Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Let's make a anti theft device together for the Kia Souls

8K views 62 replies 25 participants last post by  malukwes 
#1 ·
Back in the day there were steering column covers made of metal to protect the covers and ignition in the column from access .
It looks like this is the weak point on the Kias .

I looked around and there are none for the Kias .
Let's fix that.
(This came close - Lok-Itt :: Models :: P300)

Anyone have laser measurer for the column dimensions?
Anyone have access to machinery to stamp metal to those dimensions?

Other questions:
Are all kia columns the same type?
Would it be better to have a permanent one or an removable one ?

If this works we could become the Weathertech of custom steering column covers .

#9 ·
In my neck of the woods you aren't allowed to boot your vehicle. Even worse is laws that don't allow cops to pursue a stolen vehicle in most instances (I guess because it's just property).
Booting cars now illegal on private property

#26 ·
We bought our 2012 Soul a couple of years ago and set it up to tow behind our motorhome. Even though it already had an after-market security system, I was concerned about leaving the key in the ignition when towing (per Kia's flat-towing instructions) so had the system upgraded. I looked at several DIY options and then decided to have a dealer do it. I called around and couldn't find an installer who could do a system with full security when the car is being used normally but still disable the car and have the alarm when being towed but disable features like the shock sensor, so it doesn't go off when the car hits a pothole. I finally found a place just 10 minutes from my house who could, so had that done. Now the system has a regular mode and a tow mode that is automatically set. Just hit the key fob to lock the doors and it's set to the appropriate mode. And in both modes, it disables the starter, fuel pump, and ignition separately. $600 and done. Any car can be stolen but the likelihood of having that happen can be greatly reduced.

Tire Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire

#30 ·
Anyone familiar with driving a manual will figure it out easy enough. They’re all similar. The part that took me a few minutes to figure out was where reverse was. I was used to right and down. Not left and up.

But if you don’t know how to drive a manual the shift pattern is the least of your worries.

#41 ·
I think I've had cars with reverse in all 4 spots - front left, front right, back left, back right. Most common that I remember is back right, which is where my Miata is and where my Japanese trucks were. It actually makes it a little tricky for me to remember when I get in the Miata from driving the Kia that there's no 6th gear because that's where reverse is, and there's no lockout of reverse on my Miata - you're just going to get a truckload of grinding. The saving grace is you do have to push a little further right, it's not a straight shot down. It's actually kind of odd to have reverse near first, as most vehicles don't do this to avoid shifting into the one you don't really want. The Soul has a lockout so that kind of solves that problem, but in the old days there wasn't any lockout just your feel of the shift gate. Back right is the most sensible place on a left-hand drive vehicle, as I've never seen one that pulled the shifter towards you as you climbed gears. Back right reverse and front left first ensures you go right where you want to go.

#34 ·
What's the first thing a car thief would look for when he/she walks up to a possible car to steal?
Almost invariably, they would look to see if the keys are still in the car.
But, while looking for keys they couldn't help but notice the Flashing RED LED, on the dashboard. That's not usual, and could only mean something extra has been installed in the car. It would be enough to make most car theives move on to greener pastures, so to speak. And, a single flashing RED LED would only cost less than a cup of coffee, at most restaurants.
It could also be wired in so that it only flashed when the ignition was off, so as to not be distracting to the driver while the car was being driven.
:cool:

#35 ·
What's the first thing a car thief would look for when he/she walks up to a possible car to steal?
Almost invariably, they would look to see if the keys are still in the car.
But, while looking for keys they couldn't help but notice the Flashing RED LED, on the dashboard. That's not usual, and could only mean something extra has been installed in the car. It would be enough to make most car theives move on to greener pastures, so to speak. And, a single flashing RED LED would only cost less than a cup of coffee, at most restaurants.
It could also be wired in so that it only flashed when the ignition was off, so as to not be distracting to the driver while the car was being driven.
:cool:
The idea has merit. Could be powered from the the outlets below the cell phone shelf, at least in my 2022EX. A short cord with an in line switch would work in my case since I park overnight in a garage. I'll have to check if the outlets are powered when the ignition is off.

#46 ·
Where did you place the push-to-start button billy?

#50 ·
The video says you lose the steering lock feature. If you put the start/stop button elsewhere, you must always still put the key in the ignition and never remove it while driving, as the steering wheel will lock.