Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Registered
2,429 Posts
that might be fun to put on your buddy's car ....lol
A bunch of us put one of our buddy's cars (A VW Golf) on his front porch when we were in high school. I can't even remember where we grabbed that car to lift it up but there were about 10 of us and it was not as hard as it sounds. It might have still been a VW Rabbit back then, can't remember for sure - early 80s. Anyway that was a pretty effective anti-theft device :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
2020 KIA SOUL GT Turbo
49 Posts
A bunch of us put one of our buddy's cars (A VW Golf) on his front porch when we were in high school. I can't even remember where we grabbed that car to lift it up but there were about 10 of us and it was not as hard as it sounds. It might have still been a VW Rabbit back then, can't remember for sure - early 80s. Anyway that was a pretty effective anti-theft device :ROFLMAO:
We did the almost same , this musclehead drove a LeCar...junk... but anyway 6 of us picked his car up and carried it down the street to a different parking spot ....lol

· Registered
2012 Soul Base, Green
8 Posts
We bought our 2012 Soul a couple of years ago and set it up to tow behind our motorhome. Even though it already had an after-market security system, I was concerned about leaving the key in the ignition when towing (per Kia's flat-towing instructions) so had the system upgraded. I looked at several DIY options and then decided to have a dealer do it. I called around and couldn't find an installer who could do a system with full security when the car is being used normally but still disable the car and have the alarm when being towed but disable features like the shock sensor, so it doesn't go off when the car hits a pothole. I finally found a place just 10 minutes from my house who could, so had that done. Now the system has a regular mode and a tow mode that is automatically set. Just hit the key fob to lock the doors and it's set to the appropriate mode. And in both modes, it disables the starter, fuel pump, and ignition separately. $600 and done. Any car can be stolen but the likelihood of having that happen can be greatly reduced.

Tire Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
533 Posts
Mine came from the factory with a third pedal on the floor and no indication on how to shift it into D. Seems to be a really good and simple antitheft system these days.
It's worked for me before- someone broke into my truck and ripped out all the exposed wires- but couldn't get it out of the driveway!
Saw these on eBay.....
View attachment 141409
If I was going to run the sticker on my car, I wouldn't want to advertise the shift pattern...

· Registered
2,138 Posts
Anyone familiar with driving a manual will figure it out easy enough. They’re all similar. The part that took me a few minutes to figure out was where reverse was. I was used to right and down. Not left and up.

But if you don’t know how to drive a manual the shift pattern is the least of your worries.

· Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
669 Posts
Geeze I remember the Renault LeCar. Was it a 3 cylinder or 3 lug bolts per wheel ... Maybe both. Sold in the US at AMC dealers in the 80's, I think Renault bought AMC before dumping it on Chrysler.
It was 3 lug bolts, the minimum needed to prevent wobble (but important to keep them all tight, handling got weird when a wheel was about to fall off), 4 cylinders. French, you know. I had one. In its defense, when it was new, the only car that cost less was a Chevy "Scooter" (stripped Chevette). The LeCar was actually very nice for the price, apart from being in the era of a zillion vacuum hoses for pollution control. You got used to the French weirdness. First car I had with cupholders built-in. (Some time before that, I had a 3-cylinder SAAB. 2-cycle, pour a quart of oil into the tank with each fill-up.)

· Registered
3,107 Posts
What's the first thing a car thief would look for when he/she walks up to a possible car to steal?
Almost invariably, they would look to see if the keys are still in the car.
But, while looking for keys they couldn't help but notice the Flashing RED LED, on the dashboard. That's not usual, and could only mean something extra has been installed in the car. It would be enough to make most car theives move on to greener pastures, so to speak. And, a single flashing RED LED would only cost less than a cup of coffee, at most restaurants.
It could also be wired in so that it only flashed when the ignition was off, so as to not be distracting to the driver while the car was being driven.
:cool:

· Registered
239 Posts
What's the first thing a car thief would look for when he/she walks up to a possible car to steal?
Almost invariably, they would look to see if the keys are still in the car.
But, while looking for keys they couldn't help but notice the Flashing RED LED, on the dashboard. That's not usual, and could only mean something extra has been installed in the car. It would be enough to make most car theives move on to greener pastures, so to speak. And, a single flashing RED LED would only cost less than a cup of coffee, at most restaurants.
It could also be wired in so that it only flashed when the ignition was off, so as to not be distracting to the driver while the car was being driven.
:cool:
The idea has merit. Could be powered from the the outlets below the cell phone shelf, at least in my 2022EX. A short cord with an in line switch would work in my case since I park overnight in a garage. I'll have to check if the outlets are powered when the ignition is off.

· Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
308 Posts
It was 3 lug bolts, the minimum needed to prevent wobble (but important to keep them all tight, handling got weird when a wheel was about to fall off), 4 cylinders. French, you know. I had one. In its defense, when it was new, the only car that cost less was a Chevy "Scooter" (stripped Chevette). The LeCar was actually very nice for the price, apart from being in the era of a zillion vacuum hoses for pollution control. You got used to the French weirdness. First car I had with cupholders built-in. (Some time before that, I had a 3-cylinder SAAB. 2-cycle, pour a quart of oil into the tank with each fill-up.)
I had one of those Saab's that you mixed the oil and gas together. Three cylinder with a free wheeling clutch. It was front wheel drive back when most cars were rear wheel drive. A strange, but lovable car for sure.

· Registered
2014 1.6l manual
968 Posts
...A strange, but lovable car for sure.
During an internship there was guy who had an old Saab. Maybe was a 3 cylinder but not sure. Remember it being a manual transmission with the gear shift on the steering column which I'd not seen before.

My brother once bought a Saab. His reason for buying - he figured any car that could run off a Swedish mountain road, roll over & over down the mountain, and the driver survive, was the car he wanted to own and drive.

· Registered
2012 Soul, 1.6, 6 speed manual
32 Posts
Mine came from the factory with a third pedal on the floor and no indication on how to shift it into D. Seems to be a really good and simple antitheft system these days.
Funny story: two Souls, mine and my wife's. I got into hers, and could not for the life of me figure out why it would not go into first gear when I pushed the shifter all the way forward. Maybe an automatic is the antitheft device that will stop me if I take up a life of crime!

· Registered
2012 Soul, 1.6, 6 speed manual
32 Posts
Funny story: two Souls, mine and my wife's. I got into hers, and could not for the life of me figure out why it would not go into first gear when I pushed the shifter all the way forward. Maybe an automatic is the antitheft device that will stop me if I take up a life of crime!
She does have the manual shifting option, which is nice. I was able to drive the car, once I rememebered which one it was.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts