ! turbo. Turbo has slightly larger front discs.
They do six 70-0 stops in quick succession. The + shows 164, 161, 162, 165, 166' fade "none."
The ! shows 170, 172, 169, 169, 171, & 169', fade "none." So real live track tests show pretty good consistency and no fade.
Nice! What issue was that article in?
Were they testing a pre-production model? All the info I've seen says the turbos still have 280mm rotors which has been standard for Souls thus far.

For anyone serious about brake upgrades, I'm sure my 'OEM big brake kit' would be easily adapted to Gen 2's if it's not already bolt-on.
More info about this please. What did you do about front/rear balance?

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts

The tests are dated 2/27/12 and 11/16/17. Don't know the issue. Just go to the Car and Driver website and look for KIA Soul tests. At the test there's a Track Sheet tab.

KIA website has specs. This from MY 2017, base, plus, exclaim:

BRAKES
Brake Type

4-Wheel Disc with Antilock Braking System (ABS)

Front Diameter (in.)

11.0"

11.0"

12.0"

Rear Diameter (in.)

·
Premium Member
49 Posts

EBC is a great brand for brakes! Let me know if you want me to help you find anything and get you some pricing!

·
Registered
211 Posts

If I remember right it's 03 Hyundai xg350 calipers and rotors from a Hyundai Santa Fe

·
Registered
435 Posts
The tests are dated 2/27/12 and 11/16/17. Don't know the issue. Just go to the Car and Driver website and look for KIA Soul tests. At the test there's a Track Sheet tab.

KIA website has specs. This from MY 2017, base, plus, exclaim:
Ok, so could theoretically use turbo calipers and rotors. Time to research.
If I remember right it's 03 Hyundai xg350 calipers and rotors from a Hyundai Santa Fe
No adapter required to bolt the caliper to the steering knuckle? No issues with brake balance front to rear?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts