Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
2021 Kia Soul LX
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the day there were steering column covers made of metal to protect the covers and ignition in the column from access .
It looks like this is the weak point on the Kias .

I looked around and there are none for the Kias .
Let's fix that.
(This came close - Lok-Itt :: Models :: P300)

Anyone have laser measurer for the column dimensions?
Anyone have access to machinery to stamp metal to those dimensions?

Other questions:
Are all kia columns the same type?
Would it be better to have a permanent one or an removable one ?

If this works we could become the Weathertech of custom steering column covers .

· Registered
243 Posts
Back in the day there were steering column covers made of metal to protect the covers and ignition in the column from access .
It looks like this is the weak point on the Kias .

I looked around and there are none for the Kias .
Let's fix that.
(This came close - Lok-Itt :: Models :: P300)

Anyone have laser measurer for the column dimensions?
Anyone have access to machinery to stamp metal to those dimensions?

Other questions:
Are all kia columns the same type?
Would it be better to have a permanent one or an removable one ?

If this works we could become the Weathertech of custom steering column covers .
I still like the ignition kill switch. Had one on a VW Bug and it worked well in Detroit. Maybe then have no column cover to discourage pissed off vandilism.

· Registered
2020 Soul LX with 3 pedals!
166 Posts
Mine has an aftermarket alarm installed by the dealer. I won't test my theory, but suspect I could leave the car unlocked in my driveway with key in the ignition, and it would go nowhere. :)
Mine came from the factory with a third pedal on the floor and no indication on how to shift it into D. Seems to be a really good and simple antitheft system these days.

· Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
9,070 Posts

· Registered
2016 Soul !
388 Posts
In my neck of the woods you aren't allowed to boot your vehicle. Even worse is laws that don't allow cops to pursue a stolen vehicle in most instances (I guess because it's just property).
Booting cars now illegal on private property
You got my curiosity up I had to go read the article. I haven't read the actual law but the article at least just talked about booting other people's cars on your property, holding them for ransom.

I really can't see how using a boot on your own car as an anti theft device on your own property could get you in trouble. But is the wacky left coast I guess anything is possible 🤣

· Registered
2021 Kia Soul LX
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

· Registered
2016 Kia Soul
196 Posts
You got my curiosity up I had to go read the article. I haven't read the actual law but the article at least just talked about booting other people's cars on your property, holding them for ransom.

I really can't see how using a boot on your own car as an anti theft device on your own property could get you in trouble. But is the wacky left coast I guess anything is possible 🤣
Not being allowed to protect your own property from being stolen is REALLY messed up. I guess they want you to give the thieves a fair chance out on the west coast!?

· Registered
2,235 Posts
the article at least just talked about booting other people's cars on your property, holding them for ransom....
Can't imagine you would have an issue booting your own car on your property, but have no idea why you would.
But that is not what the story said. They were booting cars in parking lots and demanding cash. Shoot 'em! :poop:

· Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
9,070 Posts
I think that is due to high speed pursuits resulting in innocent people getting injured and killed - hit by the fleeing criminals or hit by the pursuing cops.
Yeah I think you're right Tosen. But unfortunately they don't even allow them to follow them at low speed. The Police Chief in Gig Harbor said he's seen stolen cars drive by officers at slow speeds and give them the finger, knowing they legally can't follow them.

The only time police can pursue a vehicle is if they suspect impaired driving or have established probable cause — a much higher standard than reasonable suspicion – that the driver committed a violent crime, sex offense, or are an escaped felon. In cases where this standard is met, they must still determine whether a chase outweighs the risk to the public should their pursuit cause an accident.

There’s little doubt that this law has directly led to the recent surges in car theft and quick robberies where the criminal can quickly drive away, knowing even if an officer happens to arrive in time, they can’t chase. In Gig Harbor recently, there was yet another example of the law’s consequences.

Rantz: WA Dems responsible as 41,330 cars stolen, now try to ban police traffic stops

· Registered
2014 1.6l manual
984 Posts
... The Police Chief in Gig Harbor said he's seen stolen cars drive by officers at slow speeds and give them the finger, knowing they legally can't follow them....
That's bold. And unfortunate.

A lot of people would do a lot of things if they knew there were no consequences (especially in the short term) that they cared about. There need to be / should be consequences, otherwise why bother with having laws.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts